There are 238 users in the forums

It's happening as we speak

At the grassroots level, I agree that soccer has an advantage over other sports. You just need a ball, kids get exercise, and there's a beauty to ball movement.

But at the higher levels of competition, IMO soccer, basketball, and hockey are limited because 1-on-1 matchups tend to decide the game. Usually, that favors the player with more skill or just happens to win a loose ball. That's not necessarily bad, but if a game's going to come down to that, I think it's more appealing to fans if teams have an equalizer to talent/luck. Let it be a true 50-50 ball.

Baseball kind of has an equalizer because it boils down to pitch and hit. The batter has his chance and it's up to him to hit it. You can't blame bad footing or illegal contact.
Football does have an equalizer in physicality (the best all around man will win), but I think its greatest equalizer is the QB. The QB is the ultimate wild card that can put the ball anywhere. It turns the sport from a tactical mashing sport into one of strategy. It makes coaches devise different ways to win.


Well, this is all in theory though. It's an imperfect science and refs can always screw it up.
It's very possible that the NFL can screw the rules to ruin their advantages.
If nothing else, the NBA still has the fun factor because you're watching some amazing size and skill.
And soccer could always tweak the rules enough to sway NFL fans.
[ Edited by zonkers on Oct 7, 2016 at 11:04 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 119,781
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by SoCold:
lol it's comparing apples and bowling balls

You keep saying the ump get the calls wrong. That's not always the case in baseball. Just because Fox puts the "foxbox" on your scree it's not always the strike zone according to the rules of the game. The strike zone is different for every single batter. It constantly changes throughout the game. José Altuve strike zone is half the size of normal sized players. lol

It's the width of the plate from a batters armpits to his knees. It also moves based on a batters stance.

An nfl penalty is a rule that is either broken or not.

but each umpire has their own strike zone. of course the strike zone should change depending on your size, but each ump changes that strike zone differently. what one ump might call a strike, another ump will call a ball.

Of course they doe. It's always been part of the game and players adjust to it. Managers and players know who most of these guys are. It takes the avg ump 5-10 years in the minors to make it to the major league level. Hell managers are like hey Jon Doe is behind the plate today he likes to call high strikes so be ready for those. lol
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 119,781
For me soccer is annoying. It is so hard to get a good shot on goal that it just makes me mad while watching it. Just running back and forth passing the ball around with no scoring. Actually makes me angry to watch it. lol Oh and the flops that look like a guy is dying then gets up and runs around some more.
Originally posted by SoCold:
For me soccer is annoying. It is so hard to get a good shot on goal that it just makes me mad while watching it. Just running back and forth passing the ball around with no scoring. Actually makes me angry to watch it. lol Oh and the flops that look like a guy is dying then gets up and runs around some more.

I also hate it when there's a furious comeback just to tie 1-1, then they just stop the game and everyone pats themselves on the back.
Originally posted by SoCold:
For me soccer is annoying. It is so hard to get a good shot on goal that it just makes me mad while watching it. Just running back and forth passing the ball around with no scoring. Actually makes me angry to watch it. lol Oh and the flops that look like a guy is dying then gets up and runs around some more.

i love the soccer flops, they are hillarious.







I am good off of soccer. Too many ridiculous rules/traditions/standards in the sport that I simply cant get behind. Stuff like:

-Clock counting up
-Ref arbitrarily deciding when to blow the whistle to end games
-the flops
-the lack of scoring
-offsides
-TIES!
-yellow cards vs. red cards (how there isnt a clear distinction between the two)
-penalty kicks to end a game

Sorry, just cant get into soccer. There are so many things that make the sport awful to me. And I am sure I could come up with more reasons aside from the ones I just listed off the top of my head.
  • Janitor
  • Amish Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 43,813
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am good off of soccer. Too many ridiculous rules/traditions/standards in the sport that I simply cant get behind. Stuff like:

-Clock counting up - So what?
-Ref arbitrarily deciding when to blow the whistle to end games - It isn't arbitrary, he uses a stopwatch. "Extra time" is determined by how much time was lost during injury stops.
-the flops - I get it, but NFL players do it too.
-the lack of scoring - Lol....you are a 49ers fan?
-offsides - You can't be ahead of the furthest defender when the ball is passed to you
-TIES! - Meh, doesn't happen in important tourney games, just normal league games. People just assume it is ALL games.
-yellow cards vs. red cards (how there isnt a clear distinction between the two) - If you read the 11 rules of soccer it is pretty clear actually.
-penalty kicks to end a game - This is debatable. Only happens after 30 minutes of overtime if someone hasn't taken the lead. "Golden Goal" was in effect previously, people debate which is better.

Sorry, just cant get into soccer. There are so many things that make the sport awful to me. And I am sure I could come up with more reasons aside from the ones I just listed off the top of my head.

LOL, soccer is super simple, and half of what you said is either super easy to explain or you just heard it wrong....See above.

Soccer has 11 rules. Seriously, that is it.

What is the size of the NFL or MLB rulebook?
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by SoCold:
lol it's comparing apples and bowling balls

You keep saying the ump get the calls wrong. That's not always the case in baseball. Just because Fox puts the "foxbox" on your scree it's not always the strike zone according to the rules of the game. The strike zone is different for every single batter. It constantly changes throughout the game. José Altuve strike zone is half the size of normal sized players. lol

It's the width of the plate from a batters armpits to his knees. It also moves based on a batters stance.

An nfl penalty is a rule that is either broken or not.

but each umpire has their own strike zone. of course the strike zone should change depending on your size, but each ump changes that strike zone differently. what one ump might call a strike, another ump will call a ball.

Of course they doe. It's always been part of the game and players adjust to it. Managers and players know who most of these guys are. It takes the avg ump 5-10 years in the minors to make it to the major league level. Hell managers are like hey Jon Doe is behind the plate today he likes to call high strikes so be ready for those. lol

Those are explanations not excuses. In this day and age they should be embracing technology to get calls right, including balls and strikes. Not relying on the umpires to maybe get the call correct depending on how they personally call the game. It's should be black and white. Use the tech to see 100% of it's a ball or strike.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am good off of soccer. Too many ridiculous rules/traditions/standards in the sport that I simply cant get behind. Stuff like:

-Clock counting up - So what? Takes the suspense element out of the end of the games.
-Ref arbitrarily deciding when to blow the whistle to end games - It isn't arbitrary, he uses a stopwatch. "Extra time" is determined by how much time was lost during injury stops. It sure is arbitrary. How many times do you see a ref stop a game when a team has the ball close to the goal? I'll give you a hint....its less than once in a blue moon. Basically, the ref dictates when games end, not a clock.
-the flops - I get it, but NFL players do it too. Not to the extent. And even still, that doesnt make it ok.
-the lack of scoring - Lol....you are a 49ers fan? Let me take it a step further. The lack of scoring attempts.
-offsides - You can't be ahead of the furthest defender when the ball is passed to you I understand the rule. I just think its a terrible rule.
-TIES! - Meh, doesn't happen in important tourney games, just normal league games. People just assume it is ALL games. Not assuming anything. Ties happen ALL THE TIME. Just because it doesnt happen in important tournament games doesnt make the fact that it happens regularly in league games ok.
-yellow cards vs. red cards (how there isnt a clear distinction between the two) - If you read the 11 rules of soccer it is pretty clear actually. It may read clear. It isnt clear the way games are called.
-penalty kicks to end a game - This is debatable. Only happens after 30 minutes of overtime if someone hasn't taken the lead. "Golden Goal" was in effect previously, people debate which is better. Its actually not debatable. When a game is tied after overtime, teams end up playing a different game than the game they played all day long to determine the game. Its stupid. Would be like having a free throw shooting contest if an NBA game is tied after the first overtime period.

Sorry, just cant get into soccer. There are so many things that make the sport awful to me. And I am sure I could come up with more reasons aside from the ones I just listed off the top of my head.

LOL, soccer is super simple, and half of what you said is either super easy to explain or you just heard it wrong....See above.

Soccer has 11 rules. Seriously, that is it.

What is the size of the NFL or MLB rulebook?

Laugh out loud all you want. Nothing of what you said refutes what I said.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 7, 2016 at 12:41 PM ]

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Cricket, So intense

We had one of out national players die on the field from a ball that got under his helmet just behind his ear.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
No they still get concussions now.

The USA banned headers for children 10 and under.

Good move from them.

And I think we are on the same page here. Any head contact cannot be good.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
No they still get concussions now.

The USA banned headers for children 10 and under.

Good move from them.

And I think we are on the same page here. Any head contact cannot be good.
Head is great!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 119,781
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Those are explanations not excuses. In this day and age they should be embracing technology to get calls right, including balls and strikes. Not relying on the umpires to maybe get the call correct depending on how they personally call the game. It's should be black and white. Use the tech to see 100% of it's a ball or strike.

Maybe there should be a chip in a football so they can spot it exactly in the right spot every time after each play. How the hell does a side judge know exactly where the football is in the bottom of a pile of players? Pay close attention to a football game next time. Sometimes they spot the ball a half yard different than were it should be. As long as it's not 3rd down nothing is said.
  • Janitor
  • Amish Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 43,813
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am good off of soccer. Too many ridiculous rules/traditions/standards in the sport that I simply cant get behind. Stuff like:

-Clock counting up - So what? Takes the suspense element out of the end of the games.
-Ref arbitrarily deciding when to blow the whistle to end games - It isn't arbitrary, he uses a stopwatch. "Extra time" is determined by how much time was lost during injury stops. It sure is arbitrary. How many times do you see a ref stop a game when a team has the ball close to the goal? I'll give you a hint....its less than once in a blue moon. Basically, the ref dictates when games end, not a clock.
-the flops - I get it, but NFL players do it too. Not to the extent. And even still, that doesnt make it ok.
-the lack of scoring - Lol....you are a 49ers fan? Let me take it a step further. The lack of scoring attempts.
-offsides - You can't be ahead of the furthest defender when the ball is passed to you I understand the rule. I just think its a terrible rule.
-TIES! - Meh, doesn't happen in important tourney games, just normal league games. People just assume it is ALL games. Not assuming anything. Ties happen ALL THE TIME. Just because it doesnt happen in important tournament games doesnt make the fact that it happens regularly in league games ok.
-yellow cards vs. red cards (how there isnt a clear distinction between the two) - If you read the 11 rules of soccer it is pretty clear actually. It may read clear. It isnt clear the way games are called.
-penalty kicks to end a game - This is debatable. Only happens after 30 minutes of overtime if someone hasn't taken the lead. "Golden Goal" was in effect previously, people debate which is better. Its actually not debatable. When a game is tied after overtime, teams end up playing a different game than the game they played all day long to determine the game. Its stupid. Would be like having a free throw shooting contest if an NBA game is tied after the first overtime period.

Sorry, just cant get into soccer. There are so many things that make the sport awful to me. And I am sure I could come up with more reasons aside from the ones I just listed off the top of my head.

LOL, soccer is super simple, and half of what you said is either super easy to explain or you just heard it wrong....See above.

Soccer has 11 rules. Seriously, that is it.

What is the size of the NFL or MLB rulebook?

Laugh out loud all you want. Nothing of what you said refutes what I said.

I would respond but I'm too busy LOL'ing at you saying the clock counting up instead of down takes all the suspense out of a game
Share 49ersWebzone