LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 337 users in the forums

Was Hayne right to quit the 49ers and chase Olympic Glory with the Fiji 7s?

Was Hayne right to quit the 49ers and chase Olympic Glory with the Fiji 7s?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/jarryd-hayne-if-the-nfl-had-a-minor-league-id-still-be-playing/

Now blaming the NFL for not providing a second their comp so he could learn the.game.

Effing heck. Does the crapola ever stop?

I reckon he will look back one day if he has any sense and then give himself an uppercut.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/jarryd-hayne-if-the-nfl-had-a-minor-league-id-still-be-playing/

Now blaming the NFL for not providing a second their comp so he could learn the.game.

I reckon he will look back one day if he has any sense and then give himself an uppercut.

Pretty much an admission he couldn't hang in the big league.
Mundine will help him with an uppercut.
Originally posted by Zealot:

A minor league system wouldn't be a bad idea really.

He could have tried the CFL.

But this makes me think...

"I'm at the end of my career where I really (have) just got to get on the field. I just want to be on the field. I've played eight games in two years. If I went back there to the NFL it'd be one of those things where I'd be a second or third string guy helping out but not really getting a lot of game time."

... He's a glory hunter & not really interested in playing in the NFL, if he is not going to be a star.
Originally posted by JustinMT:

A minor league system wouldn't be a bad idea really.

Definitely agree. The point in the context of Hayne though is that saying he'd return to the NFL if there was a second tier competition shows that the true reason he left was doubting he was going to make it. Fiji 7's was just a timely branch to swing to, not a legit reason to leave the NFL.
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:

He could have tried the CFL.

But this makes me think...

"I'm at the end of my career where I really (have) just got to get on the field. I just want to be on the field. I've played eight games in two years. If I went back there to the NFL it'd be one of those things where I'd be a second or third string guy helping out but not really getting a lot of game time."

... He's a glory hunter & not really interested in playing in the NFL, if he is not going to be a star.

Yep, his words betray his true motivations. Does he truly believe that God has been leading him through this process? If so, perhaps the lesson intended is "pride goeth before a fall."
Yep, his words betray his true motivations. Does he truly believe that God has been leading him through this process? If so, perhaps the lesson intended is "pride goeth before a fall."

Exactly Zeal... If he really wanted to play American football he'd be happy with whatever game time he got & would've been looking to make the most out of every rep in the hope of increasing his playing time / expanding to a wider role within the team.

(The same article as one on Profootballtalk, but extended).
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-confidential-jarryd-hayne-helps-fijian-rugby-teammate-land-contract-in-australia/news-story/ee191d6a06d38d68d8e3352af70dc6bd

"From my NFL experience it wasn't about fame or money, it was about an opportunity," he said.

"People get opportunities in life and the door only opens for so long.

(He seems aware of how people are starting to perceive him).

If there was a second division team where I could get those mental reps of being on the field, 100 per cent I'd go back to the NFL.
(Hmmm.... Not getting enough mental reps, but that's not what he said towards the end of last year while on the PS )
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/jarryd-hayne-says-time-on-san-francisco-49ers-practice-squad-has-accelerated-his-development-20151219-glrji5.html
(Excerpt from 2015 below)
Jarryd Hayne's first NFL season is drawing to a close, but he insists his career in America's most popular sport is just beginning.

Hayne said he did not regret his demotion on October 31. Rather, he says his learning curve has been accelerated by being on the practice squad and taking part on the 49ers' scout or "look" team, which every week provides the 49ers' starting players with a likeness of the opponent they will be facing that Sunday.

"I just feel like, in these short six weeks that I've been on the practice squad, I learnt so much," Hayne said. "There were two weeks where I literally took every single rep in the look-card squad. That was huge. The most reps I took in a row [prior to that] was probably three or four.

"Fitness-wise, I feel great. There were literally times where I didn't get off the field. I'd go from O [offence] to D [defence] to O to D and to special teams. I've enjoyed it. I've embraced every step."
... etc

(Back to the recent article)
Before becoming a household name and global brand, the 28-year-old provides a rare insight into choosing to grow up quickly and why making it in the NRL was his only option.
Sounds 100% like money & fame were on Jarryd's mind.

"I wanted to grow up and be my own man," he said.

"That was my only way out. I had nothing else. I had no education. I had no degree. I didn't want it either. I put so much effort into plan A, I didn't worry about plan B. I've still kind of lived my life like that."

"I always dreamt of never living there. My biggest thing as a kid was, I dint want my kids to grow up where I grew up and see the things I saw and that was a huge motivator. That was one of those things that I was willing to do whatever I had to do (to succeed).
Uh oh... People are starting to think I'm a money hungry, glory hunter... I better play the sympathy card & remind them about my upbringing on the mean streets of Minto & how I'm basically the Rocky Balboa of Australia.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I thought it was funny he blamed the NFL for not having a "minor league" or he'd still be playing?

There are many other options to play football outside of the NFL. There's semi pro leagues in pretty much every region of the States. Indoor league and Canada. If dude really wanted to keep playing football he could have. Don't give these excuses. lol
Originally posted by SoCold:
I thought it was funny he blamed the NFL for not having a "minor league" or he'd still be playing?

There are many other options to play football outside of the NFL. There's semi pro leagues in pretty much every region of the States. Indoor league and Canada. If dude really wanted to keep playing football he could have. Don't give these excuses. lol

Yep. It is the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Just downright arrogant. He has no idea how lucky he was........so what does he do.........blame the sport he should be grateful to.

Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:
Exactly Zeal... If he really wanted to play American football he'd be happy with whatever game time he got & would've been looking to make the most out of every rep in the hope of increasing his playing time / expanding to a wider role within the team.

(The same article as one on Profootballtalk, but extended).
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-confidential-jarryd-hayne-helps-fijian-rugby-teammate-land-contract-in-australia/news-story/ee191d6a06d38d68d8e3352af70dc6bd

"From my NFL experience it wasn't about fame or money, it was about an opportunity," he said.

"People get opportunities in life and the door only opens for so long.

(He seems aware of how people are starting to perceive him).

If there was a second division team where I could get those mental reps of being on the field, 100 per cent I'd go back to the NFL.
(Hmmm.... Not getting enough mental reps, but that's not what he said towards the end of last year while on the PS )
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/jarryd-hayne-says-time-on-san-francisco-49ers-practice-squad-has-accelerated-his-development-20151219-glrji5.html
(Excerpt from 2015 below)
Jarryd Hayne's first NFL season is drawing to a close, but he insists his career in America's most popular sport is just beginning.

Hayne said he did not regret his demotion on October 31. Rather, he says his learning curve has been accelerated by being on the practice squad and taking part on the 49ers' scout or "look" team, which every week provides the 49ers' starting players with a likeness of the opponent they will be facing that Sunday.

"I just feel like, in these short six weeks that I've been on the practice squad, I learnt so much," Hayne said. "There were two weeks where I literally took every single rep in the look-card squad. That was huge. The most reps I took in a row [prior to that] was probably three or four.

"Fitness-wise, I feel great. There were literally times where I didn't get off the field. I'd go from O [offence] to D [defence] to O to D and to special teams. I've enjoyed it. I've embraced every step."
... etc

(Back to the recent article)
Before becoming a household name and global brand, the 28-year-old provides a rare insight into choosing to grow up quickly and why making it in the NRL was his only option.
Sounds 100% like money & fame were on Jarryd's mind.

"I wanted to grow up and be my own man," he said.

"That was my only way out. I had nothing else. I had no education. I had no degree. I didn't want it either. I put so much effort into plan A, I didn't worry about plan B. I've still kind of lived my life like that."

"I always dreamt of never living there. My biggest thing as a kid was, I dint want my kids to grow up where I grew up and see the things I saw and that was a huge motivator. That was one of those things that I was willing to do whatever I had to do (to succeed).
Uh oh... People are starting to think I'm a money hungry, glory hunter... I better play the sympathy card & remind them about my upbringing on the mean streets of Minto & how I'm basically the Rocky Balboa of Australia.

He is continually digging the hole deeper.

It is putting Union and league in perspective for me since a few teams have been falling over themselves to sign the dribbler. Although Waratahs were smart or did not want to pay what he wanted.

League boof heads are showing their true colours. I doubt whoever picks him up will get value for money now.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
After the pre season last year Hayne has just jumped from one disappointment to the next. He couldn't cash the cheques he wrote in the preseason and just comes up with one poor excuse after another, like any bad debtor.
The 'mean streets of Minto?' i bet it was a car's exhaust that backfired sounding like a gun going off, and he chickened out, that night at Mcdonalds.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/what-49ers-really-thought-of-jarryd-hayne-his-running-backs-coachs-brutally-honest-revelation/news-story/4610f6d1736d0593c71499530ff44b02

Does this make Rathman a hater too.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/what-49ers-really-thought-of-jarryd-hayne-his-running-backs-coachs-brutally-honest-revelation/news-story/4610f6d1736d0593c71499530ff44b02

Does this make Rathman a hater too.

Hardly. It was ok to be sceptical the way Rathman and other's were. However, at the end of the day guys like Rathman did not give up on Hayne and were still backing him for year two.

Hayne gave up on himself. He is weak psychologically.

The 49ers deserve credit for giving Hayne a shot and sticking to the project. Hayne deserve nothing but a bullocking for being a weak minded individual who is a quitter. Shame on him.
Share 49ersWebzone