LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

FBI arrest College Basketball coaches

These a*****es in the NCAA claim they are amateur student athletes that can't get paid but run it like a business. A shady business.
Let's see Pitino squirm out of this one. Oh wait, he's a victim, again.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
These a*****es in the NCAA claim they are amateur student athletes that can't get paid but run it like a business. A shady business.

They make so much money in this business. I remember when they got caught on their website selling team jerseys that were tied directly to the popular players at the time (Manziel, Clowney, etc.)
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
College football is just as corrupt. This may start a chain reaction that could change the landscape of college athletics as we know it.

Yeah. BB + FB are basically club sports that lets schools make hefty nonprofit revenue.
TBH I don't mind BB + FB athletes getting paid - they are basically doing work-study. But rather than unionizing across the NCAA landscape, I'd leave it up to the schools to run it like a business. Let them take the risk of paying for the right players. Maybe it'll bleed over to the academic side and force schools to keep the right professors that'll keep their degree programs competitive.

thats pretty good
Meet the 18 key figures in the FBI's college basketball corruption probe, for now
Get caught up quickly on who's involved in the sprawling investigation.

The FBI's investigation into college basketball corruption has already turned up several big names, including assistant coaches at prominent programs and apparel company representatives. The charges brought by federal prosecutors on Tuesday revolve around alleged bribery and fraud schemes.
Here are the most important names and entities to know after the initial wave of charges and complaints. This will be updated as we learn more.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16367814/ncaa-basketball-fbi-investigation-coaches-agents-adidas
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Meet the 18 key figures in the FBI's college basketball corruption probe, for now

The FBI's investigation into college basketball corruption has already turned up several big names, including assistant coaches at prominent programs and apparel company representatives. The charges brought by federal prosecutors on Tuesday revolve around alleged bribery and fraud schemes.
Here are the most important names and entities to know after the initial wave of charges and complaints. This will be updated as we learn more.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16367814/ncaa-basketball-fbi-investigation-coaches-agents-adidas

This is crazy....and there are names still coming in.

The Miami Hurricanes, aka "University-7:" The school is alleged to have had an assistant coach work with Adidas executive James Gatto to arrange a payment of $150,000 to a potential 2018 recruit. Gatto and the coach were reportedly worried the recruit would take another bribe for approximately just as much from a rival school and rival apparel company.

Perhaps Florida St or Florida and Nike?
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Sep 29, 2017 at 1:56 AM ]
Big Ballers don't need bribes.

Though it wouldn't be surprising if something went on. UCLA boosters + recruiting have been more active since they got Alford + Mora.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

This is crazy....and there are names still coming in.

The Miami Hurricanes, aka "University-7:" The school is alleged to have had an assistant coach work with Adidas executive James Gatto to arrange a payment of $150,000 to a potential 2018 recruit. Gatto and the coach were reportedly worried the recruit would take another bribe for approximately just as much from a rival school and rival apparel company.

Perhaps Florida St or Florida and Nike?
Not 'One Shining Moment': After FBI sting, college basketball should be very afraid
The indictment details a classic example that seems to describe Louisville's recruitment of five-star prospect Brian Bowen but could easily be the template for dozens of recruitments every year.

Essentially, the government alleges that "at the request of at least one coach from University-6 (purported to be Louisville)," the defendants in the case including a former NBA agent, an Adidas executive and a financial planner "agreed to funnel $100,000 (payable in four installments) from Company-1 to the family of Player-10. Shortly after the agreement with the family of Player-10 was reached in late May and early June, Player-=10 publicly committed to University-6)."

The evidence for that claim was found on a wiretap of of Christian Dawkins, the former agent. And as news of that allegation spread Tuesday morning, it didn't take long for reporters to uncover an interview from this June in which Rick Pitino described to Terry Meiners of 840 AM radio in Louisville how he landed Bowen.

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino said. "I had an AAU director call me and ask if I'd be interested in a player. I saw him against another great player from Indiana. I said, 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' They had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotel, pay for their meals. We spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been."

That quote alone is damning in light of this investigation, and if the allegations are true it should finally get Pitino and athletics director Tom Jurich fired after they have already survived multiple scandals that would have done in less powerful people.

They probably won't be the only ones to lose their careers in disgrace.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2017/09/26/fbi-investigation-college-basketball-should-be-afraid/705427001/
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Sep 30, 2017 at 1:51 AM ]

Michael Beasley on the NCAA scandal: 'You guys are just catching on'
Michael Beasley says paying NCAA players gets rid of the scandal.

According to NCAA bylaws, tennis players are able to keep up to $10,000 in their winnings per year. Golfers are allowed to win prize money and gifts not exceeding $750 in value. Players in no other sports are eligible to receive any type of compensation for their play.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/28/16378980/michael-beasley-ncaa-scandal-fbi-investigation-kansas-state-frank-martin-pay-players

Why are tennis players allowed to keep that much? It seems like you're inviting dirty deals to be made when you have that kind of an unbalanced scale when football brings in so much more than tennis does to the university.
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Awesome shirt!
LaVar Ball says he has received illegal offers for his sons 'every summer'

In wake of the recent FBI investigation of corruption involving multiple college basketball assistant coaches and advisors, LaVar Ball claims that he has been approached various times with offers that violate NCAA rules.

On the CBS Sports podcast "Flagrant Two," Ball was asked if he has ever received illegal offers regarding his sons.

"Every summer. They keep coming every summer to get me to say yes," he said. "They offered you money, they offered to take care of the AAU team [his Big Ballers team], they're gonna give everybody uniforms, everybody shoes. I mean, it's just, any kind of way.

"But see, the word got out that LaVar don't need that. Someone even had a false accusation that said, 'Oh, LaVar asked me for $200,000.' I was like, 'Wow, that's funny.' What am I gonna do with $200,000? After I've bought a car and paid some bills I'm stuck right where I'm at. So $200,000 ain't gonna do nothing.

"So me and my wife, we got a job, we do our thing. And the way we pay our boys, whatever car they want, we get it. That's a small price to pay when your kid has a scholarship and you don't have to save no money for that."

It sounded like the offers were not high enough for Ball.
Ball is the father of Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball, current UCLA player LiAngelo Ball and Chino Hills High School junior and UCLA commit LaMelo Ball.

Ball is the founder of Big Baller Brand, which sells athletic apparel. The brand has also launched signature shoes for two of his sons. The two youngest sons play for his Big Ballers AAU team.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-lavar-ball-illegal-offers-sons-podcast-20170929-story.html
Every college basketball recruit who's decommitted amid FBI corruption investigation

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/29/16379050/college-basketball-recruiting-decomitting-fbi-corruption-investigation-louisville-arizona-auburn
I wonder if the NCAA finally uses the Death Penalty again?
Share 49ersWebzone