There are 272 users in the forums

2015-16 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
https://theringer.com/lakers-sign-timofey-mozgov-luol-deng-2016-nba-free-agency-59da626f5a4e#.ifl06bb9y

Good article explaining why the Lakers are doing what they're doing.

The Lakers had to spend money and there wasn't anyone worth spending it on who wanted to play for them. What I don't understand is why they didn't try to sign Mozgov and Deng to front-loaded deals if the rational is that we have to spend money and want a locker room presence (or shorter deals). The Lakers know they are likely to lose a lot of games next year, so why not take the cap hit up front and make sure Deng and Mozgov are less of a cap burden 3-4 years from now when the team is competitive?

You aren't given the option to roll over cap space in the NBA like you are in the NFL, so the next best thing would be to front-load deals while you're rebuilding or sign these locker room influences to 2 year deals to preserve flexibility going forward in case the team becomes attractive to free agents again.

Maybe, just maybe, the actually like these players and have a specific role for them in mind. It's ok if you don't understand that. The hottest young coach in the league has a plan for this team and you/we might not understand that from the outside looking in.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Vucevic for Russell

You guys love Orlando's centers. Have another.
[ Edited by jrg on Jul 2, 2016 at 6:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Because he was drafted higher? He has shown nothing to even think that he can rebound, defend, or do anything as well as Draymond.

Look at his rookie season compared to Draymonds rookie/sophomore seasons. Even last years (14-15) stats were comparable. Watch the guy play. Even in their head to head match ups he has worked him. Randle seems to have the attitude and determination to make it happen too. He definitely has the ability.
[ Edited by angelv05 on Jul 2, 2016 at 6:43 PM ]
I'm ok with the youth movement. I think these guys will pan out. This might be a lofty goal but who cares, I'm a fan. I want the young four to average 80 points. That's not asking much for 4 players on a team but it is asking a lot for four young guys. I think they can. I also think there is 30 points available by the rest of the squad.

What I am curious about is the defense.
Originally posted by PacTiger:
I'm ok with the youth movement. I think these guys will pan out. This might be a lofty goal but who cares, I'm a fan. I want the young four to average 80 points. That's not asking much for 4 players on a team but it is asking a lot for four young guys. I think they can. I also think there is 30 points available by the rest of the squad.

What I am curious about is the defense.

maybe down the line, but no way all 4 average 20 points this season.

i'll be happy with 10 ppg from Ingram

Randle should show even more improvement this season, in his 3rd year now, i expect close to 15 ppg

Russel also needs to be around 15-17 ppg, and same with Clarkson.

and the defense will be an issue without a stud defensive center, that's why I wanted Whiteside so bad. Randle is an undersized PF, Ingram right now looks like a small breeze could move him, Clarkson is also undersized at SG, Russel got the size, but can't keep up with the quicker PGs.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Jul 3, 2016 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by angelv05:
I think Randles ceiling can be higher than Draymond Greens.

Because he was drafted higher? He has shown nothing to even think that he can rebound, defend, or do anything as well as Draymond.

Look at his rookie season compared to Draymonds rookie/sophomore seasons. Even last years (14-15) stats were comparable. Watch the guy play. Even in their head to head match ups he has worked him. Randle seems to have the attitude and determination to make it happen too. He definitely has the ability.

Come on man. He is not even in the same league as Green right now (well, technically they are both in the NBA I guess ... lol). Green is literally one of the best players in the league, love him or hate him. Almost by any metric (check link below and sort by any column). Not saying that Randle doesn't have talent/promise. But right now there is no comparison. There would not be a single GM in the league that would take Randle over Green, not one.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/WINS
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Come on man. He is not even in the same league as Green right now (well, technically they are both in the NBA I guess ... lol). Green is literally one of the best players in the league, love him or hate him. Almost by any metric (check link below and sort by any column). Not saying that Randle doesn't have talent/promise. But right now there is no comparison. There would not be a single GM in the league that would take Randle over Green, not one.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/WINS

I don't think he said anything close to randle is better and GM's would take him over Green. He said randle's ceiling could be higher. Which is speculation and opinion. How did you get to where you did so fast in a completely different direction? lol
One good news about the Lakers. I was reading Kawakamis tweet that one of the main reason KD left because of Westbrooks uncertainty next year to stay in OKC. Same reason why Horford didn't sign with OKC. I think you guys have a big chance to sign Weatbrook next year. He is an LA guy you guys got a great chance.
So does this mean Westbrook is coming to LA to create a rivalry with durant and the warriors ?

Originally posted by nothing03:
One good news about the Lakers. I was reading Kawakamis tweet that one of the main reason KD left because of Westbrooks uncertainty next year to stay in OKC. Same reason why Horford didn't sign with OKC. I think you guys have a big chance to sign Weatbrook next year. He is an LA guy you guys got a great chance.

You beat me to it, makes sense, trade Russel for a real SG
Originally posted by corona55569:
So does this mean Westbrook is coming to LA to create a rivalry with durant and the warriors ?

Big chance he goes to the lakers since Clippers already got Chris Paul.
Originally posted by corona55569:
Originally posted by nothing03:

You beat me to it, makes sense, trade Russel for a real SG

But Russell is a PG and Westbrook would play the 2.
With the team the Dubs just put together, it's a good thing we aren't going to be relevant for another four years anyways. Every team not named Cleveland or San Antonio should basically be shooting to be in their primes once Curry/KD hit 30+ just to have a decent chance. Until then, you're all SOL anyways.
Westbrook going home for the 2017-18 season
Share 49ersWebzone