There are 298 users in the forums

Oakland Athletics thread

Originally posted by vaden:
The statistics continue to show that this is a decent team. 8th in runs allowed per game, 12th in runs scored per game, yet the worst record in the AL. As horrific as last season ended, at least we were competitive. This season has felt doomed from early on due mainly to bad luck.

Yeah its bizarre. The team doesn't "feel" like the worst team in the AL.
how is Zobrist doing for you guys?
I miss Cespedes, Donaldson and Russell. Can't believe we traded them, will never forgive Beane.
A's gonna blow this s**t again...
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I miss Cespedes, Donaldson and Russell. Can't believe we traded them, will never forgive Beane.

He would be fired anywhere else if he traded those guys. I couldnt believe them at the time and still cant.
Time to unload Zobrist and Kazmir. This season is done, and they need to plan for 2016.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

He would be fired anywhere else if he traded those guys. I couldnt believe them at the time and still cant.

He tried way too hard last season

I'm personally sick of having to go through this b******t. I honestly lost some love for the A's after what's happened over the last year. I haven't watched a game in over a month.

I think I'll end up getting over it but I'm still pissed he got rid of Donaldson and Russell especially. They both had over 4 years of team control left, no reason to trade either one period, and he trades both.

I honestly don't give a flying f**k that they're so bad this year because Beane deserves it.

I got so attached to the players on our team the last 3 years and right now I really don't care about any player on the roster besides Sonny Gray and Sean Doolittle. It's not fun to watch, so I don't.
[ Edited by IT21 on Jun 21, 2015 at 12:32 AM ]
Originally posted by IT21:
He tried way too hard last season

I'm personally sick of having to go through this b******t. I honestly lost some love for the A's after what's happened over the last year. I haven't watched a game in over a month.

I think I'll end up getting over it but I'm still pissed he got rid of Donaldson and Russell especially. They both had over 4 years of team control left, no reason to trade either one period, and he trades both.

I honestly don't give a flying f**k that they're so bad this year because Beane deserves it.

I got so attached to the players on our team the last 3 years and right now I really don't care about any player on the roster besides Sonny Gray and Sean Doolittle. It's not fun to watch, so I don't.

I didn't like giving up Russell but I thought it was worth getting Samardzija to solidify the rotation for a run at a title. But then Cespedes...and Donaldson. As I've stated many times, the A's have money, they could've afforded both those guys...certainly at least one, which if I had to choose I keep Donaldson and WAIT until the OFFSEASON to trade Cespedes, not in the middle of a penant race for a 2-mo rental of a pitcher you didn't really need.

And don't forget he also traded away a pretty solid pitcher in Milone to get back Sam Fuld, a guy they cut earlier in the season in part because Beane was still man-loving Daric Effing Barton.

And Brandon Moss, not great but a good LH power bat...what the f*** did they even get for him, a couple buckets of batting practice balls?

Re: Gray, you can't convince me that Beane isn't already concocting trade scenarios...and Doolittle, I personally think his15-minutes are up, at least as a closer.
Originally posted by captveg:
Time to unload Zobrist and Kazmir. This season is done, and they need to plan for 2016.

I think Reddick, too. Thing is they've been just good enough over the past month to where it might keep Beane from pushing the fire sale button...if they go into the ASB less than, say, 10 games back, he might let things play out up until the deadline. But once he does start to sell, I don't think there's one guy who he'll consider untouchable, and that includes Gray and Vogt.
We'll take Reddick and Kasmir off your hands.

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by captveg:

I think Reddick, too. Thing is they've been just good enough over the past month to where it might keep Beane from pushing the fire sale button...if they go into the ASB less than, say, 10 games back, he might let things play out up until the deadline. But once he does start to sell, I don't think there's one guy who he'll consider untouchable, and that includes Gray and Vogt.

+1

If Billy has a 3-4 year plan, I'd guess that Semien, Burns, and Phegley are constants for the roster (but not untouchable). That could be a solid "core" for the middle of the field. I know Semien has been rough, but he is working with Wash and I think he had a solid career at Cal after a rough first year. Even if he fails at SS, his bat could work well in other positions.

Yeah, Gray, Vogt, and Reddick are probably on the bubble.

Kazmir and Zobrist will either be traded or I assume Billy tenders them in the offseason for the supplemental picks.

With or without trades, they've just got to keep doing what they've done recently (try to win a series and keep scrapping till they're at .500, then go from there).
So the A's sweep the Rangers...here we've been talking about fire sale, but could the A's actually become buyers? I don't know, this mild hot streak doesn't have me convinced, think it's fool's gold...but I've been wrong before. Well if there's one thing the Oakland A's do, for good and bad they tend to make things interesting.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Jun 25, 2015 at 3:18 PM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Things were due to start evening out. They've ranked well in run differential all season (currently 6th) and over time that stat has a high correlation with W/L record. Offensively there will very likely be some regression but their pitching should continue to be very good.
Oh no! We suck again!
So yeah, after gaining some momentum over last month, looking really feeble and getting punked 3 straight by the Royals wasn't the way you want to start a 10-game homestand that's at a fairly pivotal point in the season where Beane might start making choices.

They've got 3 vs. Rox and then 4 vs. Mariners for remainder of homestand...if, big IF, they do something like 5-2 or 6-1, maybe pick up a couple games on the Astros and leapfrog the M's, then I think Beane holds off for a bit. But if they s*** the bed and fall even further back, then Beane knows it's pretty much over...one thing to be in 2nd or 3rd and 10-12 games back, but when you're that far back AND and 5th place where you've got all those teams to climb over, nearly impossible.
Share 49erswebzone