LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

2024 San Francisco Giants Season Thread

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
The idea that one player is more valuable than another player because his team had much more success is silly.
I can see it depending on the circumstances and numbers. For example, lets say Buster had put up numbers somewhat similar to Perez's this year. Given the Giants success I would have voted him over Harper for MVP even if Harper had a higher OPS. Also, it would be really hard for me to vote for an MVP for a player on a last place team unless his numbers were historic
The idea that one player is more valuable than another player because his team had much more success is silly.

I wasn't basing my argument on Posey's team being the reason he was more valuable than Perez. I was basing it on his numbers. His team having the best record in baseball is just another reflection of how much total value he brought to the lineup, the pitching staff, and the defense.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I can see it depending on the circumstances and numbers. For example, lets say Buster had put up numbers somewhat similar to Perez's this year. Given the Giants success I would have voted him over Harper for MVP even if Harper had a higher OPS. Also, it would be really hard for me to vote for an MVP for a player on a last place team unless his numbers were historic

I think team success is a good tool to use to break a tie or to settle a close race. But using a player's team's season record to justify being 1st team over someone who had a substantially better statistical season is not something I will ever get behind, regardless of who the player is.
I think team success is a good tool to use to break a tie or to settle a close race. But using a player's team's season record to justify being 1st team over someone who had a substantially better statistical season is not something I will ever get behind, regardless of who the player is.

Nobody was saying that.

Also, Perez only had a substantially better statistical season in HR and RBI's. Considering its 2021 and not 1971, I don't think that should be the deciding factor.
Mets signing everyone only to continue being mediocre to trash
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Mets signing everyone only to continue being mediocre to trash

Yep. Not the best method to go about but hey not my team 😀
Well the Mets took Marte and Canha. Suzuki time!
Mets targeting Gausman now.
No Black Friday shopping for the giants?
I want Gausman back but not if supposedly the Mets are offering 6 years and the Mariners 5 lol. I'll pass, we're supposedly offering 2-3 with high aav which isn't bad at all. Gausman would be dumb not to take the lengthy years while one of those teams will be kicking themselves

• Hopper
  • Veteran
I want Gausman back but not if supposedly the Mets are offering 6 years and the Mariners 5 lol. I'll pass, we're supposedly offering 2-3 with high aav which isn't bad at all. Gausman would be dumb not to take the lengthy years while one of those teams will be kicking themselves

I can't blame Zaidi for having cold feet to match a 5 or 6 year offer.
Originally posted by Hopper:

I can't blame Zaidi for having cold feet to match a 5 or 6 year offer.

I can't and don't blame Z for not wanting to go to 6 years. But 2-3 is pretty disrespectful. It just sucks that we could have had Gausman locked up already for a ridiculously reasonable deal if we didn't sign him to a QO last year.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Nov 27, 2021 at 11:38 PM ]
Anything over 3 years for Gausman IMHO is a reach. Not sure he can perform like he did in the first half and do so at a consistent rate. Next man up!
I can't and don't blame Z for not wanting to go to 6 years. But 2-3 is pretty disrespectful. It just sucks that we could have had Gausman locked up already for a ridiculously reasonable deal if we didn't sign him to a QO last year.

Still dont trust Gausman enough to give him 5-6 years. He fell off in the 2nd half, and never really got back to where he was. I just feel like we can find the next Gausman for cheap. Spending our money on Suzuki and Semien seems like a better option.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Still dont trust Gausman enough to give him 5-6 years. He fell off in the 2nd half, and never really got back to where he was. I just feel like we can find the next Gausman for cheap. Spending our money on Suzuki and Semien seems like a better option.

Agreed, I don't trust Gausman for that long not even close. Either way I personally don't like long term contracts for pitchers unless they're in their mid 20's heading into FA
Share 49ersWebzone