LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

San Francisco Giants 2020 Off-season Thread

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

managing by data. smdh
Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Yah In a 60 game season and look at the dodgers roster compared to any ones else. They can probably get away with pulling starter earlier, let's not pretend this season was the same as a regular 162

I don't understand what your point is.

The rays win because of analytics. The fact that their entire roster costs less than the dodgers pitching rotation is a testament to that.

It's also a large part of why the giants were competitive this year. Whenever Kap didn't go by analytics and with his gut, it usually backfired horribly.

Analytics are a part of baseball now, it's time to get over not liking it. It's the reality.

I don't think Belt and Crawford have resurgent seasons without it.

Like Tim K said on ESPN, you can use analytics to win game throughout the season. But in a big game against a big team, those decisions shouldn't be left to analytics. He cited Boch would have never done that with Bum who threw a complete game shutout 2 days prior to his 5 innings WS save.

Like I have said before, I am fine with using pieces of analytics to help the club but I am not fine with relying on it or making it the primary driver. I guarantee big time pitchers lost a lot of interest in playing for Cash and the Rays after watching that decision. Its the same as when I said if I were a big time player and hitter and you sat me every couple of days due to analytics, I would not be happy.

TB does a good job with analytics, but they are also great at finding talent. An underrated amount of great players are on their club or came up through TB. Some of those signings were talent based observations, some were using data to help determine who you want. That is where I like analytics, not when deciding to pull a Cy Young award winning pitcher who is 6 innings into the biggest game of the year and throwing an absolute gem.
^Great post. Agreed.

Honestly if I am Blake Snell, I might be asking for a trade. I would be that pissed.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 30, 2020 at 10:39 AM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I agree. But that's not what Fred was saying. If he was, he didn't communicate it.

Analytics are a part of baseball and now a big part of our organization. I do hope we find a happy medium. I agree with rubber 100%, playoffs are a different beast and shouldn't be managed by analytics like what Cash did.

I also hope Kapler learns that part of managing, it's not his strong suit yet.
[ Edited by Garce on Oct 30, 2020 at 2:10 PM ]
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
I wonder if Farhan has any interest in Morton?
Anyone who thinks Cash made the right decision based on analytics is a moron. The kid was dealing, he had struck out the top 4 hitters 7 times out of 8 chances, and it was fricking game 6 in a must win. Just a terrible decision that was obvious to everyone.
Originally posted by FaTaL:

I doubt it. I think the Giants are still a year or two away from spending big bucks in free agency

I feel like he's been pitching since like. 07
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Anyone who thinks Cash made the right decision based on analytics is a moron. The kid was dealing, he had struck out the top 4 hitters 7 times out of 8 chances, and it was fricking game 6 in a must win. Just a terrible decision that was obvious to everyone.

Yep. And the decision was made because analytics says if a pitcher gets two people on in that inning or beyond its about to get bad. But it doesn't take in account everything you just said, or the fact that how they got on was a bloop that barely made it through in the first place.

Snell got robbed of a possible career defining game in the World Series. And the Rays' players got robbed of a possible game 7.

• FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zachary:
I feel like he's been pitching since like. 07

Well I'm talking about a 1 or 2 year deal. I've noticed a lot of options are not being picked up league wide. It's going to be a long winter during the cba negotiations
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran

It's so crazy to me how normal it's becoming to hit high 90s. I remember being stoked when Felix Rodriguez would hit 97
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

There using the Roboump.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zachary:
It's so crazy to me how normal it's becoming to hit high 90s. I remember being stoked when Felix Rodriguez would hit 97

I remember getting pumped up seeing nen hit 98, these day's there a lot of guys hitting 100
Share 49ersWebzone