There are 250 users in the forums

2018-19 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by 4ML:
NO will get far less from Lakers and anyone else for AD this summer than they could have at the deadline.

Debatable. If they traded Davis to them LA doesn't have the 4th pick. Now NO can ask for Ball or Ingram + the 4th pick and some change.

Before they were about to get Ball Ingram Kuzma Zubac Hart and our first. This is a downgrade. This is why their GM got fired.

And if we land a big FA, theres really no reason to trade the young guys. This team was 18 and 5 when everybody was healthy. With a guy like KL joining, this team can compete for a chip, especially if KD leaves.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
NO will get far less from Lakers and anyone else for AD this summer than they could have at the deadline.

Debatable. If they traded Davis to them LA doesn't have the 4th pick. Now NO can ask for Ball or Ingram + the 4th pick and some change.

Before they were about to get Ball Ingram Kuzma Zubac Hart and our first. This is a downgrade. This is why their GM got fired.

And if we land a big FA, theres really no reason to trade the young guys. This team was 18 and 5 when everybody was healthy. With a guy like KL joining, this team can compete for a chip, especially if KD leaves.

Jeanie said after that whole mess that there was no offer that included all of those players. All offers had some of those players included in some way, but no offer had everyone included. Just more of the BS the pelicans FO was putting out.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Jeanie said after that whole mess that there was no offer that included all of those players. All offers had some of those players included in some way, but no offer had everyone included. Just more of the BS the pelicans FO was putting out.

Magics dumbass pretty much confirmed it on first take. Smith asked him about all the players he was gonna trade, and Magic basically said if you wanna get a special player you need to give up alot. Either way, imo, they arent gonna get an offer that was better than ours this offseason. Even if all those players werent included, they couldve had Zion, Ingram, Ball, #4 pick...they messed up big time.
And Randle...that wouldve been a damn good young team.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I just don't see players having the balls to make the move to the clippers to try and win, be successful, any of it. It is an abysmal franchise that is 2nd class in their city. Nobody gives a s**t about them. They will never be anything more than that in that town. How you gonna go there with high hopes and expectations? The best players they've had were drafted or traded for. They don't land free agents. I just don't see big names saying, hey let's all build a super roster on the B team in town.

That's not saying I think the Lakers will land all the players they want. I just don't see the clippers as a serious target for superstars.

Nothing lasts forever. The Clippers have better ownership and better management than the Lakers and that is what it takes to turn a franchise around.

The Warriors sucked when Chris Cohan was their owner and didnt become great until Joe Lacob bought the team and brought in Jerry West. I could see the same thing happening with the Clippers. My guess is that they will be the LA team that lands the biggest fish in the off season

Lol someone save this post pls
Trust me. As a long time suffering Warriors fan I never thought I would see the day where they became one of the greatest teams in NBA history. Hell, it wasnt THAT long ago that Dubs fans were booing Lacob for trading Monta Ellis because he was the only excitement they had watching the team.

Why cant the same thing happen with the Clippers?

I don't even know what you are trying to say? That clippers can be better than the lakers? Ya its been true for like 8 years...

Go back and read the post that I originally responded to. Not just that they can be better than the Lakers but that they can and likely will attract big time FAs. Just my belief that they are on the right track

Difference with GS is that they own the bay area, they dont have other competition there. LA will always be a Laker town, everybody and their baby momma knows about the Lakers. Even at their peak with DJ, Cp3 and Blake, they didnt outsell the Lakers, even though Lakers werent winning.

Clips would have to win multiple championships while the Lakers become a terrible team, and maybe then they will become a better destination than the Lakers.

The clippers can win 10 champs in the next 20 years and never take LA as a 'clippers town'. I doubt he is foolish enough to argue that. Think he is saying they are better position to get FAs and to win a ship in the next 5 years, I would be hard pressed to disagree.
Exactly. I am saying that the Clippers already are better run and have a chance to be a more successful team than the Lakers in terms of winning games and championships. I am not saying that they will be more popular than the Lakers.
This. And, Warriors landed KD after winning a chip and winning 73 games.

Did they land any decent FA before that?

Think about this - Kuzma and Lonzo were more marketable in their rookie years than anyone on the Clippers. Brandon Ingram's rookie year shoe deal is paying him almost the same as what Kawhi was making in his shoe deal in San Antonio lool
Yes they did unless you dont count an All Star and NBA Finals MVP as "decent". Landing Iggy was a huge part of the Dubs success over the past several years.

As for you last statement, well I dont see how its relevant to whether the Clippers can land an elite FA or become bigger contenders for a title than the Lakers. It will be really interesting to see if the Lakers can attract a big time FA to play with Lebron. My guess is that they might get Kyrie but I would be very surprised if they were able to land KD or Kawhi.

A core that couldn't make the playoffs with Lebron. Most of that is crap. You may get a better pick at 4 opposed to surrounding Zion with a group that can get you to the 8 seed at best.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 23, 2019 at 1:33 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Think about this - Kuzma and Lonzo were more marketable in their rookie years than anyone on the Clippers. Brandon Ingram's rookie year shoe deal is paying him almost the same as what Kawhi was making in his shoe deal in San Antonio lool
Yes they did unless you dont count an All Star and NBA Finals MVP as "decent". Landing Iggy was a huge part of the Dubs success over the past several years.

As for you last statement, well I dont see how its relevant to whether the Clippers can land an elite FA or become bigger contenders for a title than the Lakers. It will be really interesting to see if the Lakers can attract a big time FA to play with Lebron. My guess is that they might get Kyrie but I would be very surprised if they were able to land KD or Kawhi.

Pretty sure Andre Iguodala was acquired via a trade and not landed thru FA. Not the same thing.

As for KD - he's going to NY and Kyrie will follow. I like Lakers chances to land Kawhi. I do believe Clippers are in the mix but unless they can get another top FA to come with Kawhi - Kawhi will be silly to sign with them imho. They will be basically Raptors lite in tougher conference and they're a B team in LA.

Plus, no other FA will understand the difference between perception created by media and the reality than Kawhi. After how media killed him last year - he'll understand when Lakers and Lebron tell him that don't believe everything you read in the media.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

A core that couldn't make the playoffs with Lebron. Most of that is crap. You may get a better pick at 4 opposed to surrounding Zion with a group that can get you to the 8 seed at best.

Context matters. Injuries derailed the season (and also the botched AD trade) - not lack of talent.

Pretty sure Andre Iguodala was acquired via a trade and not landed thru FA. Not the same thing.

As for KD - he's going to NY and Kyrie will follow. I like Lakers chances to land Kawhi. I do believe Clippers are in the mix but unless they can get another top FA to come with Kawhi - Kawhi will be silly to sign with them imho. They will be basically Raptors lite in tougher conference and they're a B team in LA.

Plus, no other FA will understand the difference between perception created by media and the reality than Kawhi. After how media killed him last year - he'll understand when Lakers and Lebron tell him that don't believe everything you read in the media.
Nope.
"The Golden State Warriors have reached a verbal agreement on a four-year, $48 million contract with free agent Andre Iguodala after completing a salary cap-clearing trade with the Utah Jazz, according to ESPN and media reports."

As for Kawhi, I dont think he wants anything to do with playing with Lebron. I would bet money that he doesnt end up a Laker.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Nope.
"The Golden State Warriors have reached a verbal agreement on a four-year, $48 million contract with free agent Andre Iguodala after completing a salary cap-clearing trade with the Utah Jazz, according to ESPN and media reports."

As for Kawhi, I dont think he wants anything to do with playing with Lebron. I would bet money that he doesnt end up a Laker.

Just looked up. You're right. It was a sign and trade - that's why I thought he was acquired thru trade.

Not really gonna compare Iguodala with a superstar FA though.
Just looked up. You're right. It was a sign and trade - that's why I thought he was acquired thru trade.

Not really gonna compare Iguodala with a superstar FA though.
All good. Andre really wanted to be a Warrior and they made moves to free up the cap room to make it happen. Thankfully so since he was the Finals MVP in 2015 over your Lebron Cavaliers.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on May 23, 2019 at 6:12 PM ]
I just don't see players having the balls to make the move to the clippers to try and win, be successful, any of it. It is an abysmal franchise that is 2nd class in their city. Nobody gives a s**t about them. They will never be anything more than that in that town. How you gonna go there with high hopes and expectations? The best players they've had were drafted or traded for. They don't land free agents. I just don't see big names saying, hey let's all build a super roster on the B team in town.

That's not saying I think the Lakers will land all the players they want. I just don't see the clippers as a serious target for superstars.

Nothing lasts forever. The Clippers have better ownership and better management than the Lakers and that is what it takes to turn a franchise around.

The Warriors sucked when Chris Cohan was their owner and didnt become great until Joe Lacob bought the team and brought in Jerry West. I could see the same thing happening with the Clippers. My guess is that they will be the LA team that lands the biggest fish in the off season

Lol someone save this post pls
Trust me. As a long time suffering Warriors fan I never thought I would see the day where they became one of the greatest teams in NBA history. Hell, it wasnt THAT long ago that Dubs fans were booing Lacob for trading Monta Ellis because he was the only excitement they had watching the team.

Why cant the same thing happen with the Clippers?

I don't even know what you are trying to say? That clippers can be better than the lakers? Ya its been true for like 8 years...

Go back and read the post that I originally responded to. Not just that they can be better than the Lakers but that they can and likely will attract big time FAs. Just my belief that they are on the right track

Difference with GS is that they own the bay area, they dont have other competition there. LA will always be a Laker town, everybody and their baby momma knows about the Lakers. Even at their peak with DJ, Cp3 and Blake, they didnt outsell the Lakers, even though Lakers werent winning.

Clips would have to win multiple championships while the Lakers become a terrible team, and maybe then they will become a better destination than the Lakers.

The clippers can win 10 champs in the next 20 years and never take LA as a 'clippers town'. I doubt he is foolish enough to argue that. Think he is saying they are better position to get FAs and to win a ship in the next 5 years, I would be hard pressed to disagree.
Exactly. I am saying that the Clippers already are better run and have a chance to be a more successful team than the Lakers in terms of winning games and championships. I am not saying that they will be more popular than the Lakers.

If I was west i'd tell him clippers will be the best place to build a legacy and turn a franchise around. The dubs were a lame franchise like the lakers but are a household name now. That could be you Kawhi! Clippers have a young core that took the super team to 6 games.

Why go to the dysfunctional Lakers and be in the shadow of lebron, kobe, shaq and the showtime lakers?
Magics dumbass pretty much confirmed it on first take. Smith asked him about all the players he was gonna trade, and Magic basically said if you wanna get a special player you need to give up alot. Either way, imo, they arent gonna get an offer that was better than ours this offseason. Even if all those players werent included, they couldve had Zion, Ingram, Ball, #4 pick...they messed up big time.

Unless you think AD is good for 0 wins they aren't picking 4th.

Lol. Once again, 18 and 5 when the core was healthy. And we are talking about 2nd and 3rd year players, you do realize that players get better, right? 2nd year players arent all pros...

Pretty dumb take there.
Share 49ersWebzone