There are 239 users in the forums

2020-2021 WORLD CHAMPION Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Kobe made Pau. Its absurd to me how many people use Pau to discredit Kobe. Very good player though!

Pau was always Pau. Most didn't know because he was stuck in Memphis. I was a huge fan of his before the Lakers. I was ecstatic when we got him.

I have always been a huge fan of Pau. But the fact of the matter is, he was a fringe All Star in Memphis and a 3x All NBA player playing with Kobe and the Lakers.
Originally posted by 4ML:
The whole league was pissed when Lakers got Pau - and wanted Stern to investigate that trade. I think that pretty much tells you what other coaches and Gm thought of Pau. Of course playing next to an all time great will enhance your game.

Also - I don't know how anyone can make someone into a HOF player. Players get in HOF bc of themselves. Others help but no one makes you into a HOF player.

Pau is a HOF because of his career as a whole, not because of his NBA accolades. His international resume is incredibly impressive and is what will make him a HOFer.

FTR, I never said Kobe made him a HOFer. Kobe elevated his NBA legacy exponentially.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Kobe made Pau. Its absurd to me how many people use Pau to discredit Kobe. Very good player though!

Pau was always Pau. Most didn't know because he was stuck in Memphis. I was a huge fan of his before the Lakers. I was ecstatic when we got him.

I have always been a huge fan of Pau. But the fact of the matter is, he was a fringe All Star in Memphis and a 3x All NBA player playing with Kobe and the Lakers.

He was stuck in Memphis.

And winning helps you make All-star and All NBA teams.

He was stuck in Memphis.

In his 6 full seasons in Memphis, they were a playoff team 3 times. Winning wasnt the issue.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
The whole league was pissed when Lakers got Pau - and wanted Stern to investigate that trade. I think that pretty much tells you what other coaches and Gm thought of Pau. Of course playing next to an all time great will enhance your game.

Also - I don't know how anyone can make someone into a HOF player. Players get in HOF bc of themselves. Others help but no one makes you into a HOF player.

Pau is a HOF because of his career as a whole, not because of his NBA accolades. His international resume is incredibly impressive and is what will make him a HOFer.

FTR, I never said Kobe made him a HOFer. Kobe elevated his NBA legacy exponentially.

I disagree.

Pau Gaol has almost 21k Points in the NBA - and everyone ahead of him is in the HOF or will be in HOF.
He also has 11k+ rebounds (top 30 in the NBA History) - only a handful of players have more rebounds and are not in the HOF - and the reason they're not in HOF is because those players couldn't score.
He's also top 25 in blocks (since they started counting blocks as a stat)

He'd make the NBA HOF based just on his NBA career.

Also - You can say that about any duo where one player is clearly better than the other and they win championship(s).
It's like saying - Giannis made Jrue Holiday.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

He was stuck in Memphis.

In his 6 full seasons in Memphis, they were a playoff team 3 times. Winning wasnt the issue.

They never won more than 50 games.
In those 3 years with Lakers - he was on a team that was winning close to 60 games a season.

Big difference between averaging 48 wins and 60 wins a year.
[ Edited by 4ML on Oct 5, 2021 at 1:25 PM ]
I disagree.

Pau Gaol has almost 21k Points in the NBA - and everyone ahead of him is in the HOF or will be in HOF.
He also has 11k+ rebounds (top 30 in the NBA History) - only a handful of players have more rebounds and are not in the HOF - and the reason they're not in HOF is because those players couldn't score.

Also - You can say that about any duo where one player is clearly better than the other and they win championship(s).

This is a horrible example. Jrue Holiday has 4 personal accolades/awards as an NBA player and 3 of them came before playing with Giannis.

Pau Gasol has 12 personal accolades/awards as an NBA player and 3 of them came before playing with Kobe (2 of which being rookie awards).

He may or may not have been a HOF just on his NBA resume. But my point is, an overwhelming majority of his NBA resume was built from playing with the Lakers. That is inarguable.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I disagree.

This is a horrible example. Jrue Holiday has 4 personal accolades/awards as an NBA player and 3 of them came before playing with Giannis.

Pau Gasol has 12 personal accolades/awards as an NBA player and 3 of them came before playing with Kobe (2 of which being rookie awards).

He may or may not have been a HOF just on his NBA resume. But my point is, an overwhelming majority of his NBA resume was built from playing with the Lakers. That is inarguable.

It's not a big deal or worth arguing over this. I think I know what you're saying but I don't fully agree with it. I think Gasol made himself into what he is today. He worked hard for it and he took advantage of his opportunities - which is - playing for Lakers with an all time great player.

Ppl who diminish Kobe bc of Gasol are silly. I personally don't know of anyone like that. I think Gasol trade made Lakers the favorite in the West just like KG and Ray Allen trade made Boston the favorite in the East. Praising Gasol is in no way means you're taking something away from Kobe. Kobe himself loved Gasol and knew what Gasol meant those 3 years when Lakers made the finals.

Duh. Nobody gives a f**k about a white guy from Europe on the Memphis fcuking grizzlies. Of course he started getting more recognition playing with Kobe and the Lakers. Everybody does. lol
  • titan
  • Veteran
Duh. Nobody gives a f**k about a white guy from Europe on the Memphis fcuking grizzlies. Of course he started getting more recognition playing with Kobe and the Lakers. Everybody does. lol

This shiz made me laugh! 😂

Share 49ersWebzone