The 49ers declined to pick up Dumervil's 2018 option. He appeared in 16 games last season while registering 13 combined tackles and a team-high 6.5 sacks after signing a two-year deal with the 49ers on June 5, 2017. He has 105.5 sacks over his 12-year NFL career, which ranks 26th all-time.
"During my time with the 49ers last season, I accomplished two career milestones that I will cherish forever," wrote Dumervil within the statement. "So I thank them for that opportunity."
Dumervil got sack number 100 with the 49ers last season by bringing down Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer. He also became one of four active players to sack 50 different quarterbacks when be brought down Mitchell Trubisky in Chicago.
Dumervil has been selected to five Pro Bowls (2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015) and a two-time first-team All-Pro (2009, 2014).
Head coach Kyle Shanahan recently said the 49ers would not hesitate to bring Dumervil back if he felt it would benefit the team.
"Elvis is a guy who I have a lot of confidence in," Shanahan said on August 19. "He did a great job for us last year. If we felt like that was the right opportunity at the end of this, then Elvis is a guy that John (Lynch) and I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to."
While he believes he can still contribute on a team, Dumervil is ready to move on to the next chapter of his life.
"My body still feels great, and I know I can still help a team win," he wrote. "I will miss being on the field, particularly on Sundays. But I also have a wife and two young children who need me and a real estate business that I can now turn my attention to full-time. Football was certainly a huge part of my life but it wasn't my entire life. I look forward to my next chapter with no regrets."
Related News
More San Francisco 49ers News
-
49ers pass rush struggles: Is Cashius Howell the solution?
The San Francisco 49ers' pass rush was a major concern this past season, finishing with just 20 total sacks—the fewest in the NFL. While injuries to defensive end Nick Bosa played a role in those struggles, general manager John Lynch likely expected more consistent pressure... -
49ers re-sign OL Nick Zakelj to a one-year extension
The San Francisco 49ers have re-signed offensive lineman Nick Zakelj to a one-year extension, the team announced. Zakelj appeared in three games during the 2025 NFL season after being elevated from the practice squad for each of those matchups. The 49ers Communications staff... -
Barnwell proposes Mac Jones trade the 49ers might not be able to refuse
The San Francisco 49ers have consistently maintained that Mac Jones remains part of their plans for the 2026 NFL season. The veteran quarterback signed a two-year deal last offseason, keeping him under contract through 2026 and out of free agency until 2027. That means any... -
Where 49ers QB Brock Purdy landed in PFF's top 101 players of 2025
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy appeared in just nine games during the 2025 NFL season, missing eight contests due to a turf toe injury suffered in Week 1. Still, the former final pick of the 2022 NFL Draft did more than enough to earn recognition from Pro Football...