LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

Was Hayne right to quit the 49ers and chase Olympic Glory with the Fiji 7s?

Was Hayne right to quit the 49ers and chase Olympic Glory with the Fiji 7s?

• JoNeo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

Are you a bunnies or tigers fan?

Both but Tigers are a long time following
I think the Tiger seed was
planted when I was a young kid growing up watching the QLD cup
There was a Brisbane Tigers team when the games were televised in the seventies
I'll post this here as well... (Also posted in main Hayne thread)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/jarryd-hayne-reveals-biggest-regret-from-time-playing-american-football/news-story/eb97e0d33f732e1fc297e89daba4e088
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Now he is admitting it was all too hard and that is why he quit
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Going back to the eels the big piece of s**t.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
It is not confirmed yet but I bet that is where he ends up
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goatie:
It is not confirmed yet but I bet that is where he ends up
Yeah and i hope the fijian 7's coach drops him, trials are still on going, im hoping he hasnt got enough time to get better to be picked, but the thing is hes up against equal if not better talent than him.
[ Edited by 4x9er on Jul 9, 2016 at 7:36 PM ]
Gotta ask you guys, is there a division between the fans that followed Hayne to the States and thought less of him for quitting football, and fans that thought he should have never left and want to see him succeed elsewhere? Is there somekind of rivalry there?
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Gotta ask you guys, is there a division between the fans that followed Hayne to the States and thought less of him for quitting football, and fans that thought he should have never left and want to see him succeed elsewhere? Is there somekind of rivalry there?

Cant speak for the other blokes but to me he never completed what he set out to do and what so many of us followed him across was to see him follow that ambition and see it through, Left a bit of a sour taste to me that he showed to be a quitter and what it has done unintentionallly is made it harder for any aspiring talented aussie / kiwi to do a similar switch. What organisation would allow a similar thing to happen again and give up a coveted spot in the squad to a player they would be scared of loosing to another code at the drop of a hat like has happened here. Also if hayne had announced his new dream and left earlier it may have saved the heartache and distress that Gaskins faced when cut from the squad. As much as he never impressed most of us aussies, Gaskins wore the thin edge of the wedge with Hayne staying in squad but knowing he was gonna leave soon anyhow.

If Hayne had made the 53 again this year and stayed there for the season it would have been goal accomplished, we will never know if was good enough to do it.

Go the 49ers, will still be watching and supporting.
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by agumby:

Cant speak for the other blokes but to me he never completed what he set out to do and what so many of us followed him across was to see him follow that ambition and see it through, Left a bit of a sour taste to me that he showed to be a quitter and what it has done unintentionallly is made it harder for any aspiring talented aussie / kiwi to do a similar switch. What organisation would allow a similar thing to happen again and give up a coveted spot in the squad to a player they would be scared of loosing to another code at the drop of a hat like has happened here. Also if hayne had announced his new dream and left earlier it may have saved the heartache and distress that Gaskins faced when cut from the squad. As much as he never impressed most of us aussies, Gaskins wore the thin edge of the wedge with Hayne staying in squad but knowing he was gonna leave soon anyhow.

If Hayne had made the 53 again this year and stayed there for the season it would have been goal accomplished, we will never know if was good enough to do it.

Same sentiments, i admired his talent playing for parra and the blues, was hoping he would blow open the door in NFL, but quitting just like that gave me a bad taste, was hoping it was Chip
Kelly telling him he was no longer required
But that wasnt the case, chip wanted to see what this boy can do when season commences. Hayne said it was just too hard, talk about faith, he had lost faith in the second place, running after another dream, dreamer.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
He should have at least been honest with why he was quitting - ie it was too hard to get his head around the new playbook given he hadn't come up through college ranks - rather then the "I had another dream BS".

Hayne still has some die hard fans but most of the ones who followed him over have dropped him like a hot rock. I for one don't like quitters and when they are also BS artists it aggravates it even more.

Hayne only has a few fans left. The respect has gone.

• JoNeo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by agumby:

120percent
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4x9er:
Same sentiments, i admired his talent playing for parra and the blues, was hoping he would blow open the door in NFL, but quitting just like that gave me a bad taste, was hoping it was Chip
Kelly telling him he was no longer required
But that wasnt the case, chip wanted to see what this boy can do when season commences. Hayne said it was just too hard, talk about faith, he had lost faith in the second place, running after another dream, dreamer.

135percent
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goatie:
He should have at least been honest with why he was quitting - ie it was too hard to get his head around the new playbook given he hadn't come up through college ranks - rather then the "I had another dream BS".

Hayne still has some die hard fans but most of the ones who followed him over have dropped him like a hot rock. I for one don't like quitters and when they are also BS artists it aggravates it even more.

Hayne only has a few fans left. The respect has gone.

150percent

Probably doesn't answer your question, but it might surprise you that a lot of Hayne supporters were anything but before he went over there.

Many of us support an opposing club or state team to that which Hayne played for in Rugby League. But put him in the Green and Gold (Australian) jumper or on the international scene as a San Francisco Forty-Niner, and it galvanised support here at home that transcended those old club and state lines.

Now that he's bailed, I personally won't be following his story, but not out of any animosity, rather because he's choosing to represent another nation in a sport I don't care about, as a Fiji Rugby 7's player. If that falls through and he comes back to League, I'll view him just as I did before he left, the "enemy" whether he's in an Eels or New South Wales (state representative) jumper, but a true blue Aussie if he's in the Green and Gold.

Besides all that, one thing that makes me chuckle a bit is how some site members can't seem to come to terms with how some of us have become fans of the Niners through the process. They seem to think we would all tuck tail and run after Hayne, as though he was our be all and end all and we're incapable of making choices independent of his.

Some of us had an interest in the NFL long before Hayne ever played in our NRL, let alone actually made the switch between the two. But the string of ex Aussie Rules punters prior to Hayne, whilst duly respected, didn't really have the pull for League fans to bring about a commitment to learn the game or to a team. Hayne had that pull as a high profile NRL guy going over with the goal to become a player, not just to kick the occasional ball then go sit down.

Despite how that turned out, I've grown attached to this team as poor as they are or hopefully were, having watched all last season's games whether Hayne featured or not. I don't feel as though I'm intruding. I might still be a learner but I'm a Niner fan and I'm here to stay.
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zealot:
Probably doesn't answer your question, but it might surprise you that a lot of Hayne supporters were anything but before he went over there.

Many of us support an opposing club or state team to that which Hayne played for in Rugby League. But put him in the Green and Gold (Australian) jumper or on the international scene as a San Francisco Forty-Niner, and it galvanised support here at home that transcended those old club and state lines.

Now that he's bailed, I personally won't be following his story, but not out of any animosity, rather because he's choosing to represent another nation in a sport I don't care about, as a Fiji Rugby 7's player. If that falls through and he comes back to League, I'll view him just as I did before he left, the "enemy" whether he's in an Eels or New South Wales (state representative) jumper, but a true blue Aussie if he's in the Green and Gold.

Besides all that, one thing that makes me chuckle a bit is how some site members can't seem to come to terms with how some of us have become fans of the Niners through the process. They seem to think we would all tuck tail and run after Hayne, as though he was our be all and end all and we're incapable of making choices independent of his.

Some of us had an interest in the NFL long before Hayne ever played in our NRL, let alone actually made the switch between the two. But the string of ex Aussie Rules punters prior to Hayne, whilst duly respected, didn't really have the pull for League fans to bring about a commitment to learn the game or to a team. Hayne had that pull as a high profile NRL guy going over with the goal to become a player, not just to kick the occasional ball then go sit down.

Despite how that turned out, I've grown attached to this team as poor as they are or hopefully were, having watched all last season's games whether Hayne featured or not. I don't feel as though I'm intruding. I might still be a learner but I'm a Niner fan and I'm here to stay.

160percent
Share 49ersWebzone