There are 238 users in the forums

FIFA officials arrested over corruption charges (update: Blatter resigns!)

South Africa launches investigation that bribes were paid to get their World Cup.

FIFA admits that it paid Ireland $5.6 million because of Henry's handball goal that kept Ireland out of the Cup.

And the wormhole gets bigger.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
South Africa launches investigation that bribes were paid to get their World Cup.

FIFA admits that it paid Ireland $5.6 million because of Henry's handball goal that kept Ireland out of the Cup.

Ya. I don't know how they are going to clean this up though. Sure, you can get rid of the president and other corrupt guys, but it seems like every country has some form of corruption going on. I don't think they'll be able to catch all these people that took part in bribes, but if FIFA would put in some strict punishments, it would help a lot.

If a country gets caught taking bribes or fixing matches, they should be banned from soccer competition for a full year and miss a World Cup. Same thing should happen for a club team, relegation, suspension, etc. Give them a form of an NCAA death penalty, and I guarantee a lot of this s**t will stop.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:

Ya. I don't know how they are going to clean this up though. Sure, you can get rid of the president and other corrupt guys, but it seems like every country has some form of corruption going on. I don't think they'll be able to catch all these people that took part in bribes, but if FIFA would put in some strict punishments, it would help a lot.

If a country gets caught taking bribes or fixing matches, they should be banned from soccer competition for a full year and miss a World Cup. Same thing should happen for a club team, relegation, suspension, etc. Give them a form of an NCAA death penalty, and I guarantee a lot of this s**t will stop.

I don't think there would be a world cup if every country that was dirty was banned from the next one. I think you just have to clean it up and move forward.
Poor Sepp Bladder, he'll have to retire to his chalet in Switzerland.
I don't think there would be a world cup if every country that was dirty was banned from the next one. I think you just have to clean it up and move forward.

Ya, well you don't do it for the next one, but you start putting this sort of rule in place going forward. For the 2022 WC (I would be shocked if this doesn't get revoted on) if you get caught taking bribes you're out of it, and if you get caught fixing matches, you're out of the next one. There are over 200 countries in this world, I'm sure we'll find plenty of countries that will play by the rules.

Also, Landon Donovan was on the DP show, and he talked about how teams fix matches and why. He gave an example (he didn't mention the date) when they played El Salvador, and El Salvador knew they were going to lose either way, so some of the players accepted money to not play as well, and allow the US to score an extra 2-3 goals. And the reason for this is because on average an El Salvador player makes about 15,000 a year, so you can see why it's so easy to fix matches. FIFA has billions just laying around, it wouldn't hurt them to give bigger salaries to these players from smaller / poor countries, imo, that would fix a lot of match fixing.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Jun 5, 2015 at 9:03 AM ]

//

Share 49ersWebzone