LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

When all is said and done the NBA GOAT is..........

When all is said and done the NBA GOAT is..........

• Antix
  • Veteran
LeBreezy
Bron is good, but he's no Jordan!
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Jordan didnt ditch his team to win a trophy with another team.

True. He ditched his team to play baseball and they won 3 less games.

I voted Lebron, even though I know it's Jordan. I just can't handle how people act like him not being as good as Jordan means he sucks.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
MJ will probably always be the GOAT. i don't think there's ever gonna be a player to go 6-0 in the Finals, not with the type of talent you have today, and will continue to have.

but Bron is the best talent the NBA has ever had. he's truly mastered the game, he can do everything on a basketball court.

Koby
Magic Johnson (truly could do everything including playing all positions)
Bird

even if Koby.

Most non homer Laker fans will tell you that Bron could do things neither Magic or "Kobe" could do.

Bron can shoot 3s, something Magic was not good at (and that's putting it lightly) and Magic didn't have a good mid range game either.

Kobe could shoot 3s, but he had no where the vision of Bron. Bron can shoot well and pass well. Bird, never had the inside dominance of Bron, or the ability to rebound and defend like Bron could (Bird was an average defender at best).

Basically, you can't name another player in modern NBA history, who could run the floor, has an inside game, has a mid range game, can hit 3s, vision of a PG, and the ability to rebound and defend. The only knock on his all around game is that he isn't a 90% FT shooter.

MJ did all those things well too, but he was a SHOOTING guard, his main job was to score. Lebron clanking FTs is a big deal. MJ was vastly superior with the postup game. MJ was also one the best defenders in the game (countless 1st team all defense) while at the same time leading the league in scoring. I wish modern NBA fans would stop talking about the 3, that was a small part of the game back then, the low post game was the standard.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Koby briant

Robert Horry
Originally posted by Homer:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Jordan didnt ditch his team to win a trophy with another team.

True. He ditched his team to play baseball and they won 3 less games.

I voted Lebron, even though I know it's Jordan. I just can't handle how people act like him not being as good as Jordan means he sucks.

Jordan's team won 6 titles in 8 years. The only 2 years they didn't win were the years he was gone, so that whole "they only won 3 less games" narrative is ridiculous.

6 rings, 6 Finals MVP's. The other 2 they were just another Eastern Conference team that failed to even make the Finals.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
If you judge by ships ...

Bill Russell in his era was the equivalent to a grown man playing against a team of 4th graders. Being able to hold a ball higher than most the league could jump doesn't really make you the GOAT.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

Bill Russell in his era was the equivalent to a grown man playing against a team of 4th graders. Being able to hold a ball higher than most the league could jump doesn't really make you the GOAT.

How tall do you think Russell was? This is not a Wilt scenario.

Average center height in his career ranged from 6'9" to 6"10". He was 6'10". He had a larger wingspan but it was hardly so abnormally big to make him able to hold the ball higher like some adult playing kids.

https://shutupandjam.net/nba-ncaa-stats/ht-by-pos/

Wilt says Hi

Detlef Shrempf

Wilt says Hi

He didn't play Wilt every game.

Im not saying he was just tall, but in his era the league wasn't as competitive as it later became. Obviously when one team wins 11 titles in 13 years the parity is non existent.
Jordan's team won 6 titles in 8 years. The only 2 years they didn't win were the years he was gone, so that whole "they only won 3 less games" narrative is ridiculous.

6 rings, 6 Finals MVP's. The other 2 they were just another Eastern Conference team that failed to even make the Finals.

+1
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM ]

Wilt says Hi

He didn't play Wilt every game.

Im not saying he was just tall, but in his era the league wasn't as competitive as it later became. Obviously when one team wins 11 titles in 13 years the parity is non existent.

Yup, it was Lakers vs Celtics basically every finals during that 10 year stretch, with Bill owning Wilt. There was no other competition.
Kareem. That's always been my opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone