There are 344 users in the forums

Alliance of American Football (new league in 2019)

Yea im pretty bummed about this. It wasn't great football but good enough to where they should finish the season.

Birmingham Iron was who i was rooting for too

I was reading they will try to get a 2nd season if they can get more investors
Originally posted by jrg:
Wonder how Vince McMahon feels about this

Say what you want about the guy but when the XFL shutdown, he made sure that everyone got paid whatever was owed to them. He'll have a $400+ million warchest to spend on the newest version.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by JustinMT:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
So are they not playing out the remaining games? I still have 1 game remaining on my season tickets. I don't mind eating one game if I have to. Still I was looking forward to one last home game for the San Diego Fleet.

I didn't think it was the best thing ever. Still it gave you a football option in the offseason. Plus more tailgating in the offseason with friends which I thought was fun.

Jeez at least finish out season 1. For the fans who paid for it. Even if it didn't last 3 years at least it would be a good faith effort to make it through season number 1. This just seems wrong. There are only a few games remaining. Plus a 4 team playoff. They couldn't finish just that?

Sounds like it done for good. Dundon lost 70 million in this investment and doesn't want to lose anymore.

Hard to believe they didn't even have 20M to finish out the season. Just poorly done.

I agree. If they were having financial trouble I could really see cancelling season 2 and 3. I don't even care about that at this point. Even cancel the playoff this season if it's that much trouble. But to cancel the season part way when there are just 2 games left? That just seems wrong to me. I believe they have 8 games in the books with just 2 left. You can't finish just that? You get the fans hopes up and people buy season tickets and everything and then do this.

Personally I think season number one should have been fully funded by investors from the get go at least. It's a whole different thing if you are talking about season 2 and 3 if you are financially struggling. I could see that. But to pull the plug on people with just 2 games left only. All the season ticket holders and fans really got burned. This just leaves a bad taste. It's so poorly managed. This was a very fly by night operation.

If they did find new investors who would ever have faith in this league for year 2 and 3 if they do this to people? I just can't see it happening.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Rumor has it the AAF may expand to 12 teams in 2019, adding 2 to each conferences, would love a team in San Jose or Sacramento, or even SF. for now Hotshots it is lol.

Originally posted by valrod33:
Rumor has it the AAF may expand to 12 teams in 2019, adding 2 to each conferences, would love a team in San Jose or Sacramento, or even SF. for now Hotshots it is lol.

lol

Hope that kids leg wasnt broken but lol
Originally posted by valrod33:

Lol didnt even see that gem

Opportunity for him to manage the AAF salary cap database
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
So are they not playing out the remaining games? I still have 1 game remaining on my season tickets. I don't mind eating one game if I have to. Still I was looking forward to one last home game for the San Diego Fleet.

I didn't think it was the best thing ever. Still it gave you a football option in the offseason. Plus more tailgating in the offseason with friends which I thought was fun.

Jeez at least finish out season 1. For the fans who paid for it. Even if it didn't last 3 years at least it would be a good faith effort to make it through season number 1. This just seems wrong. There are only a few games remaining. Plus a 4 team playoff. They couldn't finish just that?

Sounds like it done for good. Dundon lost 70 million in this investment and doesn't want to lose anymore.

Hard to believe they didn't even have 20M to finish out the season. Just poorly done.

They did. But there is no money coming in. Only going out. How much does one guy want to throw away?

What's amazing is how they thought a few guys could fund the entire league. There are 31 billionaire owners in the NFL (GB the city is 32).

They should have found 8 guys like Dundon to each buy and sponsor a team. Each owner would have paid about $10m for the season.

Of course the NFL owners voted to shut down NFL Europe because its cost each owner $1m to keep it going. So any league like this would prob only last a few years at best before running out of money.

Vince might make it happen when he buys the gambling app Dondon just bought lol. Prob make billions on a new XFL fantasy gambling game.
Saw a couple guys got signed to the nfl. Keith Reaser got picked up by the chiefs lol
Ouch

In the first half of the Salt Lake Stallions' game against the San Diego Fleet last weekend, Stallions linebacker Gionni Paul went to break up a third-down pass when he was sandwiched by his teammate. He went down with what was later diagnosed as a broken arm, ending his season. When the AAF folded, Paul's medical care went along with it. He has no team-provided insurance. "They basically said we on our own," he told Deadspin. Paul also said he was kicked out of the apartment the Stallions set him up in, leaving him scrambling for a place to live.

https://deadspin.com/the-aafs-sudden-collapse-left-players-high-and-dry-with-1833813021
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Apr 5, 2019 at 5:59 AM ]

Obviously this is pretty crappy for everyone involved. I feel for the players especially, but also everyone else invested in this, from the other employees to the fans who embraced the league early.

I've been hoping for a legit farm league for the NFL since NFL Europe shut down and it's sad the best attempt in decades couldn't make it through a whole season.

That being said... there are definitely some guys I think it might be worth bringing into camp. Ju'Quan Gardener was already on the team previously, and looked like great Shanny style RB playing for Mike Martz. He would be my top target.

Anyone else that seemed worth a look? I feel like there were some WRs who might be worth having in camp, but I can't remember names...
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Ouch

In the first half of the Salt Lake Stallions' game against the San Diego Fleet last weekend, Stallions linebacker Gionni Paul went to break up a third-down pass when he was sandwiched by his teammate. He went down with what was later diagnosed as a broken arm, ending his season. When the AAF folded, Paul's medical care went along with it. He has no team-provided insurance. "They basically said we on our own," he told Deadspin. Paul also said he was kicked out of the apartment the Stallions set him up in, leaving him scrambling for a place to live.

https://deadspin.com/the-aafs-sudden-collapse-left-players-high-and-dry-with-1833813021

Bill Polian and the other commish, rushed this league together too quickly and are making the players pay the price.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Ouch

Bill Polian and the other commish, rushed this league together too quickly and are making the players pay the price.

I didnt even know this league was coming out until week 1 lol
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Obviously this is pretty crappy for everyone involved. I feel for the players especially, but also everyone else invested in this, from the other employees to the fans who embraced the league early.

I've been hoping for a legit farm league for the NFL since NFL Europe shut down and it's sad the best attempt in decades couldn't make it through a whole season.

That being said... there are definitely some guys I think it might be worth bringing into camp. Ju'Quan Gardener was already on the team previously, and looked like great Shanny style RB playing for Mike Martz. He would be my top target.

Anyone else that seemed worth a look? I feel like there were some WRs who might be worth having in camp, but I can't remember names...

Jaquan Gardner was really a good player for the San Diego Fleet. He is sneaky fast, shifty, quick, with good vision and excellent production. He can at least give you depth and special teams value IMO.

When I look at him I don't know how he does it? He is so small it doesn't make sense. But in a way I think that is what makes Jaquan. He is so short he gets lost in the pile. They can't track him real well. Plus he comes out of there running faster than you think. He is surprisingly good. He would be far from a bad signing IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone