There are 159 users in the forums

Alliance of American Football (new league in 2019)

Looks like we worked out another AAF guy. An OT with a perfect OT name (Daniel Brunskill) who played for SD Fleet.

SD49er, you got any thoughts on this guy?

Also... I know this has been said before but I think it needs to be said again.

Look how many guys earned second chances in the NFL from just one HALF a season of a second football league! I just don't understand why NFL owners aren't more invested in making sure a league like the AAF survives. It is obviously so helpful to teams to have more tape for them to watch of these guys.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Looks like we worked out another AAF guy. An OT with a perfect OT name (Daniel Brunskill) who played for SD Fleet.

SD49er, you got any thoughts on this guy?

Also... I know this has been said before but I think it needs to be said again.

Look how many guys earned second chances in the NFL from just one HALF a season of a second football league! I just don't understand why NFL owners aren't more invested in making sure a league like the AAF survives. It is obviously so helpful to teams to have more tape for them to watch of these guys.

I personally liked Terry Poole a lot better. Brunskill is undersized. Brunskill is decent for his size. But is he big enough for the NFL?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Brunskill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Poole_(American_football)

They both played for the San Diego State Aztecs football team. They also both played for the San Diego Fleet. A lot of players from the AAF are developmental guys, practice squad guys. Some will even make rosters. Some already have made NFL rosters in the past and will again. A developmental league would be great for the NFL. They used to have NFL Europe. Now they have nothing. I'm surprised there is not more support for this too. Everybody has a minor league. Baseball has it. Basketball has it. The NFL doesn't.

Further I think there is a place for a minor league in cities too. I didn't think it was the best thing ever. But I had fun tailgating with friends and going to the games. Honestly spring football was pretty cool. Because it gave you off season football. Plus more tailgating. It was far from bad IMO.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Looks like we worked out another AAF guy. An OT with a perfect OT name (Daniel Brunskill) who played for SD Fleet.

SD49er, you got any thoughts on this guy?

Also... I know this has been said before but I think it needs to be said again.

Look how many guys earned second chances in the NFL from just one HALF a season of a second football league! I just don't understand why NFL owners aren't more invested in making sure a league like the AAF survives. It is obviously so helpful to teams to have more tape for them to watch of these guys.

I personally liked Terry Poole a lot better. Brunskill is undersized. Brunskill is decent for his size. But is he big enough for the NFL?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Brunskill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Poole_(American_football)

They both played for the San Diego State Aztecs football team. They also both played for the San Diego Fleet. A lot of players from the AAF are developmental guys, practice squad guys. Some will even make rosters. Some already have made NFL rosters in the past and will again. A developmental league would be great for the NFL. They used to have NFL Europe. Now they have nothing. I'm surprised there is not more support for this too. Everybody has a minor league. Baseball has it. Basketball has it. The NFL doesn't.

Further I think there is a place for a minor league in cities too. I didn't think it was the best thing ever. But I had fun tailgating with friends and going to the games. Honestly spring football was pretty cool. Because it gave you off season football. Plus more tailgating. It was far from bad IMO.

Agreed. I loved NFL Europe. The NFL has got to find a way to do this. I guess for now, the next best chance would be the XFL?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Looks like we worked out another AAF guy. An OT with a perfect OT name (Daniel Brunskill) who played for SD Fleet.

SD49er, you got any thoughts on this guy?

Also... I know this has been said before but I think it needs to be said again.

Look how many guys earned second chances in the NFL from just one HALF a season of a second football league! I just don't understand why NFL owners aren't more invested in making sure a league like the AAF survives. It is obviously so helpful to teams to have more tape for them to watch of these guys.

I personally liked Terry Poole a lot better. Brunskill is undersized. Brunskill is decent for his size. But is he big enough for the NFL?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Brunskill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Poole_(American_football)

They both played for the San Diego State Aztecs football team. They also both played for the San Diego Fleet. A lot of players from the AAF are developmental guys, practice squad guys. Some will even make rosters. Some already have made NFL rosters in the past and will again. A developmental league would be great for the NFL. They used to have NFL Europe. Now they have nothing. I'm surprised there is not more support for this too. Everybody has a minor league. Baseball has it. Basketball has it. The NFL doesn't.

Further I think there is a place for a minor league in cities too. I didn't think it was the best thing ever. But I had fun tailgating with friends and going to the games. Honestly spring football was pretty cool. Because it gave you off season football. Plus more tailgating. It was far from bad IMO.

Agreed. I loved NFL Europe. The NFL has got to find a way to do this. I guess for now, the next best chance would be the XFL?

Yeah the XFL is the next best chance now. But that has a potential of weird rules. The closest thing to real football the way it's supposed to be played was the AAF.

There is talk about trying to find more investors and try to bring AAF back for years 2 and 3. But man it's such a mess now. They are getting sued by players and vendors for not getting paid at the end. Here in San Diego the Fleet even owe the city hundreds of thousands of dollars for use of the stadium and various provided services related to that. It's an absolute disaster. Apparently the city was not paid for several weeks at the end. The city is trying to hold their ticket sales revenue.

For the AAF to come back they would have to first pay all their debts, vendors, cities for stadium use, settle lawsuits and so on. It's just so far down in a hole I don't think it can come back. It's so far gone it's likely one and done forever. Plus they didn't even finish season one. I didn't realize they were on this shaky of financial ground.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 12, 2019 at 7:20 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 37,525
This is going to get messy

  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 105,938
they gonna get sued by everyone

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/04/12/former-salt-lake/
Originally posted by SoCold:
they gonna get sued by everyone

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/04/12/former-salt-lake/

They should. Polian and Ebersol clearly defrauded a lot of people by making bogus claims about the solvency of the league.
Ch7 bankruptcy has been filed

The Alliance of American Football, which suspended operations earlier this month in the midst of its first season, filed a petition for bankruptcy Wednesday in a Texas court.

Based on the filing of assets and liabilities, the league - under the limited liability corporation Legendary Field Exhibitions, LLC -- had $11,372,298.68 in assets and $48,366,188.90 in liabilities. Those liabilities include $9,642,171 in money owed to creditors.

The league, despite millions of dollars invested in it, also has $536,160.68 in the bank and only $78,582 in licenses, franchises and royalties. The money was held in three accounts -- $500,000 in a collateral MMA account, $36,116.72 in a LFC operating account and $43.96 in an account with the Birmingham Iron name on it.

Among the debt is $7 million to MGM Resorts International for "security interest in intellectual property."
The league and a lot of the LLCs created with it -- including AAF Players, AAF Properties and Ebersol Sports Media Group -- are filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy petitions.

The league filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy -- the most common form of bankruptcy. It means the league will gather and sell its assets to pay creditors according the United States Bankruptcy Code. Property, while not clear if the AAF owned any, can be exempt but all other assets can be liquidated.

That includes equipment purchased by the league that was returned to a San Antonio warehouse earlier this month, according to a league source.

The AAF had financial struggles throughout its existence, eventually necessitating a pledge of $250 million in funding from Carolina Hurricanesowner Tom Dundon -- the league got much less -- before the second week of games to keep the league afloat.
Dundon decided to shutter the league two months later, which has spurred three class-action lawsuits filed since the league suspended operations April 2.


http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26546883/shuttered-aaf-files-chapter-7-bankruptcy
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Ch7 bankruptcy has been filed

The Alliance of American Football, which suspended operations earlier this month in the midst of its first season, filed a petition for bankruptcy Wednesday in a Texas court.

Based on the filing of assets and liabilities, the league - under the limited liability corporation Legendary Field Exhibitions, LLC -- had $11,372,298.68 in assets and $48,366,188.90 in liabilities. Those liabilities include $9,642,171 in money owed to creditors.

The league, despite millions of dollars invested in it, also has $536,160.68 in the bank and only $78,582 in licenses, franchises and royalties. The money was held in three accounts -- $500,000 in a collateral MMA account, $36,116.72 in a LFC operating account and $43.96 in an account with the Birmingham Iron name on it.

Among the debt is $7 million to MGM Resorts International for "security interest in intellectual property."
The league and a lot of the LLCs created with it -- including AAF Players, AAF Properties and Ebersol Sports Media Group -- are filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy petitions.

The league filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy -- the most common form of bankruptcy. It means the league will gather and sell its assets to pay creditors according the United States Bankruptcy Code. Property, while not clear if the AAF owned any, can be exempt but all other assets can be liquidated.

That includes equipment purchased by the league that was returned to a San Antonio warehouse earlier this month, according to a league source.

The AAF had financial struggles throughout its existence, eventually necessitating a pledge of $250 million in funding from Carolina Hurricanesowner Tom Dundon -- the league got much less -- before the second week of games to keep the league afloat.
Dundon decided to shutter the league two months later, which has spurred three class-action lawsuits filed since the league suspended operations April 2.


http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26546883/shuttered-aaf-files-chapter-7-bankruptcy

Jeez I didn't know it was that bad. Those numbers look terrible. They are so upside down by a huge margin. Honestly the games were pretty fun to go to. Football could use a minor league. It wasn't the best thing ever. But spring football in the off season and more tailgates with friends was honestly pretty fun. I will actually miss it.
Originally posted by Jcool:
This is going to get messy


What does that mean, doesn't sound good at all. I know Vince Mcmahon and the XFL are setting aside a lot of money. I wonder if some investor in the future comes through, and tries to merge the XFL and AAF leftovers into one league of some kind.

  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 105,938
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Ch7 bankruptcy has been filed

The Alliance of American Football, which suspended operations earlier this month in the midst of its first season, filed a petition for bankruptcy Wednesday in a Texas court.

Based on the filing of assets and liabilities, the league - under the limited liability corporation Legendary Field Exhibitions, LLC -- had $11,372,298.68 in assets and $48,366,188.90 in liabilities. Those liabilities include $9,642,171 in money owed to creditors.

The league, despite millions of dollars invested in it, also has $536,160.68 in the bank and only $78,582 in licenses, franchises and royalties. The money was held in three accounts -- $500,000 in a collateral MMA account, $36,116.72 in a LFC operating account and $43.96 in an account with the Birmingham Iron name on it.

Among the debt is $7 million to MGM Resorts International for "security interest in intellectual property."
The league and a lot of the LLCs created with it -- including AAF Players, AAF Properties and Ebersol Sports Media Group -- are filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy petitions.

The league filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy -- the most common form of bankruptcy. It means the league will gather and sell its assets to pay creditors according the United States Bankruptcy Code. Property, while not clear if the AAF owned any, can be exempt but all other assets can be liquidated.

That includes equipment purchased by the league that was returned to a San Antonio warehouse earlier this month, according to a league source.

The AAF had financial struggles throughout its existence, eventually necessitating a pledge of $250 million in funding from Carolina Hurricanesowner Tom Dundon -- the league got much less -- before the second week of games to keep the league afloat.
Dundon decided to shutter the league two months later, which has spurred three class-action lawsuits filed since the league suspended operations April 2.


http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26546883/shuttered-aaf-files-chapter-7-bankruptcy

Jeez I didn't know it was that bad. Those numbers look terrible. They are so upside down by a huge margin. Honestly the games were pretty fun to go to. Football could use a minor league. It wasn't the best thing ever. But spring football in the off season and more tailgates with friends was honestly pretty fun. I will actually miss it.

Well when someone offers to give you $250m to keep it going but only puts out $70m there's a big problem.
lol
Well that was fast
damn shame. should've moved the funds towards the lingerie league . With more promo that league could make it work.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Look how many guys earned second chances in the NFL from just one HALF a season of a second football league! I just don't understand why NFL owners aren't more invested in making sure a league like the AAF survives. It is obviously so helpful to teams to have more tape for them to watch of these guys.

I think it's a good idea. But, I think investment is the key word. Adding minor league contracts, owners, and operations can add a lot of uncertainty to the CBA and overall business model. It's probably safer for them to let other leagues work out the kinks before they partner up.
A complete and utter mess

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26957796/inside-short-unhappy-life-alliance-american-football
Share 49erswebzone