LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

San Francisco Giants 2020 Off-season Thread

Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by FaTaL:
I hope we bring back both Smyly and Gausman, both pitched excellent overall.

I like the idea of Gausman as a closer, he could be elite. He nearly had an immaculate inning today. But either way, bring him and Smyly back. We would have an opportunity to trade at the deadline if we are out of it.

I want them both back as starters, I wonder how much it will cost?

2 years, $30 Million per player?

Garce are you insane? Neither Smyly or Gausman are anything close to $15M a year players.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Sep 28, 2020 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Garce are you insane? Neither Smyly or Gausman are anything close to $15M a year players.

Saw that lol
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran

And how much are they worth in your opinion?
Interesting.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Interesting.

Zaidi wasn't afraid to cut ties. Panda, pence, etc.

All the new guys and belt surprised tf out of me. Flores ??? Solano?? Just crazy

Anderson is worth bringing back too....

Using Garce's 2 year contract timeline, I would say Smyly is worth 2/$10-12M (which he probably wouldnt sign) and Gausman is worth 2/$16M. And even that might be aggressive.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Sep 28, 2020 at 3:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Zachary:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Interesting.

Zaidi wasn't afraid to cut ties. Panda, pence, etc.

All the new guys and belt surprised tf out of me. Flores ??? Solano?? Just crazy

Yeah, I wonder how Buster will factor into next season. He should be healthy and ready to go then.

Roboump. The time is now.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

Jake Odorizzi got re-signed to a 1 year, $17.8M Qualifying Offer last off-season.
Zach Wheeler signed a 5 year deal for $23.6M/ Year as a FA.

Both similar players and ages to Smyly and Gausman

Using Garce's 2 year contract timeline, I would say Smyly is worth 2/$10-12M (which he probably wouldnt sign) and Gausman is worth 2/$16M. And even that might be aggressive.

You're tripping. You don't have a good grasp of what these type of pitchers make. Both will make way more than that.
[ Edited by Garce on Sep 28, 2020 at 5:00 PM ]

• Garce
  • Veteran

Roboump. The time is now.

That doesn't even include Slater in the 9th.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Not really that broken up about it. This entire season was a joke. To me, the MVP & CY dont count, and the WS doesn't count. I wouldn't have even felt good about the Giants winning it all. Feels like a fake season.

I'm not going to say it Doesn't count but I was definitely not into it like every year.

60 games with weird rules is an exhibition season. Whoever wins the "World Series" should get a little 1/3 size mini trophy. IMO everything has to be excluded as its own unique season. Whoever wins MVP played 60 games. Thats just not the same thing as winning MVP over 162 games.

Jake Odorizzi got re-signed to a 1 year, $17.8M Qualifying Offer last off-season.

You're tripping. You don't have a good grasp of what these type of pitchers make. Both will make way more than that.

If you dont understand that a 1 year deal yields a larger salary than a multi year, I dont know what to tell you man.

Jake Odorizzi was an All Star last season. When has Smyly or Gausman been anywhere close to that? (Hint: never)

Smyly has a history of injury and Gausman has been below average for basically his entire career. It honestly blows my mind how much you overvalue these two.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
If you dont understand that a 1 year deal yields a larger salary than a multi year, I dont know what to tell you man.

Jake Odorizzi was an All Star last season. When has Smyly or Gausman been anywhere close to that? (Hint: never)

Smyly has a history of injury and Gausman has been below average for basically. his entire career. It honestly blows my mind how much you overvalue these two.

Gausman matching his career best year with a 3.6 era and new best k/9 at 11.9.

Smyly is a hard throwing LH starter who had a bounce back year and everyone knows has good talent when healthy.

I don't know if we will offer more than a year, that was just a guess on my part because I'm sure they will have a lot of suitors and both aren't getting younger.

Similar pitchers have gotten more than what I suggested.

Time will tell.
[ Edited by Garce on Sep 28, 2020 at 8:28 PM ]

Smyly has a history of injury and Gausman has been below average for basically his entire career. It honestly blows my mind how much you overvalue these two.

Garce tends to make impulsive, over the top opinions on things and then digs in deep. He's still waiting for Francisco Peguero's big break.
Share 49ersWebzone