LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Chip Kelly

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Chip was thrown under the bus in SF and had no chance to succeed thanks to Baalke and the Yorks. He'll revive the Bruins program and have them on the National radar in short order.

Nobody had a chance with that poisonous atmosphere Baalke created and York tolerated, I will give you that. However, I do not believe his offense was sustainable in the NFL, and I think there is ample evidence of that. We will see how he does on a return to college.
Like Jim, perfect college coach!

Congrats to Kelly...good dude.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Like Jim, perfect college coach!

Congrats to Kelly...good dude.

Jim flaming out. Usually takes four years, just three this time.

Look for the Bears to push hard to get him for a 3-4 year stint.
Really happy for Chip after getting dicked around by Baalke. I think he is going to love being right in the middle of the SoCal talent pool and should be really competitive by 2019.
Originally posted by reno9er:
Chip was thrown under the bus in SF and had no chance to succeed thanks to Baalke and the Yorks. He'll revive the Bruins program and have them on the National radar in short order.

Nobody had a chance with that poisonous atmosphere Baalke created and York tolerated, I will give you that. However, I do not believe his offense was sustainable in the NFL, and I think there is ample evidence of that. We will see how he does on a return to college.

It'll be interesting to see how he does at UCLA.

He knows that his system should put up points in the pac12.

The big question will be how he recruits. I suspect the AD will be willing to increase recruiting efforts since they are paying Chip even more than Mora (who himself was a splash hire at the time). Mora's recruiting was probably the best since Toledo, but was still a tier below SC, Stanford, and Chip's Ducks.
Originally posted by zonkers:

The big question will be how he recruits. I suspect the AD will be willing to increase recruiting efforts since they are paying Chip even more than Mora (who himself was a splash hire at the time). Mora's recruiting was probably the best since Toledo, but was still a tier below SC, Stanford, and Chip's Ducks.

If I remember correctly Chip used to recruit heavily out of southern California when he was at Oregon, which is probably one of the reasons that he chose UCLA over Florida. No doubt he is well locked in with high school and JC coaches there, so I do think he will have a built in recruiting advantage moving forward. Stanford and Cal will always have to be more creative due to the academic standards.

If I remember correctly Chip used to recruit heavily out of southern California when he was at Oregon, which is probably one of the reasons that he chose UCLA over Florida. No doubt he is well locked in with high school and JC coaches there, so I do think he will have a built in recruiting advantage moving forward. Stanford and Cal will always have to be more creative due to the academic standards.

True. There's talk of keeping UCLA's resident recruiting guru (Angus McClure) and adding Azzinaro. That and the Oregon resume (Chip + Helfrich?) should help a lot.

Note on academics: IIRC Cal traditionally grants quite a few waivers for athletes. Stanford obviously holds strong to the requirement and have perfected the art of getting the national guys they want. UCLA is usually stingy with the waivers and not willing to invest locally like SC or nationally like Stanford.

Uh Chip hates recruiting and relies almost completely on his assistants

Ucla won't be the top team in the pac 12 South much less top 2
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I imagine he'll try to bring as much of the band back together again as possible. He might hate recruiting but him being at UCLA will bring a lot of interest to the program from Day 1.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
So now that he has a 5 year 23 million dollar deal with UCLA, do we save on any of the money we still owe him over the next 2 years?

We?

This affects nobody but Jed York and his parents. It doesn't count against the 49ers' cap so it doesn't affect the team at all. York's pocket is the only thing taking a hit - and they deserves it for hiring Chip Kelly in the first place. Same with Tomsula.

True. There's talk of keeping UCLA's resident recruiting guru (Angus McClure) and adding Azzinaro. That and the Oregon resume (Chip + Helfrich?) should help a lot.

Note on academics: IIRC Cal traditionally grants quite a few waivers for athletes. Stanford obviously holds strong to the requirement and have perfected the art of getting the national guys they want. UCLA is usually stingy with the waivers and not willing to invest locally like SC or nationally like Stanford.
This is correct. Cal has significantly lower academic standards for its athletes compared to UCLA. UCLA is somewhere around the Notre Dame academic requirement level.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
This is correct. Cal has significantly lower academic standards for its athletes compared to UCLA. UCLA is somewhere around the Notre Dame academic requirement level.

No way, marshawn Lynch seems like a true scholar
Originally posted by TheRambler:

No way, marshawn Lynch seems like a true scholar

Cal Berkeley also has the weirdest looking women in the country.

They all look like Xerxes from 300.

''It's not the lash they fear..........''
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

Exactly, he's kinda a head in the and coach in regards to recruiting. That's kinda why he got a show cause and ONLY a show cause. His staff (and Mr. Knite) were paying scouts to buy stuff for athletes and steer them towards Oregon. No "direct" payments but plenty of "here Mr. Scout service, here's some nice shoes and some cash to "help ya out"". and all the sudden some kid named Lache out of Texas has brand new stuff with Nike written all over it and a commitment to UO.

Same thing was happening with that out of LA. He was the very short fast one (can't remember the name). All set to go to either SC or UCLA and BAM, UO commitment at the last second.
Share 49ersWebzone