There are 149 users in the forums

***LeBRON JAMES - The KING of G.O.A.T.S Thread***

• Garce
  • Veteran
Wtf is this stupid clickbait thread title
Sure as f**k ain't the GOAT yet, but still possible to get there or still possible to better his case. If AD re-signs with the Lakers and they keep the supporting cast up then it's very possible LeBron can add more weight to his case in the GOAT conversation. I can't crown someone the GOAT when there are more accomplished folks above him. That is not a critique of LeBron so much as it's acknowledging that there is a history in the NBA prior to LeBron, in other words NBA history did not start with LeBron and cannot be swept aside. Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan are more accomplished and all have a better case for GOAT. There is still time for this to change, but regardless LeBron deserves to be mentioned among these greats right now, just not deserving of being held above these guys. No shade on LeBron, he's been the best player in the NBA for the bulk if not the entirety of his career and still is that to this day. When his story is complete we will have a better vantage point to judge, at this point it's exceedingly premature to crown him the GOAT. I am rooting for him to improve his case.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
^^^

That's a fair take on this. I personally enjoyed watching Magic, Kareem (even though I was very young at the time), Jordan, Kobe, and now Lebron. I think it's kinda dumb to bring any of those guys down. All of them are all time greats of the greats. I personally think it all comes down to your personal preference when you're choosing between those guys as the Greatest. I'll take Lebron but have no problem with anyone who takes any of the other guys mentioned in my post.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Sure as f**k ain't the GOAT yet, but still possible to get there or still possible to better his case. If AD re-signs with the Lakers and they keep the supporting cast up then it's very possible LeBron can add more weight to his case in the GOAT conversation. I can't crown someone the GOAT when there are more accomplished folks above him. That is not a critique of LeBron so much as it's acknowledging that there is a history in the NBA prior to LeBron, in other words NBA history did not start with LeBron and cannot be swept aside. Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan are more accomplished and all have a better case for GOAT. There is still time for this to change, but regardless LeBron deserves to be mentioned among these greats right now, just not deserving of being held above these guys. No shade on LeBron, he's been the best player in the NBA for the bulk if not the entirety of his career and still is that to this day. When his story is complete we will have a better vantage point to judge, at this point it's exceedingly premature to crown him the GOAT. I am rooting for him to improve his case.

This is a good post. I personally dont think that Magic or Russell are in the conversation, but this is a fair take. To me, the conversation starts and ends with MJ, Bron and KAJ.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

This is a good post. I personally dont think that Magic or Russell are in the conversation, but this is a fair take. To me, the conversation starts and ends with MJ, Bron and KAJ.

It basically comes down to whether you think the 'greatest ever' title is based more on longevity, or peak powers. Jordan was part of the world culture like nobody else in sports history. His image is a world famous, ubiquitous brand. He has a mystique surrounding him because of how unbeatable he was, despite not being the biggest or fastest guy in the league. His peak was shorter, but during that entire span, he was indisputably the best. There was never a day that anyone thought "Well maybe Barkley is the best in the league now."

LeBron is the only basketball player ever to be this good for this long. Hes a machine. He doesn't look to have lost much of anything at age 35. But hes never been like Jordan. Its a plateau that we probably never see anyone else match.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
[ Edited by 4ML on Oct 16, 2020 at 9:55 PM ]
I don't get the rings thing all the time

I mean if kyrie hits that game winner vs the warriors or if he misses it .. Lebron is still the exact same player ..
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I don't really agree that Jordan's peak was higher. I think the peaks were pretty close. Also, lot more talent today. There was no Kobe, Duncan, Durant, Curry, in that era. I think when all said and done all those 4 players will end up in top 12 all time. Kobe and Duncan are already in top 7.

In the 80s - Bird and Magic were seen as the best. Once they were near the end of their careers - only then Jordan reached the top. There was no player outside of Hakeem that is even in the conversation of top 10 all time from that era and they never faced each other. Shaq was there but Shaq truly turned dominant later in that decade when Jordan retired.
[ Edited by 4ML on Oct 17, 2020 at 11:00 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

This was a Suns Home Game
This is a mean tweet

Is he better than Kobe the legend? Tough one... if I have to win one game, gimme Kobe

What do you guys think?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

GOATs recognizing GOATs.

This was from 2017. Before Lebron added an all time great playoff run in 2018, another title, moved to 3 in all time scoring and top 10 in assists all time.
[ Edited by 4ML on Oct 24, 2020 at 10:44 PM ]
Originally posted by sacniner:
This is a mean tweet

That little AND1 tourney win was cute
Originally posted by sacniner:
Is he better than Kobe the legend? Tough one... if I have to win one game, gimme Kobe

What do you guys think?

cmon now brother, we're not trying to go back to square one.....lol...

on a side note Shannon is the real GOAT for bring an actual goat on the show lololol. #LeGEND
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Oct 25, 2020 at 1:20 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Share 49ersWebzone