There are 175 users in the forums

Alliance of American Football (new league in 2019)

Starts right after this upcoming season's Super Bowl. NFL Hall of Fame GM Bill Polian is a co-founder, ex-player Jared Allen is an investor and other former NFL players such as Troy Polamalu, Justin Tuck, and Hines Ward are heavily involved. First team, Orlando, and its Head Coach, Steve Spurrier, were just announced. I'll probably watch as I'm a football junkie and hate the offseason void this time of year.

Some league rules of note:

-Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.

-All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks.

-There will be no kickoffs; all possessions will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. The team on defense can keep the ball, in lieu of an onside kick, by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 35-yard line and gaining at least 10 yards.

-The play clock will run only 30 seconds, 10 seconds shorter than in the NFL.

-Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays.

-Teams will have 50 players on each roster, with some selected by a territorial draft.

-Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.

From their website (https://aaf.com/):

Led by some of the most respected football minds in the game, The Alliance of American Football is high-quality professional football fueled by a dynamic Alliance between players, fans and the game. Fans will be able to stream Alliance matchups live via the free Alliance app while accessing integrated fantasy options with real rewards — for themselves and the players they are cheering on. Players will have state-of-the-art protection on the field and ample opportunities off it. The Alliance will provide players a comprehensive bonus system, post-football career planning as well as counseling and scholarship support for postsecondary education. Founded by TV and film producer Charlie Ebersol and Hall of Famer Bill Polian, The Alliance features eight teams, under a single entity structure, playing a 12-week season kicking-off February 9, 2019 on CBS and culminating with the championship game the weekend of April 26-28, 2019.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Apr 8, 2018 at 5:52 PM ]
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Starts right after this upcoming season's Super Bowl. NFL Hall of Fame GM Bill Polian is a co-founder, ex-player Jared Allen is an investor and other former NFL players such as Troy Polamalu, Justin Tuck, and Hines Ward are heavily involved. First team, Orlando, and its Head Coach, Steve Spurrier, were just announced. I'll probably watch as I'm a football junkie and hate the offseason void this time of year.

Some league rules of note:

-Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.

-All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks.

-There will be no kickoffs; all possessions will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. The team on defense can keep the ball, in lieu of an onside kick, by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 35-yard line and gaining at least 10 yards.

-The play clock will run only 30 seconds, 10 seconds shorter than in the NFL.

-Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays.

-Teams will have 50 players on each roster, with some selected by a territorial draft.

-Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.

From their website (https://aaf.com/):

Led by some of the most respected football minds in the game, The Alliance of American Football is high-quality professional football fueled by a dynamic Alliance between players, fans and the game. Fans will be able to stream Alliance matchups live via the free Alliance app while accessing integrated fantasy options with real rewards — for themselves and the players they are cheering on. Players will have state-of-the-art protection on the field and ample opportunities off it. The Alliance will provide players a comprehensive bonus system, post-football career planning as well as counseling and scholarship support for postsecondary education. Founded by TV and film producer Charlie Ebersol and Hall of Famer Bill Polian, The Alliance features eight teams, under a single entity structure, playing a 12-week season kicking-off February 9, 2019 on CBS and culminating with the championship game the weekend of April 26-28, 2019.

The AAF, sounds interesting … guess I'll be tuning in. My only question to them would be this:
"why have your Championship weekend, during the NFL Draft weekend" ???
Until they can pay the players like the NFL, their talent base isn't going to draw enough fan interest, which in turn wont generate the revenue to make them relevant, especially with advertisers.

The NFL is going to crush them like they've done with every other league that has tried to take them on.

The NFL is going to have to destroy itself before competitors can have any chance to steal market share, and that point is still years off.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Apr 22, 2018 at 11:59 AM ]
So.....arena football is back?
Eight Teams:

San Diego
Phoenix
Salt Lake
San Antonio
Birmingham
Memphis
Atlanta
Orlando

League co-founder Bill Polian, an ESPN NFL analyst, said the league will give players three-year, non-guaranteed contracts worth $250,000 each.

Players can leave the league, which is set to kick off Feb. 9, to go to the NFL. Polian said it's currently unclear whether a player's rights will revert back to the AAF after a three-year period expires or if the clock stops ticking on a team's three-year rights when a player gets "called up" to the big time.

The AAF will scout players who don't make NFL and CFL teams. They will be allocated to rosters based primarily on where they played college, if there is an AAF team within a reasonable radius. When that isn't the case -- which will often be true for players from the Big Ten and the Big 12 -- players will be allocated based on their most recent NFL or CFL team.

Players whose college doesn't have an AAF affiliation and who haven't played in the NFL or CFL are eligible to be tendered a contract by any team.

Polian said modeling suggested that this format would lead to a competitive league, taking into account that the Birmingham team, for example, wouldn't be loaded with Alabama players because many of those players actually make the NFL. The one exception the league has made is for quarterbacks: Teams can only take one former college quarterback in their region.

(Would be great if this league succeeded and became the "minor leagues" of sorts for the NFL...a lot of former NFL stars, coaches, and personnel/front office people are involved in running this league.)
For me, it's all about football and I'm going to watch when the AAF starts right after the Super Bowl ends. Living in California, I'm pulling for the California team, the San Diego Fleet. Josh Johnson is their QB, Mike Martz is their HC. This league might have a chance as it's not trying to compete against but rather compliment the NFL - maybe a "minor leagues" of sorts one day for the NFL? The league has key former NFL guys involved in running it...Bill Polian, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Justin Tuck, Jared Allen...we'll see how it goes.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I really hope it succeeds
The San Diego Fleet got Josh Johnson as the QB. I might get some tickets and go to some games. It's more tailgates with friends at the least. I'm not sure about the new league and the new rules and all. But more tailgating and football in the off season is fun.
BJ Daniels is on Orlando and Scott Tolzien is on Birmingham.
https://aaf.com

Football in the offseason! Weoew!
Don't hate on it, some of us hate the giants talk all the time here in the Bay Area! Just a week after the superbowl!

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Did you need a second thread?
Some very stupid Team names in there.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Did you need a second thread?

My bad, totally forgot about the 1st one
Arena football says hello.
When the SB is over, I'm always a little down that football is done for awhile. With this new league starting right away after the SB, I'm definitely going to watch. I live in CA so go SD Fleet? Josh Johnson at QB.
Share 49ersWebzone