LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 181 users in the forums

Gore and Hunter on the field at the same time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm thinking back over the first 5 games, and I don't think I've seen any formations that utilize them both at the same time. I remember seeing this before on other teams where 1 RB will line up in the backfield and 1 will be split out wide, or where both will be in the backfield, one lined up on either side of the QB...

Do you think Harbaugh has a play to utilize both of these guys on the field at the same time? Now might be a time to bring it out, with the Morgan injury and lack of WR's and also with the fact that it would mindf**k the hell out of Detroit...

I don't think it's happened yet this season, at least I haven't seen it... but I could be wrong... What do you guys think? I've never played football so I don't wanna even attempt and draw up a play, but I'd think having 2 backs as versatile and dangerous as these two on the roster, why not try it... right?
I think it will happen at some point, against the lions, probably not. I think suh would destroy Hunter, if hunter tried to block him.
Fake handoff to Gore to a Fake end Around to Hunter... 40 TD Pass to Crabs on a Post route ?
Gore would be pissed if he had to block Suh and Hunter got to run. You could put in an offensive lineman back there and then also use Gore and Hunter in some sort of T-formation variation.

JH gets the big bucks to figure ways to keep a dominant player in check. We can expect Suh to be given a dose of something that disagrees with him.
Like how the eagles used Mccoy and Brown with the litte quick fake handoff play they did. They lined up in that formation several times.
Originally posted by zozell:
Fake handoff to Gore to a Fake end Around to Hunter... 40 TD Pass to Crabs on a Post route ?

That reminds me of the reverse to Arnaz Battle. I don't think I've ever seen anyone come across the field more slowly. Or Jimmy Raye's brilliant flea flicker to a single receiver.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Thats all good and nice but please no more handoffs to VD.
Pitch to Gore, run end around then option pass to Hunter. Gore can throw well. Just dreamin'
Originally posted by mkmsn0:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by zozell:

That reminds me of the reverse to Arnaz Battle. I don't think I've ever seen anyone come across the field more slowly. Or Jimmy Raye's brilliant flea flicker to a single receiver.

The thing that always pissed me off was having the talent to do some of these types of unorthodox plays and never utilizing that talent... Michael Robinson was a QB, converted to RB... I don't remember EVER running a HB pass with him...

These are desperate plays, we don't need those right now
A lot of us where wondering this last year as to why we didn't do it with Westbrook and Gore especially when we where struggling to run the ball and ran up the middle every time. We where looking for ways to get more creative. Anyways, you can shift and have one or both out wide, you can have both run in the flats and target one or use for decoys, you can fake pitch to one and hand off to another, you can run counters or end arounds... not saying it these would all work but it's a good way to get the defense second guessing. You don't have to even go as far as having them pass to be creative and keep the defense 2nd guessing either. I guess we are a lot more creative this year so we don't necessarily need these options. Although, I think it would be a good idea to get two great players on field at the same time.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM ]

You could fake the pitch to the outside to Hunter and send Gore up the middle into the waiting arms of Suh! Just a thought!
Miller is looking like a pretty well-rounded FB, capable of blocking, rushing, and catching out of the backfield. Seems like we should just play it straight and use the big fella if we want to go with a two-RB look.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for 1stAndGoal49ers.
Originally posted by carlgo:
You could put in an offensive lineman back there and then also use Gore and Hunter in some sort of T-formation variation.

Put Sopoaga in the backfield to handle SU ? Haha yeah right. Sounds fun anyways.
sop in the backfield and run the wishbone! LOL
wrong thread
[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone