LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

2016 Rio Summer Olympics thread

• Jiks
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympics/jason-lee-kidnapping-brazil-policia-militar-turn-up-at-new-zealand-athletes-apartment-after-accusation/news-story/351c83fe411eedc70247fc4f7376c282

Fun and Games

Lol wow.

Yum.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympics/jason-lee-kidnapping-brazil-policia-militar-turn-up-at-new-zealand-athletes-apartment-after-accusation/news-story/351c83fe411eedc70247fc4f7376c282

Fun and Games

What the f**k. I'd never leave the village. The grime from all over the country is going to migrate there to take advantage of the money coming in.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Rio should be ashamed of not cleaning up what it promised it would when it got the Olympics.

The economy tanked, and they have no money. When they bid the economy was good. Things can change, and they did.

Nobody said they had to bid on the 2014 world cup and the 2016 summer games

The 2016 Summer game bid was like 8 years ago. I bet the World Cup was too (although I don't know anything about soccer). Back then the future was looking bright. But it took a big turn for the worse, that was all I was saying.
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Jul 30, 2016 at 6:21 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Rio should be ashamed of not cleaning up what it promised it would when it got the Olympics.

The economy tanked, and they have no money. When they bid the economy was good. Things can change, and they did.

Nobody said they had to bid on the 2014 world cup and the 2016 summer games

The 2016 Summer game bid was like 8 years ago. I bet the World Cup was too (although I don't know anything about soccer). Back then the future was looking bright. But it took a big turn for the worse, that was all I was saying.

Just seems a country like that shouldn't be handed back to back premier events within 2 years of each other.
Seems like we're getting to a place in time, due to safety concerns and cost, where the Games will be/should be just given to countries and cities within countries that have the infrastructure already mostly in place. Like LA does. How much money would LA actually have to spend to ready itself for a Summer games? One-tenth that of Rio? Seems like 90% of everything is already there, ready and waiting. New York, Chicago, London, even the Bay Area could host, because almost all of the athletic venues are in place already. Also needs to be in countries that can provide adequate protection, and actually care how the product turns out. Seems like Rio checks none of the boxes necessary to host an Olympics.
  • thl408
Brilliant

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news/rio-olympics-2016-athlete-robbed-china-shi-dongpeng/1c68o88eck19g1p4tc39bv0xmd
Shi Dongpeng, who competed in the 2012 London Olympics and specializes in the 110-meter hurdles, was robbed as part of an elaborate hoax, according to Inside The Games (H/T to ESPN's Rachel Nichols). Shi reportedly checked into his hotel alongside a cameraman when a stranger who appeared drunk approached them. The man vomited on Shi, and the cameraman chased the man out of the hotel.

It turns out the drunk man was the first step of a clear plan. With Shi off cleaning himself up and the cameraman gone, someone stole both men's baggage as well as the cameraman's equipment. Inside The Games says surveillance footage shows Shi and the cameraman were victims of a "professional job."
Originally posted by Overkill:

Yum.

Yummy indeed

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/corpses-excrement-litter-welcome-rio-olympic-sailing-venue-022014121--oly.html

[ Edited by Bluesbro on Aug 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Overkill:

Yum.

I was watching this over the weekend.. I visited that favela! I've been intrigued about how these guys live ever since.. crazy
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Seems like we're getting to a place in time, due to safety concerns and cost, where the Games will be/should be just given to countries and cities within countries that have the infrastructure already mostly in place. Like LA does. How much money would LA actually have to spend to ready itself for a Summer games? One-tenth that of Rio? Seems like 90% of everything is already there, ready and waiting. New York, Chicago, London, even the Bay Area could host, because almost all of the athletic venues are in place already. Also needs to be in countries that can provide adequate protection, and actually care how the product turns out. Seems like Rio checks none of the boxes necessary to host an Olympics.

agreed.. that real sports episode was showing the majority of those stadiums built in sochi (winter 14) aren't even being used anymore.. and it's costing $$$ just to maintain them

I think SF would be a perfect city.. traffic would be the only issue

Originally posted by bayarealuv:
Originally posted by Murphys1:

agreed.. that real sports episode was showing the majority of those stadiums built in sochi (winter 14) aren't even being used anymore.. and it's costing $$$ just to maintain them

I think SF would be a perfect city.. traffic would be the only issue

SF Bay area bid on these very Olympics, and were not even chosen for the finals. I think Chicago was in the final running with Rio of course.
I swear to god, draymond green....

In principle, there is no reason why hosting such events needs to be an economic own-goal. Between television rights, ticket sales, licensing and sponsorships, the most recent summer Olympics, in London, generated $5.2 billion in revenue. In a city with sufficient existing athletic, hotel and transport infrastructure, it would be easy to stage the competition for less than that figure and come away with a healthy profit—as Los Angeles did in the highly successful 1984 summer games. But over the past few decades, the IOC, in particular, has appropriated an ever-greater share of the proceeds for itself: the most recent public data reveal that it now pockets more than 70% of Olympic television revenue, compared with less than 4% between 1960 and 1980 (see chart). And there is little evidence to support the projections that hosting will bring a surge in tourism: Beijing and London both attracted fewer visitors during their summer Olympics in 2008 and 2012 respectively than they had in the same period a year earlier.

LINK

It looks like the IOC is increasingly favoring cities that promise all new facilities while also siphoning off more of the revenue. That virtually guarantees the host city will lose money.

HBO's Real Sports made it sound like oppressive regimes are becoming the only ones wiling to take those deals because they include propaganda value in the cost/benefit analysis. I'm not sure about that, but it does look like fewer cities are even applying to host these days.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

hopefully he'll keep his peen under wraps
Originally posted by TheDougernaut:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

hopefully he'll keep his peen under wraps

Least of concerns for him (and the rest of the W's / Team USA)
Share 49ersWebzone