There are 123 users in the forums

2018-19 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Also, it looks really poor on Magic to do this interview the day Lakers had decided to introduce their new coach.

Not sure how he and Jeanie are close when he is doing this kind of thing.

Disagree sir. The man is free to say whatever he wants whenever he wants now. If trust was indeed broken he's not the one who has to save face.

But his story isn't the whole story. He's hardly holding himself accountable at all in this situation. The only person he didn't take down was Lebron, which was all part of his strategy in having this interview.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
He was starting for us lol. Who in FA or in draft would be cheaper and be a better overall player than ZU at start of next year

Wasn't getting AD the focus at the time? I might be wrong but that would have justified it.

I'm not following - you think Mustacha was gonna be the piece to push the pelicans over the edge and let us get AD?
He was starting for us lol. Who in FA or in draft would be cheaper and be a better overall player than ZU at start of next year

Wasn't getting AD the focus at the time? I might be wrong but that would have justified it.

I'm not following - you think Mustacha was gonna be the piece to push the pelicans over the edge and let us get AD?

No. It appeared to be a logistical move to accompany a last second AD acquisition. Then nothing happened .

No. It appeared to be a logistical move to accompany a last second AD acquisition. Then nothing happened .

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Magic defended his Zubac trade. He was a RFA, and they wanted to get at least something. He didnt see Zubac as somebody who he wants to eat up salary cap in the offseason. Then went on to laugh with Smith when Smith said Z only averaged 5 points a game during the playoffs.

I didn't watch the interview but this makes no sense from Magic. Zubac's cap hold would have counted for 1.9M this summer. A empty roster space will cost .9M. So you're only saving 1M by trading Zubac.

And you traded him to a team that you're competing with to make the playoffs and in the free agency.

Going into 2018 - Lakers could have of the better center depth with Lopez, McGee, Zubac (with Randle and Lebron playing small ball Center). Now, this is one of the biggest need. Completely ruined it.

Z was a RFA, we wouldve had to match whatever another team offered. I understand trading him, but not for that valie

True - so at that time you can decide whether to match the offer or not to match. Why trade him when he could have still helped the team? I don't know - to me it didn't make sense trading him - especially to Clippers for a bag of donuts. If they could trade him for a future top 20 protected 1st rounder or something - then I'd understand. But, he just gave him away for nothing.

And Jeanie wasn't expecting Magic to say all these things?!? Sometimes I wonder if she even knows Magic. Magic speaks his mind. Cmon Jeanie - you gotta stop doing things with your heart.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Also, it looks really poor on Magic to do this interview the day Lakers had decided to introduce their new coach.

Disagree sir. The man is free to say whatever he wants whenever he wants now. If trust was indeed broken he's not the one who has to save face.

If you say Jeanie is your sister - then you don't speak badly about the Lakers in public.
Guy is the epitome of an empty suit. Stick to motivational speaking, and may god have mercy on those who pay to hear you speak.

If you say Jeanie is your sister - then you don't speak badly about the Lakers in public.

Exactly
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
...btw, one thing I do feel better about after the Magic interview was - all the moves made last season were his and not Rob's. That gives me some hope that Pelinka isn't completely clueless. It was Magic who traded Zubac. It was Magic who didn't want Randle and Lopez back. It was Magic who signed all those FAs.

..and I'm sure that will be a point made during FA visits that the person who made those moves is gone. If Jeanie and Rob are smart - they'll make sure Magic isn't part of any of the pitches to the FAs.

It has to be Lebron and Rob to make pitch to Kawhi with Jeanie present to ensure that the Lakers franchise is all about the super-star players and banners and unlike Clippers - we will not sign and trade you to Detroit couple of months into the 4/5 year deal.
[ Edited by 4ML on May 21, 2019 at 1:46 PM ]
I don't think it matters about who pitches what. The money is here and available. If they want to come here, they'll come here. They won't need to be sold on this detail or that detail or whatever.

Originally posted by JustinMT:

Exactly

hmmmm I see it much differently especially after the FT interview
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I don't think it matters about who pitches what. The money is here and available. If they want to come here, they'll come here. They won't need to be sold on this detail or that detail or whatever.

That might be true if Lakers were competing with couple of teams but this summer a lot of big market teams have cap space (some have 2 slots).

I believe pitch will matter a great deal - especially for Lakers due to all the drama being played out in media. Also, players would like to know what the plan is.

That might be true if Lakers were competing with couple of teams but this summer a lot of big market teams have cap space (some have 2 slots).

I believe pitch will matter a great deal - especially for Lakers due to all the drama being played out in media. Also, players would like to know what the plan is.

It didnt use to matter, but it does now. LA was one player who decided not to sign here bc of Mitch's and Jeanies presentation at the time. They just showed him around the building and pointed to the trophies lol. Cant do that anymore.
The way I see it, the players are going to communicate with each other to set up where they want to go. Like Kawhi will call Lebron and they'll set it up with Kylie and then boom, that's their team (for example). Sure they'll still pitch, but the NBA is the players league more than any other right now. They'll make up their own minds and the teams will just hand out the money. That's my opinion.
Rule #1: don't ever show up

Rule #2: when you show up, do stupid s**t with the roster that doesn't make sense.

Rule #3: quit when you get called out for rules 1 and 2, even though you admit to doing them.

Magic just exposed himself. I'm very surprised - he should be embarrassed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3Fterm%3Dempty%2520suit%26amp%3Dtrue

Both of these. Dude is a legend but hes looking like an idiot right now.
After he quit he should've just gotten as far away as possible from everything, no interview or anything after. Just let people remember the greatest PG of all time and never step into a front office again.
Share 49erswebzone