There are 87 users in the forums

2016 Rio Summer Olympics thread

Deals to be had

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/olympics-2016-plenty-of-good-tickets-still-available-141534181.html
Phelps going to Rio to get more gold, and zika.
Russia might get their whole team booted out of the Olympics as details emerge of a complex doping program that was ran by the Ministry of Sport. WADA is recommending banning all Russians from Olympic events.


http://www.bbc.com/sport/36823453


Russia operated a state-sponsored doping programme for four years across the "vast majority" of summer and winter Olympic sports, claims a new report.

It was "planned and operated" from late 2011 - including the build-up to London 2012 - and continued through the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics until August 2015.

An investigation commissioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) says Russia's sports ministry "directed, controlled and oversaw" manipulation of urine samples provided by its athletes.

It says Russian athletes benefited from what the report called the "Disappearing Positive Methodology", whereby positive doping samples would go missing.

International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach described the commission's findings as a "shocking and unprecedented attack on the integrity of sport and on the Olympic Games" and pledged to enforce the "toughest sanctions available" against those implicated.

The IOC will decide on Tuesday about any "provisional measures and sanctions" for the Rio Olympics, which start on 5 August.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Russia might get their whole team booted out of the Olympics as details emerge of a complex doping program that was ran by the Ministry of Sport. WADA is recommending banning all Russians from Olympic events.


http://www.bbc.com/sport/36823453


Russia operated a state-sponsored doping programme for four years across the "vast majority" of summer and winter Olympic sports, claims a new report.

It was "planned and operated" from late 2011 - including the build-up to London 2012 - and continued through the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics until August 2015.

An investigation commissioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) says Russia's sports ministry "directed, controlled and oversaw" manipulation of urine samples provided by its athletes.

It says Russian athletes benefited from what the report called the "Disappearing Positive Methodology", whereby positive doping samples would go missing.

International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach described the commission's findings as a "shocking and unprecedented attack on the integrity of sport and on the Olympic Games" and pledged to enforce the "toughest sanctions available" against those implicated.

The IOC will decide on Tuesday about any "provisional measures and sanctions" for the Rio Olympics, which start on 5 August.

Well, here go: War.
twas out there last week.. super random trip.. my cousin wanted to go because you don't need a visa to visit right now (for the Olympics)

they are still preparing obviously.. this is the beach volleyball stadium on Copacabana being built..



some random cakes lol.. kinda hard to see.. I was creepin' lol



it's winter out there so I didn't see any mosquitos flyin' around.. knocking on wood
[ Edited by bayarealuv on Jul 18, 2016 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
twas out there last week.. super random trip.. my cousin wanted to go because you don't need a visa to visit right now (for the Olympics)

they are still preparing obviously.. this is the beach volleyball stadium on Copacabana being built..



some random cakes lol.. kinda hard to see.. I was creepin' lol



it's winter out there so I didn't see any mosquitos flyin' around.. knocking on wood
Almost how I pictured the beach in Rio...thongs present, but less garbage than I would think.
Haha good try bayarealuv
Brazil Police Order Arrest of Men Pledging ISIS Allegiance

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/Brazil-police-order-arrest-of-men-pleading-ISIS-allegiance--387808081.html

please protect the W's players, kthanxbye
I am hoping for another olympic controversy. Still remember Roy Jones Jr getting screwed out of the gold in South Korea.

[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Is it close enough to start an official Olympics thread yet? If not, this can be the pre-thread. This is what is greeting visitors showing up in Rio. I hope these games do not have any major incidents.

i would immediately apply for a local license/permit to carry a firearm in public in Rio, i'm sure thats possible.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I am hoping for another olympic controversy. Still remember Roy Jones Jr getting screwed out of the gold in South Korea.


This is still one of the worst inside screw jobs of all time. This is one of those judgement decisions that even someone that is a total homer for their country had to be embarrassed about. I can't imagine a single person that watched this fight did not think Jones won going away in the most dominating fashion possible, besides a knockout ... except for the judges. But they didn't think it either. They were paid or influenced in some regard, probably both.
61 cops have been killed in Rio since January

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rio-security-push-crumbles-murders-040547954.html
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
61 cops have been killed in Rio since January

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rio-security-push-crumbles-murders-040547954.html

a lot of armed cops when i was out there.. but like the guy said in the article.. it's probably just a facade

just stay in south rio and don't go anywhere near the other areas and you should be fine

i did a favela tour.. but the area i went to is supposedly more urbanized than most.. still pretty grimey though.. didn't regret doing it.. made me appreciate what i have back home
Zika virus, super bacteria in the water, police won't protect tourists. Hell yeah let's go!
http://thebiglead.com/2016/07/05/rio-is-dangerous-and-the-police-cant-and-reportedly-wont-protect-you/
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I am hoping for another olympic controversy. Still remember Roy Jones Jr getting screwed out of the gold in South Korea.


This is still one of the worst inside screw jobs of all time. This is one of those judgement decisions that even someone that is a total homer for their country had to be embarrassed about. I can't imagine a single person that watched this fight did not think Jones won going away in the most dominating fashion possible, besides a knockout ... except for the judges. But they didn't think it either. They were paid or influenced in some regard, probably both.

Yeah I remember watching thinking...did they just choose the Korean boxer? wtf
Share 49ersWebzone