There are 144 users in the forums

Tour de France 2016.

It looks like Froome has this thing. I can't see anybody beating him at this point. But who knows? Quintana is strongly alive for the podium still as expected. Tejay moved up to 6th place now and is close enough to the few in front of him that certainly a top 5 finish is in play or even a podium position is possible. He could make the top 3. But he will need some excellent riding in the days ahead to get to the podium. He will really have to do well. After so many years of so close for Tejay I really want to see him get on the podium this year. He has finished top 5 two times I believe. He was I think in the top 3 last year when he had to withdraw with the injury or illness problem he had.

I would say Quintana is a lock for the podium. Froome pretty much has it and will probably add time separating himself from the pack. That leaves only one podium position left. There are probably 5, 6, 7 riders who could be there for the final podium position. Can Tejay be one of those? Maybe he can. There are some others who are really good at the top who he has to compete against too.
Cavendish gets his 4th stage win of the tour. That's pretty amazing. The main contenders are about in the same place as they were yesterday.
  • 220s
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 432
Was one stage ahead of myself, mountains tonight with 6 categorised climbs and a couple of smaller ones.
If the GC contenders work Froome over together I think a few of them might be able to get back some time but it will probably cost the rest of them time. I doubt they will and on Ventoux only Mollema and Porte could stick with Froome.
Good to see Porte get a shot at the GC, he has ridden for Contador, Wiggins & Froome but this is the first time he has got a chance to chase GC for himself as the #1 team ridder. If Tejay can stay up there in the GC I think they will continue to let him ride for himself as a second #1 but if he looses time and Porte is well placed he may have to go into a support role.
That's the interesting thing with the length of this race anything can happen.
  • 190836
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,685
Froome is unbeatable, i really don't think anyone can match his climbing skills in the alps. If anything Froome is going to increase his lead by another min or two.
Originally posted by 190836:
Froome is unbeatable, i really don't think anyone can match his climbing skills in the alps. If anything Froome is going to increase his lead by another min or two.

Froome is #1. Who is #2 and #3 and on the podium is the thing to ask at this point. We have a pretty good idea on the best young rider and green jersey and mountain climber and some classifications too. But some of those are yet to be determined. I think it is interesting to see who will also be on the podium in Paris. There are probably 5, 6, 7 guys who could do it or so. But I think #1 is almost certainly done. It will be Froome.
The only thing is Froome might have gone too hard early on. Will he pay the price in the last week, like last year? Can't wait for tomorrow's stage.
Stage 15



I want to see fireworks, cmon Quintana, Valverde, Mollema, or Yates.

Dan Martin should go all out for the stage win, he lost too much time in the TT. Sky could possibly let him go, since they will be busy worrying about the other GC guys closer to Froome.
Peter Sagan's $15,000 bike.

  • 190836
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,685
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 190836:
Froome is unbeatable, i really don't think anyone can match his climbing skills in the alps. If anything Froome is going to increase his lead by another min or two.

Froome is #1. Who is #2 and #3 and on the podium is the thing to ask at this point. We have a pretty good idea on the best young rider and green jersey and mountain climber and some classifications too. But some of those are yet to be determined. I think it is interesting to see who will also be on the podium in Paris. There are probably 5, 6, 7 guys who could do it or so. But I think #1 is almost certainly done. It will be Froome.

Froome will be the winner. I think Nairo Quinana will be there too. Could tell who the third rider will be, but its going to be exciting. Can't wait for the Alps.
  • 220s
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 432
Think you might be under estimating Porte he was at sky for 4 seasons and Froome's main demestique, he has chased down Quintana a number of times pacing Froome back to attacks and then managed to ride away with Froome, more than once he has finished 2nd on stages to Froome after they have dealt with the others.
He has also proven to be stronger than Froome on some climbs and has ridden away from him when given the OK to do so.
He would have to be best placed to know when Froome might be vulnerable to attack being a former team mate and main support for 3 seasons.

  • 190836
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,685
Originally posted by 220s:
Think you might be under estimating Porte he was at sky for 4 seasons and Froome's main demestique, he has chased down Quintana a number of times pacing Froome back to attacks and then managed to ride away with Froome, more than once he has finished 2nd on stages to Froome after they have dealt with the others.
He has also proven to be stronger than Froome on some climbs and has ridden away from him when given the OK to do so.
He would have to be best placed to know when Froome might be vulnerable to attack being a former team mate and main support for 3 seasons.

Porte is an awesome climber, but unfortunately because of the crash his chances of making to the podium is almost nil.
  • 220s
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 432
I wouldn't dismiss his chances just yet, up another place after the last stage with Tejay not able to go with the GC contenders on the final climb and dropping 1.28,
On form Porte is in the top 3 and is only 1.32 off the podium despite dropping 2mins to the mechanical. Good to see Yates could go with them yesterday, I would have liked to see a few attacks from the likes of Quintana, Mollema, Valverde and Porte, they either haven't got enough to challenge Froome or they are more concerned with dropping out of the top 10 than taking a risk on winning.
Will be interesting to see if BMC start to use Tejay to help Porte's chances now it can be seen he hasn't quite got the form to hang with the GC contenders
Originally posted by 220s:
I wouldn't dismiss his chances just yet, up another place after the last stage with Tejay not able to go with the GC contenders on the final climb and dropping 1.28,
On form Porte is in the top 3 and is only 1.32 off the podium despite dropping 2mins to the mechanical. Good to see Yates could go with them yesterday, I would have liked to see a few attacks from the likes of Quintana, Mollema, Valverde and Porte, they either haven't got enough to challenge Froome or they are more concerned with dropping out of the top 10 than taking a risk on winning.
Will be interesting to see if BMC start to use Tejay to help Porte's chances now it can be seen he hasn't quite got the form to hang with the GC contenders

Tejay needs to get his cadence up. He pedals so slow. Nairo too. High cadence is super important when you're climbing at 400+ watts.
  • 220s
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 432
Only 4 stages left for the GC contenders to sort themselves out but plenty of opportunity to make or lose time.
Cat 1 & HC climbs to finish todays stage, then 17km mountain time trial followed by two more stages that have 2x cat 1 and HC climbs.
Don't know if we will see any attacks today or is riders will try and save themselves and go all out in tomorrows TT. I'm sure the TT will see changes in the CG.
Rumblings of an alliance between Movistar and Astana to work against Froome. Quintana has passed up previous chances to ride aggressively and is running out of road.
Share 49erswebzone