Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Baseball is the most pressure packed, dramatic sport out there.

Uh, no. lol

Take this opportunity to watch some playoff baseball.

BTW, which sport is more dramatic then? Football, where the last 3 minutes of most games are spent running out clock? Or is it Basketball, where the last 2 minutes are spent fouling and shooting free throws in desperation to get another possession?

Because 2 minute drives never happen in football.

And baseball is always dramatic, like when there is more than a 3 run lead any point after the 7th inning and guys are just hacking away at any ball thrown close to the plate? You can twist any sport negatively if you want. Doesn't change the truth. And the truth is baseball can be dramatic, just like any sport. But a lot of the time it's just everybody standing around watching 2 guys play catch.

Baseball is never over until its over. There no clock to bleed. You have to get that 27th out regardless. Plus its a lot of black and white calls. Fair or foul. Safe or out. The other sports having constant player contact allows for refs to make any ridiculous judgement call they want and influence the outcome of the game.

Arent you supposedly a long time Giants fan? I remember you being defensive when people accuse you of not being a real fan. Kind of odd that youd be talking crap about baseball...

This is where you're making something out of nothing. I'm not bad mouthing baseball. I'm just telling the truth as I see it. Has nothing to do with who I am a fan of and for how long. But nice try. lol

And talk about ridiculous judgement calls? What about each home plate umpire deciding what they think the strike zone should be? I suggest you watch the Real Sports episode they just did on the electronic strike zone that Eric Burns is trying to push. It basically uses the technology that all the fans get to see during the game and on their phones anywhere in the world to see what a strike is or not. Yet even though this tech exists, baseball ignores it and allows each umpire to call the game incorrectly. After a study, they found the home plate umpires get exactly 1 out of every 3 calls wrong. 1/3 of the time they make the wrong call and that's deemed more acceptable than using the tech that can get the call right every time. They show Burns umpiring behind the plate and after every pitch they say strike or ball and he makes the call at the plate. There is no drop off in time of game or any delay. Watch the episode and tell me what sport relies on incorrect judgement calls more.

Umps are allowed to call their own strike zones. As long as both teams are getting equally screwed, its still a level playing field. It just infuriates the players. With today's technology and communication, it would be extremely hard to rig a baseball game, or influence it one way or the other unfairly. PITCHf/x shows the world where the ball is, so if an ump starts cheating one team, it would be seen immediately. Ultimately as long as an ump calls a consistent zone for both teams, theyre doing a good job. Players can adapt, they just want to know what the zone looks like.

But the flaw in your system is that each umpire doesn't have an exact strike zone. It drifts throughout the game and they are constantly getting calls wrong. You justify it by saying "as long as both teams are getting screwed equally"? That's absolutely preposterous. It doesn't make it ok if they get calls wrong for both teams. They are still getting calls wrong. And you say with replay they get 99% of the calls right, but balls and strikes are a part of making calls and those aren't reviewable. So game are being called wrong, and that shouldn't be ok.

Pretty silly. Umps can only get so close. If you blink at the wrong time on a 98 mph pitch with movement you really can't tell where it's at in relation to say a "foxbox". Also catchers who are better at framing pitches get better strike calls. So many factors.

Plus this isn't the baseball thread.

My exact point. The game of baseball is basically one judgement call after another with the umpire getting it wrong 1/3 of the time. He tried to call out the NFL for being ruined by judgement calls. My point was baseball is way worse at this.

The only way your point makes sense would be if each NFL officiating crew had their own set of rules about holding or PI. In football, there are very specific rules about what PI is, and when it should be called. The refs screw that up all the time. In baseball, a strike zone has no league mandated dimensions.

In the NFL, 2 players can gang rape a guy like Bruce Miller to blatantly prevent him from stopping Jacoby Jones coming right up the middle on a KR. The refs can swallow the whistle, and justify it with some judgement call BS, and anyone who questions it will be fined and told to STFU.

In baseball, the equivalent would be am ump calling a 3rd strike on a wild pitch to the backstop and getting away with it on the grounds of a "judgement call". It just doesn't happen.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
No they still get concussions now.

The USA banned headers for children 10 and under.

Good move from them.

And I think we are on the same page here. Any head contact cannot be good.
Head is great!

Now that would be sport of its own. The injuries though!
Originally posted by SoCold:
Baseball is the most pressure packed, dramatic sport out there.

Uh, no. lol

Take this opportunity to watch some playoff baseball.

BTW, which sport is more dramatic then? Football, where the last 3 minutes of most games are spent running out clock? Or is it Basketball, where the last 2 minutes are spent fouling and shooting free throws in desperation to get another possession?

Because 2 minute drives never happen in football.

And baseball is always dramatic, like when there is more than a 3 run lead any point after the 7th inning and guys are just hacking away at any ball thrown close to the plate? You can twist any sport negatively if you want. Doesn't change the truth. And the truth is baseball can be dramatic, just like any sport. But a lot of the time it's just everybody standing around watching 2 guys play catch.

Baseball is never over until its over. There no clock to bleed. You have to get that 27th out regardless. Plus its a lot of black and white calls. Fair or foul. Safe or out. The other sports having constant player contact allows for refs to make any ridiculous judgement call they want and influence the outcome of the game.

Arent you supposedly a long time Giants fan? I remember you being defensive when people accuse you of not being a real fan. Kind of odd that youd be talking crap about baseball...

This is where you're making something out of nothing. I'm not bad mouthing baseball. I'm just telling the truth as I see it. Has nothing to do with who I am a fan of and for how long. But nice try. lol

And talk about ridiculous judgement calls? What about each home plate umpire deciding what they think the strike zone should be? I suggest you watch the Real Sports episode they just did on the electronic strike zone that Eric Burns is trying to push. It basically uses the technology that all the fans get to see during the game and on their phones anywhere in the world to see what a strike is or not. Yet even though this tech exists, baseball ignores it and allows each umpire to call the game incorrectly. After a study, they found the home plate umpires get exactly 1 out of every 3 calls wrong. 1/3 of the time they make the wrong call and that's deemed more acceptable than using the tech that can get the call right every time. They show Burns umpiring behind the plate and after every pitch they say strike or ball and he makes the call at the plate. There is no drop off in time of game or any delay. Watch the episode and tell me what sport relies on incorrect judgement calls more.

Umps are allowed to call their own strike zones. As long as both teams are getting equally screwed, its still a level playing field. It just infuriates the players. With today's technology and communication, it would be extremely hard to rig a baseball game, or influence it one way or the other unfairly. PITCHf/x shows the world where the ball is, so if an ump starts cheating one team, it would be seen immediately. Ultimately as long as an ump calls a consistent zone for both teams, theyre doing a good job. Players can adapt, they just want to know what the zone looks like.

But the flaw in your system is that each umpire doesn't have an exact strike zone. It drifts throughout the game and they are constantly getting calls wrong. You justify it by saying "as long as both teams are getting screwed equally"? That's absolutely preposterous. It doesn't make it ok if they get calls wrong for both teams. They are still getting calls wrong. And you say with replay they get 99% of the calls right, but balls and strikes are a part of making calls and those aren't reviewable. So game are being called wrong, and that shouldn't be ok.

Pretty silly. Umps can only get so close. If you blink at the wrong time on a 98 mph pitch with movement you really can't tell where it's at in relation to say a "foxbox". Also catchers who are better at framing pitches get better strike calls. So many factors.

Plus this isn't the baseball thread.

My exact point. The game of baseball is basically one judgement call after another with the umpire getting it wrong 1/3 of the time. He tried to call out the NFL for being ruined by judgement calls. My point was baseball is way worse at this.

The only way your point makes sense would be if each NFL officiating crew had their own set of rules about holding or PI. In football, there are very specific rules about what PI is, and when it should be called. The refs screw that up all the time. In baseball, a strike zone has no league mandated dimensions.

In the NFL, 2 players can gang rape a guy like Bruce Miller to blatantly prevent him from stopping Jacoby Jones coming right up the middle on a KR. The refs can swallow the whistle, and justify it with some judgement call BS, and anyone who questions it will be fined and told to STFU.

In baseball, the equivalent would be am ump calling a 3rd strike on a wild pitch to the backstop and getting away with it on the grounds of a "judgement call". It just doesn't happen.

Your comparisons are loose and not really accurate. Whatever. I don't care to go in circles on this with you anymore.

This all started with you saying baseball is the most pressure packed dramatic sport there is. I disagreed. And later you also disagreed. So what's this really all about? lol
The NFL by far is the worst judgement sport, and it is not even close. In no other league or sport have I truly felt the officials decided the outcome of a contest. I am on my 3rd year of not watching, but man those lost few years of watching, it seemed like there were a couple games a week that had nothing to do with the two teams supposedly competing.

Anyone making a comparison to balls and strikes in baseball does not understand the role of that aspect of the game, which basically dictates that it is ok for that aspect to be comprised of judgement calls.
Originally posted by bugulgad:
The NFL by far is the worst judgement sport, and it is not even close. In no other league or sport have I truly felt the officials decided the outcome of a contest. I am on my 3rd year of not watching, but man those lost few years of watching, it seemed like there were a couple games a week that had nothing to do with the two teams supposedly competing.

Anyone making a comparison to balls and strikes in baseball does not understand the role of that aspect of the game, which basically dictates that it is ok for that aspect to be comprised of judgement calls.

No sure if serious?

Football (Soccer) has had woeful calls throughout it's history, many on the biggest stage at the World Cup.

Rugby Union may even be worse? Many of the bad calls also happen during the World Cup.

World Cups only happen ever four years, so if your team gets robbed, it's unlikely they'll be back to make things right.

In the NFL at least you have the opportunity to keep your team together & make a run next year.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Oct 7, 2016 at 11:42 PM ]

You're on your 3rd year of not watching football, but you join a football fan forum to post on? That's weird, man. Really weird. lol
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Oct 7, 2016 at 11:54 PM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:

No sure if serious?

Football (Soccer) has had woeful calls throughout it's history, many on the biggest stage at the World Cup.

Rugby Union may even be worse? Many of the bad calls also happen during the World Cup.

World Cups only happen ever four years, so if your team gets robbed, it's unlikely they'll be back to make things right.

In the NFL at least you have the opportunity to keep your team together & make a run next year.

Just like the Niners in the NFCCG......oh wait.....

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Nfl refs are not full time. Main problem.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

Nah, main problem is the rulebook is a disaster and the NFL leadership is looking the other way
Originally posted by Janitor:

Nah, main problem is the rulebook is a disaster and the NFL leadership is looking the other way

I don't think the rulebook is the problem, it is very difficult to legislate the game of football. The problem is the default position that the NFL has taken over the past decade. They have instructed the officials to take a default position of throwing the flag. The way it should be(and used to be) was you only throw the flag when it is grossly obvious, especially with DI, Roughing, unsportsmanlike.

Basically what that also does is you don't need highly skilled refs as their only job is to call the obvious.

I would watch any league that offered this type of football, even semi-pro

Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:

No sure if serious?

Just like the Niners in the NFCCG......oh wait.....

You have the "Opportunity."

Yes, it's not a certainty... We are proof of that.

However in quadrennial tournaments it is almost impossible to carry the same team / momentum or anger into the next tournament. Simple fact is, you always have guys / players that will be too old to make the trip.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Replay system is just as bad too. Refs do whatever they feel like.
Originally posted by 4ML:

They have overcomplicated the rules. The refs arent that bright, and the rulebook is like advanced level math. Bad combo.

It feels like the NFL is being micromanaged by too many higher ups. They have this super valuable corporation, and instead of letting the product be, they keep tinkering with it. Too much PR, too many special interests.

Mark Cuban is right, the NFL is decaying because of bad business decisions. It could be dead in 20 years.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by 4ML:

They have overcomplicated the rules. The refs arent that bright, and the rulebook is like advanced level math. Bad combo.

It feels like the NFL is being micromanaged by too many higher ups. They have this super valuable corporation, and instead of letting the product be, they keep tinkering with it. Too much PR, too many special interests.

Mark Cuban is right, the NFL is decaying because of bad business decisions. It could be dead in 20 years.

Then you add s**t like this into the equation....

"According to two league memos obtained by ESPN, teams no longer can shoot video inside the stadium during the game and post it on social media, nor can they use Facebook Live, Periscope or any other app to stream anything live within the stadium.

Teams also can't take highlights of what happens on the field and make it their own by using their own video or posting highlights from television directly to social media. Teams also can't turn highlights into GIFs (graphic interchange formats).

In conversation with the teams, sources said that league executives want to make sure that content generated within the stadiums, including game highlights, are hosted by team websites so that the league maintains control of what is disseminated."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17750196/nfl-starts-new-social-media-policy-teams-fined-posting-video
All eyes are on you in baseball.

Unlike ,say an offensive lineman or fullback.

Pressure like nothing ever felt before

Share 49ersWebzone