2016 NBA Draft Thread

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Homer:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Lol magic

Oladipo must have some major demons. I see no point to that trade for them.

Addressing their biggest need (someone to protect the rim) could be a point.

I am baffled at the perception of the trade. While I can understand why the Thunder would do it (salary CAP, and get something for Ibaka when they could not afford him next off season), Ibaka is far and away the best player in this trade IMO. The Magic got a lot better with this move. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Thunder got fleeced. But to just assume they got the better of this deal is REALLY jumping the gun. Ilyasova may be a throw away (even if he isn't he is not elite), and Sabonis has yet to play minute one in the NBA. So if you look at this as a Olipido for Ibaka deal, it is heavily in the Magic favor.

What am I missing here?

Maybe more money to sign Durant
Originally posted by jimrat:
Maybe more money to sign Durant

No doubt, or to resign RW next year. There was not going to be enough money to go around in OKC next off season, particularly if Durant signs for 1 year and both Westboork and he will need to be maxed. But that does not change the fact that this was a good trade for Orlando (IMO anyway).
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I am baffled at the perception of the trade. While I can understand why the Thunder would do it (salary CAP, and get something for Ibaka when they could not afford him next off season), Ibaka is far and away the best player in this trade IMO. The Magic got a lot better with this move. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Thunder got fleeced. But to just assume they got the better of this deal is REALLY jumping the gun. Ilyasova may be a throw away (even if he isn't he is not elite), and Sabonis has yet to play minute one in the NBA. So if you look at this as a Olipido for Ibaka deal, it is heavily in the Magic favor.

What am I missing here?

I think OKC won that trade by a big margin. Doesn't mean Orlando got killed...but OKC had a lot of talent in the front-court and didn't have enough in the back-court. Also, Ibaka wasn't an ideal fit with OKC with the emergence of Adams. Ibaka was better fit when he could play Center...at PF he was forced to play behind the 3pt line to give space to Durant and Westbrook.

Oladipo is 24 and already a really good player at both ends. He takes care of OKC's biggest deficiency - and forms the most athletic back court duo in the league with Westbrook.

He has no real weaknesses. He can pass, he can score, he is gettin' better as a shooter, he can defend, and plays with high motor.

On top of Oladipo...they landed Sabonis who Sam Presti (his ecord in draft is ridiculously good) wanted all along in the draft. OKC wins hands down. On top of that...it has been reported that Durant was more than fine with Ibaka leaving OKC as a free-agent next year. The fact that OKC got Oladipo and lottery pick for a player who was gonna leave next year is a huge win for OKC.

Orlando got a very good player in Ibaka. It's not a bad trade for them either. Payton and Oladipo were bad fit together. But, now they lack talent on the perimeter in a league that is becoming a guard league. They must go out and find someone in the FA now.
Originally posted by 4ML:

What am I missing here?

I think OKC won that trade by a big margin. Doesn't mean Orlando got killed...but OKC had a lot of talent in the front-court and didn't have enough in the back-court. Also, Ibaka wasn't an ideal fit with OKC with the emergence of Adams. Ibaka was better fit when he could play Center...at PF he was forced to play behind the 3pt line to give space to Durant and Westbrook.

Oladipo is 24 and already a really good player at both ends. He takes care of OKC's biggest deficiency - and forms the most athletic back court duo in the league with Westbrook.

He has no real weaknesses. He can pass, he can score, he is gettin' better as a shooter, he can defend, and plays with high motor.

On top of Oladipo...they landed Sabonis who Sam Presti (his ecord in draft is ridiculously good) wanted all along in the draft. OKC wins hands down. On top of that...it has been reported that Durant was more than fine with Ibaka leaving OKC as a free-agent next year. The fact that OKC got Oladipo and lottery pick for a player who was gonna leave next year is a huge win for OKC.

Orlando got a very good player in Ibaka. It's not a bad trade for them either. Payton and Oladipo were bad fit together. But, now they lack talent on the perimeter in a league that is becoming a guard league. They must go out and find someone in the FA now.

OKC wins the trade if Sabonis turns into a legit starter during his rookie contract

pretty even ( assuming Oladipo is a starter) if sabonis is a back up during the rookie contract.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Both teams addressed needs. OKC needed better guard play outside of Westbrook and Orlando needed help protecting the rim. As you said, Payton and Oladipo weren't a good fit together. I think the key to this deal depends on if Ibaka is back after next season. If they can extend Ibaka and get someone solid at SG, they'll be fine.
Both teams addressed needs. OKC needed better guard play outside of Westbrook and Orlando needed help protecting the rim. As you said, Payton and Oladipo weren't a good fit together. I think the key to this deal depends on if Ibaka is back after next season. If they can extend Ibaka and get someone solid at SG, they'll be fine.

They need to keep Fournier. He's a great fit there and makes it easier to lose Oladipo. Plus Ibaka was frustrated in OKC and had a lower usage % year by year. I don't doubt he'll put up much better numbers in Orlando not having to play next to KD and Russ. Orlando just needs to add some depth and let the young guys play. They need a backup at the 1/2 and maybe a guy like Teletovic or Leuer.
Originally posted by saniner:

They need to keep Fournier. He's a great fit there and makes it easier to lose Oladipo. Plus Ibaka was frustrated in OKC and had a lower usage % year by year. I don't doubt he'll put up much better numbers in Orlando not having to play next to KD and Russ. Orlando just needs to add some depth and let the young guys play. They need a backup at the 1/2 and maybe a guy like Teletovic or Leuer.

Rudy is gonna pry Fournier from them for us.
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Oh I wish!! Fournier has such a smooth shot. I just can't see it happening. Hood, Hayward, Burks, Fournier all deserve minutes, and they have to share some with Hill/Exum since they can play together as well.

Oh I wish!! Fournier has such a smooth shot. I just can't see it happening. Hood, Hayward, Burks, Fournier all deserve minutes, and they have to share some with Hill/Exum since they can play together as well.

I know. I just really love his game. Seems to be more consistent than Hood's shot too.
I think OKC won that trade by a big margin.

I could not disagree more. Ibaka is the best player by far of all involved, is still young and a proven NBA talent. Tall, athletic, a rim protector and has developed range on his shot. I think he will not be held back on the Magic like he was on the Thunder. I will agree with what someone said above, that Sabonis is probably the key to determine whether this trade might correct itself toward being even for both teams. Will take a few years to see about that however.

• jrg
  • Veteran

I know. I just really love his game. Seems to be more consistent than Hood's shot too.

Dude can shoot.

With that said, back off!

Or, maybe its time for Orlando to unleash this guy

[ Edited by jrg on Jun 26, 2016 at 11:42 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
jrg, loves his Magic.
Originally posted by mayo49:
jrg, loves his Magic.

Too bad free agents don't
  • mayo49
  • Veteran