Things have officially changed under general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan. The 49ers were very active leading into free agency and once the Thursday start date passed. While some may feel that the team overpaid for some free agent acquisitions, they have made a statement to the NFL that the 49ers are, once again, an organization that is willing to spend money in free agency.
Of course, we haven't seen the details of each of the contracts yet, so we don't know how much of the reported money is guaranteed. Executive Vice President of Football Operations Paraag Marathe is in charge of the cap and has done a good job of managing it for years. There is no doubt that the contracts given over the past two days are team-friendly and would not cripple the 49ers down the road.
Gregg Rosenthal of "Around the NFL" and NFL Media jumped on KNBR Friday morning to talk about the 49ers' different attitude this year when it comes to free agency. "I'll say that John Lynch has not been afraid to spend money," Rosenthal said. "I mean, a lot of these guys are not 'top of the market' guys but a guy like Malcolm Smith, for instance, got 'top of the market' money. Kyle Juszczyk might get paid more than any tailback gets paid. I mean, he's making almost double what any other fullback (is making).
"I think agents were happy to see the 49ers and John Lynch be so aggressive for some guys that were really kind of mid-tier free agents but treated like they were really first day free agents."
Rosenthal was asked about the signing of Pierre Garçon. "He's known as a leader, a great guy, a worker," he said. "He knows Kyle Shanahan's system. When you're just starting out with a team, I think that's so important. Again, I think they paid a premium to get him – you know, a 30-year-old receiver – but speed's never been his game. Toughness, smarts, hands – that's all his game.
"At this point, you're seeing guys like Kenny Britt – other kind of borderline number two receivers – get $8-9 million. Garçon gets a couple more, gets more money upfront. The 49ers have so much cap space, they almost need to spend it. I look at it as a two-year deal. He's not a number one receiver at this point in his career. He only topped 800 yards in two of the last four years but he's a solid number two receiver and you've got to start somewhere and he's definitely an NFL starter."
You can listen to the entire interview on KNBR.
More San Francisco 49ers News
-
49ers record prediction has team missing playoffs during 2026 season
The battle for the NFC West crown in 2026 should be a competitive one, but some believe that competition could ultimately lead to trouble for the San Francisco 49ers. Bleacher Report's Moe Moton recently released his record predictions for the 2026 NFL season, and he has the... -
Steve Mariucci: 49ers' Brock Purdy has already proven he's good enough to win a Super Bowl
There has been no shortage of pressure placed on Brock Purdy heading into the 2026 season. After signing a massive long-term contract last year, Purdy is no longer the surprise seventh-round quarterback trying to prove he belongs. He is now firmly established as the San... -
49ers TE George Kittle's 'eye-popping' recovery progress has Rapoport impressed
There may be some who doubt that San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle will be ready to suit up for Week 1 after suffering a torn Achilles in last season's playoffs. NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport is not among the doubters. Rapoport had an opportunity to observe Kittle... -
49ers defensive rookie among new names not practicing Sunday
The San Francisco 49ers kicked off their 13th full practice of training camp on Sunday, the final session before traveling to Southern California for a joint practice with the Los Angeles Chargers. The two teams will meet in a preseason game Thursday night. Reporters on hand...