There are 99 users in the forums

Tour de France 2016.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by redrose49er:
Great that the Tour is back for another three weeks, even better that Cavendish has already racked up a couple of wins, a little bit unexpectedly perhaps. Weird that in winter I often see him out and about on local club runs, shows how accessible cycling is compared to most other sports.

Does he live by your town? Does he talk to people too? Or just go about his training runs?

Yes he is very good. 2 stage wins at this point is amazing. But he is a remarkable guy with his skill set.

He's from the Isle of Man, I live here. He is mainly based in Southern England now but still has a house and family over here, makes club runs somewhat interesting, especially as Peter Kennaugh (Sky, UK road race champion 2014 and 2015, 2012 Olympic team pursuit gold) is also from here. There is a real core of very serious riders, way, way above my level but they do sometimes participate in local events, last year Cav set off immediately behind me in one of our local 10s. Another very strong rider is Cal Crutchlow, MotoGP rider, he is based over here too as are Ben Swift (Sky), Ian Stannard (Sky), Mark Christian (Team Wiggins, local born) and we have a few youngsters on the GB Olympic Development Program. Best place in the world for cycling per capita!
Great that the Tour is back for another three weeks, even better that Cavendish has already racked up a couple of wins, a little bit unexpectedly perhaps. Weird that in winter I often see him out and about on local club runs, shows how accessible cycling is compared to most other sports.

Does he live by your town? Does he talk to people too? Or just go about his training runs?

Yes he is very good. 2 stage wins at this point is amazing. But he is a remarkable guy with his skill set.

He's from the Isle of Man, I live here. He is mainly based in Southern England now but still has a house and family over here, makes club runs somewhat interesting, especially as Peter Kennaugh (Sky, UK road race champion 2014 and 2015, 2012 Olympic team pursuit gold) is also from here. There is a real core of very serious riders, way, way above my level but they do sometimes participate in local events, last year Cav set off immediately behind me in one of our local 10s. Another very strong rider is Cal Crutchlow, MotoGP rider, he is based over here too as are Ben Swift (Sky), Ian Stannard (Sky), Mark Christian (Team Wiggins, local born) and we have a few youngsters on the GB Olympic Development Program. Best place in the world for cycling per capita!

That is interesting. It sounds like great fun. I wish I could participate in some of those rides. It would be great to bike with the stars and meet some of them. We don't have as much here in California in the U.S. We just had the Tour of California. Which finished a few weeks ago. It goes through a lot of pretty scenery of CA all over the state. But it is smaller and shorter than the Grand Tours for sure. Mostly U.S. riders participate in it as one of the run up races to Tour de France. But we do get some European riders who come over too. I wish we would develop a big grand tour to go along with Spain, Italy and France. But there are others who have smaller events too like some of the tours you see in Switzerland, Netherlands, U.K., Belgium and many others too. The Tour of California goes through mountain areas, coastal areas, flat areas, desert and cities. It goes through a lot of pretty scenery. They had a stage here in San Diego this year too.

Are you going to any of the stages this year? Which stage, location and date?
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 5, 2016 at 1:59 PM ]

That is interesting. It sounds like great fun. I wish I could participate in some of those rides. It would be great to bike with the stars and meet some of them. We don't have as much here in California in the U.S. We just had the Tour of California. Which finished a few weeks ago. It goes through a lot of pretty scenery of CA all over the state. But it is smaller and shorter than the Grand Tours for sure. Mostly U.S. riders participate in it as one of the run up races to Tour de France. But we do get some European riders who come over too. I wish we would develop a big grand tour to go along with Spain, Italy and France. But there are others who have smaller events too like some of the tours you see in Switzerland, Netherlands, U.K., Belgium and many others too. The Tour of California goes through mountain areas, coastal areas, flat areas, desert and cities. It goes through a lot of pretty scenery. They had a stage here in San Diego this year too.

Can't make it this year, have to make do with the TV! It was at the ToC that Kennaugh broke his arm, therefore he has missed the Tour. I often watch the ToC on TV, sadly doesn't finish until gone midnight so a bit of a stretch, goes through some stunning scenery and dodgy weather!

Can't make it this year, have to make do with the TV! It was at the ToC that Kennaugh broke his arm, therefore he has missed the Tour. I often watch the ToC on TV, sadly doesn't finish until gone midnight so a bit of a stretch, goes through some stunning scenery and dodgy weather!

That's one of the things I always liked the best about the bike tours. They show a lot of scenery and go through mountain areas, coastal areas, flat areas, desert, cities, small towns and so on. You just see a lot along the way. I always find that interesting. It's like learning a little about those places if you were to travel there.

In the European tours they always cut away to show old castles, old bridges, old churches, fortress walls around old cities and vineyards, cities, towns, mountains, coastal areas and flat stages. I always like seeing all that stuff along the way as it unfolds. Sometimes they tell you about the old castles and churches including when they were built and show you the inside on TV. Plus the significance and who built it and the time era. It's just a fun history lesson. It's one of the best things about the tours in addition to of course the race itself.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 7, 2016 at 12:20 AM ]
1. BEL VAN AVERMAET Greg 98BMC RACING TEAM 25h 34' 46''

2. FRA ALAPHILIPPE Julian182ETIXX-QUICK STEP 25h 39' 57'' + 05' 11''

3. ESP VALVERDE Alejandro12MOVISTAR TEAM 25h 39' 59'' + 05' 13''

4. ESP RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin141 TEAM KATUSHA 25h 40' 00'' + 05' 14''

5. GBR FROOME Christopher1 TEAM SKY 25h 40' 03'' + 05' 17''

The top 5 after 5 stages. I'm surprised to see Van Avermaet in the lead and with a 5 + minute lead. But he will be dropped back on the big mountain stages most likely. Christopher Froome is in great shape. He won 2 of the last 3 Tour de France races. He is in good shape in this one too.

Some other notables.

7. COL QUINTANA Nairo11 MOVISTAR TEAM 25h 40' 03'' + 05' 17''

Quintana is in great shape with some big mountain stages ahead.

12. USA VAN GARDEREN Tejay99 BMC RACING TEAM 25h 40' 03'' + 05' 17''

Tejay Van Garderen is in great shape at this point in the race and alive in the general classification. When we hit the big mountains he should go up from #12.

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2016/us/stage-5/classifications.html
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 7, 2016 at 12:36 AM ]
Frrroooooommmeee! 5 wins in 8 stages for little old GB, great effort by Cummings on Friday.
Cavendish has 3 stage wins in 8 stages. That's amazing. Froome already in the yellow jersey. Wow. He certainly can win it. Quintana in 6th place just 23 seconds off the leader. Tejay Van Garderen in 8th place just 23 seconds back of Froome also.
We in the mountains yet?
  • Veteran
Amazing attack by Froome at the top of the last climb. I just could believe Team BMC and the Movie Star didn't really cooperate to bring him back. They are regretting it now.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
We in the mountains yet?

Yes sir, second day at the Pyrenees, tomorrow is a HUGE day. Stage 8 and it could decide the general classifications for the rest of the tour. Don't miss it.

• 220s
  • Veteran
Chaos on stage 12 Mont Ventoux, stage was shortened by 6km before it began due to gale force winds at the top of the mountain.
Porte crashed into a motorbike in the final km, Froome went down as well and his bike was destroyed by another motor bike that ran it over, VanGarderen and the following pack managed to get past, Froome started running to the finish line.

Yates was originally given the yellow jersey but has been overturned and back with Froome after he and Porte were given adjusted times.
Time trial tomorrow, Porte would have been confident of pulling back time but is now battered and bruised, he has had shocking luck this year. Puncture close to the finish that cost him almost 2 minutes in the early stages and now a crash that was not of his doing the day before the TT.
[ Edited by 220s on Jul 14, 2016 at 3:31 PM ]
I think the jury made the right decision keeping Froome in the yellow jersey. The crash into the motorcycle was due to the crowd being out there without the barriers. So they adjusted the times and cut the race short by 1 km. Most of the contenders have about the same time they would have had if the crash did not happened. I think it was the right decision.

It was a very bizarre day on Mont Ventoux. I haven't seen something like it before. Anyway it all sorted out and people got the times adjusted that they deserved I think.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 15, 2016 at 12:06 AM ]
  • 220s
  • Veteran
They actually gave everyone their times across the finish line apart from Froome and Porte. They were given the same time as Mollema who was the 3rd rider in the group but didn't suffer any damage and was able to continue as soon as the road was clear. He obviously lost time as well but no where near what Froome and Porte did and still took time off most of the GC contenders.
Originally posted by 220s:
They actually gave everyone their times across the finish line apart from Froome and Porte. They were given the same time as Mollema who was the 3rd rider in the group but didn't suffer any damage and was able to continue as soon as the road was clear. He obviously lost time as well but no where near what Froome and Porte did and still took time off most of the GC contenders.

It's the right choice. Because there is no way he deserved to lose multiple minutes on that rediculous event.
  • 220s
  • Veteran
Right choice for sure, Dumoulin blew them away in the TT over a minute from Froome who was second a took more time off the GC contenders.
Porte didn't do as well as I hopped, dropped 1.37 to Froome but up to 8th in the GC at 4.27, Tejay up to 6th 3.19. BMC still leading the teams classification.

More climbing tonight so will be interesting to see if any one attacks Froome, think Porte's chance of winning are just about gone after the TT but a podium is still a chance, would be sitting 2nd without the time lost early to the puncture. Think BMC will continue to let Tejay ride for himself instead of Ritchie until his podium chances are gone.
Share 49ersWebzone