LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

2019-20 WORLD CHAMPION Los Angeles Lakers Thread

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Dude is not even a Laker yet and he's already getting deals. Kawhi - you seeing this, right?

Ruffles? Get that weak junk out of here.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/06/14/joey-votto-kawhi-leonard-toronto-presto-pass/amp/

Lakers will offer Kawhi a helicopter to travel from SD to/from Staples and to/from LAX
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Btw...this is what Woj tweeted last summer

Lol
Dude is not even a Laker yet and he's already getting deals. Kawhi - you seeing this, right?

https://thebiglead.com/2019/06/14/joey-votto-kawhi-leonard-toronto-presto-pass/amp/

Lakers will offer Kawhi a helicopter to travel from SD to/from Staples and to/from LAX

Sign him. He would be great as a Laker. That team would be unstoppable with that Big 3. I can't see anybody beating them.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Sign him. He would be great as a Laker. That team would be unstoppable with that Big 3. I can't see anybody beating them.

karma/morale gods will stop him.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Jun 19, 2019 at 3:28 AM ]

Reports are that we are shopping young players to get to 32 mil in cap room.

Lol this is just dumb now. Youre gonna surround these guys with g league players and we won't win s**t. I dont think we can win with those 3 if we have no bench and some good role players. We would get eliminated in the 1st round if one of them get injured.

If Davis waives the 5 mil and Kawhi takes less, then its fine. But i doubt that happens, so best bet would be to keep our cap space in good shape. There are a lot of FAs this year, i think i read that over 40% of nba players are FAs. So we can easily put together a winning team around Bron and Davis, without giving out a max and having to make more trades.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Lol this is just dumb now. Youre gonna surround these guys with g league players and we won't win s**t. I dont think we can win with those 3 if we have no bench and some good role players. We would get eliminated in the 1st round if one of them get injured.

If Davis waives the 5 mil and Kawhi takes less, then its fine. But i doubt that happens, so best bet would be to keep our cap space in good shape. There are a lot of FAs this year, i think i read that over 40% of nba players are FAs. So we can easily put together a winning team around Bron and Davis, without giving out a max and having to make more trades.

Kawhi is the best player in the NBA. We could have 2 of the best players in the NBA in their prime (Kawhi and AD), and Lebron who is still playing as a top 5 guy when healthy. You do not turn that down, under any circumstance.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Kawhi is the best player in the NBA. We could have 2 of the best players in the NBA in their prime (Kawhi and AD), and Lebron who is still playing as a top 5 guy when healthy. You do not turn that down, under any circumstance.

I hear ya, but how do we get to 32 mil cap? We are at 23 after the trade, 27.5 if Davis waives his 4.5mil fee. Bognas contrat is 1.6 mil, Wagner is 2 mil, so we get to 31 mil, then what? Trade Kuzma? Maybe hope Kawhi is willing to take a little less? What if Kawhi doesnt come?

If we can get guys like Beverly, Brook, JJ, and paired with Kuz, Bron, and Davis, thats not enough to win a chip? Maybe not against a fully healthy GS team, but we wont have to worry about them this season.

They would win with that 3 easily as long as they stay healthy. Your depth and bench don't matter if you have 3 top 5 players in the league. I see a 3 peat if they get that Big 3. Your top 3 would carry you. 4 through 12 wouldn't matter much if you had that. Indeed I would not pass on that. Plus the Lakers are the type of organization who would likely go a little above the cap and pay at least some luxury tax. They do what they have to in order to win. They would fill out the roster with something.

They would win with that 3 easily as long as they stay healthy. Your depth and bench don't matter if you have 3 top 5 players in the league. I see a 3 peat if they get that Big 3. Your top 3 would carry you. 4 through 12 wouldn't matter much if you had that. Indeed I would not pass on that. Plus the Lakers are the type of organization who would likely go a little above the cap and pay at least some luxury tax. They do what they have to in order to win. They would fill out the roster with something.

Name me one team in the modern era that has won a champion with that kind of a roster. The Payton/Malone Lakers were really the only team to try something like that, and it failed. Miamis big 3 had good depth and good role players, guys like Ray Allen, Haslem, Battier. Celtics big 3 also had good role players and a bench, with Rondo, Perkins, Cassel, Posey.

We will have Bonga, Williams, and Scott Machado...

Depth and role players matter if you want to win a championship. This years Warriors team is proof of that again. They had nobody able to score once Klay and Durant went down. Even if Klay stayed healthy, wouldnt have mattered. Compared to other GS teams, this one was very poorly built.

Name me one team in the modern era that has won a champion with that kind of a roster. The Payton/Malone Lakers were really the only team to try something like that, and it failed. Miamis big 3 had good depth and good role players, guys like Ray Allen, Haslem, Battier. Celtics big 3 also had good role players and a bench, with Rondo, Perkins, Cassel, Posey.

Depth and role players matter if you want to win a championship. This years Warriors team is proof of that again. They had nobody able to score once Klay and Durant went down. Even if Klay stayed healthy, wouldnt have mattered. Compared to other GS teams, this one was very poorly built.

Wow. The Payton/Malone Lakers is your example. Those guys were so, so OLD. They were ready for the nursing home. Not 2 guys in their 20's in the prime of their career (Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard). Also top players in the entire NBA. Lebron is still absolutely great when healthy. As long as he does stay healthy. I don't see a comparison to those guys at all. Not even close.

Yeah I think a supporting cast matters. But with that Big 3 I think it's enough. As long as they stay healthy and play big minutes in the playoffs. You could spot them a little in the regular season. Or give them some rest certain games especially for Lebron since he is still great but getting older.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jun 19, 2019 at 9:34 AM ]

Wow. The Payton/Malone Lakers is your example. Those guys were so, so OLD. They were ready for the nursing home. Not 2 guys in their 20's in the prime of their career (Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard). Also top players in the entire NBA. Lebron is still absolutely great when healthy. As long as he does stay healthy. I don't see a comparison to those guys at all. Not even close.

Yeah I think a supporting cast matters. But with that Big 3 I think it's enough. As long as they stay healthy and play big minutes in the playoffs. You could spot them a little in the regular season. Or give them some rest certain games especially for Lebron since he is still great but getting older.

That and this years GS are really the only teams that i can point out. Its not like having a big 3 is common in the NBA. Miamis first year together can be added to that as well I guess, they couldnt win either until they got better role player, like Allen and Battier.

So like I said, there isnt one big 3 team out there that has won a championship without other good role players around them. Lakers tried and failed, Mia tried and failed, and this year GS tried and failed.

Payton Malone I am not even going to dignify that with a response.

Well no s**t they had nobody to score when they went down. The fact is when they were healthy they were the favorites to win the ship. You wouldn't take that? You don't make signings based off of the chances they tear their achilles during the NBA finals.

Just for some perspective - Klay Thompson 29 years old coming off a torn ACL - will get maxed.
KEvin Durant - 30 years old coming off an achilles - will get maxed

Anthony Davis - 26 years old - no major injuries, in prime
Kawhi Leonard - 27 years old - no major injuries, in prime, already won 2 titles and 2 finals MVPs....you don't want him under any circumstance?

Fill out the roster with me and you, I don't care. We'd still be the favs
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

If Lakers can get Kawhi - they have to do it. They'll have 3 of the top 7 players in the league. And they will still keep Kuzma. Lakers will be able to get couple of vets who are willing to come for minimum and exception. Lakers can give them big roles - 45 games on national TV and a deep playoffs run.

Basically - how that'll work is:

They sign Kawhi (if they get him) first
Then send 21M in salaries to NO (or 3rd team part of AD deal) in July 6th trade (which will also include Wagner, Bonga, and slightly guaranteed contract Jones). They do that trade as over the cap team.

Still got 4 mil in exception and vets will come. It won't be G-League scrubs.

Also, I fully expect Lakers to buy couple of early 2nd rd picks in this draft. If you draft well and get lucky - you can get contributions from them.

Also, next summer - Lakers will have 9mil exception and can add a pretty good player. So they could potentially have:
Lebron
AD
Kawhi
Kuzma
A pretty good player with 9M exception
And whoever they sign with 4M exception this season

You can't pass that up.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jun 19, 2019 at 10:04 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Memphis will likely waive Korver. Would love to get Korver for minimum deal if Lakers get that 3rd max. Dude can still play and is still a great shooter. Developed really strong friendship with Lebron. Imo Lebron would do his best to get him if he becomes FA.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jun 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone