LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

***OFFICIAL 2020-21 SOCCER Thread***

Conflicted with this it's looks like we aren't offering him a new contract so he's free to go where he wants but going there anywhere but there. Despise them

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Jogi Low reminds everyone why he needs to leave by losing to North Macedonia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:

How could they lose to Macedonia? I couldn't watch the game. I am guessing they were using their young players.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by Janitor:

How could they lose to Macedonia? I couldn't watch the game. I am guessing they were using their young players.

Sadly no, it was mostly the same lineup as the other two matches.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Soccer is about to get really messy.

12 clubs announce the formation of a super league, UEFA and FIFA roundly condemn it, and will ban any team involved from EVERY Fifa sanction competition, including players being banned from the world cup.

For me, I'm on UEFA's side. No super league for the rich teams to pad their bank accounts while leaving other teams out.

Thankful that Bayern and Dortmund both rejected it.
f**k FIFA. They reject it because they've got a system in place that pads their bank account. They don't want these teams starting their own league that they don't have their hands in. There's absolutely no reason to not let these teams do what they want with their clubs.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
f**k FIFA. They reject it because they've got a system in place that pads their bank account. They don't want these teams starting their own league that they don't have their hands in. There's absolutely no reason to not let these teams do what they want with their clubs.

FIFA is no saint, we all know that, but this league is the antithesis of fair play. It's literally an elitist soccer circle jerk. The only thing it will accomplish is padding the books of 15 teams, while the normal clubs of the soccer world, one that is largely reeling due to COVID-19, get left out in the cold. This is a slap in the face of fans and clubs everywhere.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
The shadiness in setting this up is crazy. Players and coaches blindsided, at least one UEFA board member (now former) who is running the new league lied through his teeth to all his fellow board members as recently as Saturday to say none of the rumors were true.

Couple of things, I know the media have shoved the "big 6" down everyone's throats for the last few years but it's a load of bollocks.

for a start spurs haven't won their own league in 60 years. In that time Leeds have won it 3 times, Blackburn, leicester, forest, villa and many more have.

villa and forest have won they European cup. Rangers and Celtic are bigger clubs than spurs.

Leeds have reached as many European cup finals

Leeds have won more european trophies than spurs.

if this had happened in the 1950's your big clubs would have been Blackpool and Preston, Liverpool wouldn't even be in the conversation

secondly it won't happen because of the oppositions they're trying to get more money out of uefa for the champions league which in effect will do the same as making the super league the more money they have the less chance the other clubs of breaking into the "big 6"

I hope uefa and the premier league do have the balls to stand up to them and kick them out of the prem if they do go through with it. I don't know what the appetite is in America just to see "the big name players" but in England it means nothing if a) there's nothing riding on it ie no relegation b) when there's no history between the teams. They are glorified friendlies that the novelty would wear off quick.

kick them out let them play in their plastic franchise league don't let them back in to the prem

By all means, f**k fifa, but this is really bad for futbol. I don't think fans of any team including the ones included in the 12 should want this to go down.

Originally posted by Waccoe1919:

Couple of things, I know the media have shoved the "big 6" down everyone's throats for the last few years but it's a load of bollocks.

for a start spurs haven't won their own league in 60 years. In that time Leeds have won it 3 times, Blackburn, leicester, forest, villa and many more have.

villa and forest have won they European cup. Rangers and Celtic are bigger clubs than spurs.

if this had happened in the 1950's your big clubs would have been Blackpool and Preston, Liverpool wouldn't even be in the conversation

secondly it won't happen because of the oppositions they're trying to get more money out of uefa for the champions league which in effect will do the same as making the super league the more money they have the less chance the other clubs of breaking into the "big 6"

I hope uefa and the premier league do have the balls to stand up to them and kick them out of the prem if they do go through with it. I don't know what the appetite is in America just to see "the big name players" but in England it means nothing if a) there's nothing riding on it ie no relegation b) when there's no history between the teams. They are glorified friendlies that the novelty would wear off quick.

kick them out let them play in their plastic franchise league don't let them back in to the prem

So your biggest gripe is Tottenham doesn't deserve to be included in this super group? lol
  • Veteran
Speaking of Tottenham, they just sacked Mourinho.

So your biggest gripe is Tottenham doesn't deserve to be included in this super group? lol

No my gripe is it they are looking to make it a closed shop when they are worried about others breaking in at their expense that & it's a plastic franchise league
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

By all means, f**k fifa, but this is really bad for futbol. I don't think fans of any team including the ones included in the 12 should want this to go down.

Im gonna assume FIFA doesn't require revenue share like NBA/NFL does? If so, that is a problem and i can see why this is not a good look.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Apr 19, 2021 at 10:10 AM ]

No my gripe is it they are looking to make it a closed shop when they are worried about others breaking in at their expense that & it's a plastic franchise league

Plastic franchise league? What does that even mean and why would it bother you so much? I want to see the top franchises play each other. I think anything that makes that happen more often is great. If tradition is the strongest argument against it, I think that's ridiculous. Play on.
Share 49ersWebzone