There are 228 users in the forums

Houston Astros stole signs throughout their 2017 championship season.

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Baseball's integrity has been damaged for most of its history. I will continue to bring up the fact that the 1919 White Sox THREW THE WS to get a payout from the mafia, the Reds got a free title, and baseball let that stand in the books. Imagine if that happened today. How can the 2017 WS be wiped off the books and not the 1919 WS? The integrity of the game is LONG gone.

Imagine thinking punishing a team that did NOTHING wrong is the same as punishing a team who cheated to win the World Series. Couldnt be me.

Is the Reds 1919 WS legitimate?

So the Reds should be punished for following the rules?

The White Sox were the far superior team, and even trying to lose they STILL almost won. If it came out that the Rangers let the Giants win the 2010 WS for a payout, would that championship mean anything to you?
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I think the reactions of players and fans is enough to prove vacating the title would have been received fine outside the city of Houston. And the Astros players should have been punished some how. Manfred absolutely f**ked this up.

Agree
My POV on vacating the title has changed.
Make them give back the trophy and suspend every player, coach and FO person involved.

Its hard to suspend the players bc which player cheated? Did they all cheat, was it just several? You will not be able to get clear result. Getting rid of the manager and GM was good. But supposedly this was also started by some intern whos still with the team and hes received multipe promotions.

The fine should've been much bigger. And if you're not gonna take away their trophy (that Manfred called just a piece of metal) and not give them a post season ban, then it should've been like 5 years worth of draft picks taken away. This punishment was a joke.

A post season ban would screw up the integrity of the regular season. The games have to mean something and the best teams have to make the postseason.

Draft picks and fines and taking back the metal and refusing to officially honor the team as a WS winner is all good IMO.
Baseball's integrity has been damaged for most of its history. I will continue to bring up the fact that the 1919 White Sox THREW THE WS to get a payout from the mafia, the Reds got a free title, and baseball let that stand in the books. Imagine if that happened today. How can the 2017 WS be wiped off the books and not the 1919 WS? The integrity of the game is LONG gone.

Imagine thinking punishing a team that did NOTHING wrong is the same as punishing a team who cheated to win the World Series. Couldnt be me.

So the Reds should be punished for following the rules?

The White Sox were the far superior team, and even trying to lose they STILL almost won. If it came out that the Rangers let the Giants win the 2010 WS for a payout, would that championship mean anything to you?

It wouldnt mean as much to me, no. But that's completely irrelevant.

But I stand by my response. It would be completely ridiculous to punish the team that didnt break the rules. One team breaks the rules, and you punish both teams? Absolutely not.

The Black Sox and the Astros are virtual opposites of one another and makes zero logical sense to compare the two.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Feb 20, 2020 at 10:00 PM ]

Yes. They beat the team that faced them. If a poor team somehow gets to a final (NE Patriots in Super Bowl XX springs to mind) that doesn't devalue the winning team. When considering Ditka's Bears no one says, yes but it was only the Pats. So the Bears, or the Reds 1919 is legitimate imo. If the other team throws the game, cheats or whatever, that is not against the other team.
So the Astros host the Angels for their home opener I think. I wonder if Trout gets booed or a mixed reaction.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Feb 21, 2020 at 4:58 AM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
A post season ban would screw up the integrity of the regular season. The games have to mean something and the best teams have to make the postseason.

Draft picks and fines and taking back the metal and refusing to officially honor the team as a WS winner is all good IMO.

I think this is a good point. Would you want a team you are in a playoff race with to be playing the Astros at end of the season when they are checked out and basically going through motions bc the year means nothing?

I guess it doesn't even matter at this point since Manfred has already said they are doing nothing.
This is like the 4th or 5th player from a different team that I've heard say that we knew the Astros were cheating and we let the league know. Lucroy from the As spoke out aboùt that just recently.

So basically the MLB was gonna hide this like they did roids if it wasn't for the former Astros pitcher. Wow.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
So the Astros host the Angels for their home opener I think. I wonder if Trout gets booed or a mixed reaction.

Or smacked with a baseball
can't wait to see the movie about this in 50 years after we all forgot about it starring kevin Costner
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Or smacked with a baseball

If they do, they better expect the Astros players to get beaned every inning.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
can't wait to see the movie about this in 50 years after we all forgot about it starring kevin Costner

Damn Costner gonna be otb
Originally posted by English:

Yes. They beat the team that faced them. If a poor team somehow gets to a final (NE Patriots in Super Bowl XX springs to mind) that doesn't devalue the winning team. When considering Ditka's Bears no one says, yes but it was only the Pats. So the Bears, or the Reds 1919 is legitimate imo. If the other team throws the game, cheats or whatever, that is not against the other team.

Would you celebrate a WS victory if you found out the other team let you win for money? The entire series was tainted. The White Sox ruined it for both teams.

Would you celebrate a WS victory if you found out the other team let you win for money? The entire series was tainted. The White Sox ruined it for both teams.

100 years ago...How people handled things a 100 years ago shouldn't continue to be the standard today.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

100 years ago...How people handled things a 100 years ago shouldn't continue to be the standard today.

Still boggles my mind why the Black Sox scandal is brought up in the first place. They are not even close to the same thing.
Tape and buzzers flying everywhere.

Share 49ersWebzone