LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Oakland Athletics thread

Rangers best team in the AL West

Look at the score....

/thread
Eric sogard needs to get tn the cage and practice bunting.

Seriously the guy is worthless can't even execute baseball fundamentals.
Get up 3-0 on Felix, knock him out of the game, score 4 in the 9th to tie the game at 7-7, but then still manage to lose....yeah that sucked.

They're 3-4 but could just as easily be 5-2...unlike past few years they're not winning the close games so far.

Starting pitching has been solid, but the defense and more surprisingly the bullpen have been subpar. Offensively A's are a little better than I expected, but with all the hits they're getting they have trouble getting the big clutch hits.

After 1 week it's still too early to know much about what this team will be, but to me they have the feel of a team that wins 85, maybe 88 games...which although down from past few seasons, I think would be a positive to build on next couple seasons, provided of course Beane doesn't blow it all up again.
Kazmir, wow...TBH with the way he faded the final 2 months of last season, I had my doubts that he would be effective this year. Still a long way to go but so far he looks great.
Talking to myself, but whatever...A's now have 4 shutouts in their first 9 games. I think that's pretty good.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Talking to myself, but whatever...A's now have 4 shutouts in their first 9 games. I think that's pretty good.

Naw, keep it up lol. People are reading, even if they ain't posting
Originally posted by TheRambler:

Naw, keep it up lol. People are reading, even if they ain't posting

So what do you make of the team these handful of games into the season? One interesting trait they have so far is oscillating between looking shaky and getting beat, then looking great and just trucking teams...in their 4 losses their run differential is -18, and in 5 victories it's +41.

Got the Royals in KC coming up and they're very hot to start the season...honestly would be glad if the A's just don't get swept, they've got Gray (Friday) and Kazmir (Sunday) going in the series so I think they should be able to win at least one.
Another shutout by A's pitching, that is #5 on the season already....their run diff in victories is +46!....combined score of 47-1. Don't know what this team will be this year but that's an impressive stat.
http://www.foxsports.com/video?vid=430300739891
So the A's did manage to win 1 vs Royals, but wasn't either of the games started by Gray or Kazmir, go figure...

So the A's did manage to win 1 vs Royals, but wasn't either of the games started by Gray or Kazmir, go figure...

Hah, of course.

I like the scrappiness, but the consistency needs improvement. I'm hopeful that they find their stride, especially when Doolittle comes back. So far, at least it's better than last season's free-fall.

I think Lawrie handled things fairly well this weekend. His on-field demeanor reminds me of Romo-cop. Intense guy.
Originally posted by zonkers:
I like the scrappiness, but the consistency needs improvement. I'm hopeful that they find their stride, especially when Doolittle comes back. So far, at least it's better than last season's free-fall.

I think Lawrie handled things fairly well this weekend. His on-field demeanor reminds me of Romo-cop. Intense guy.

Hopefully when Doolittle comes back it helps steady what has been a very shaky bullpen, which is a surprise. But that was huge by Otero last night to go 4, then Scribner and Clippard closed it out. And I believe in Stephen Vogt, dude is mashing right now.

And oh btw, Cubs have now called up Addison Russell.
Originally posted by zonkers:

The Lawrie thing got a lot of ESPN coverage. Guess any press is good press?
Not that I'm complaining or anything, and I know they're playing on different teams, different parks, etc., but here's what last year's 3-4-5 hitters are doing so far this year:

Donaldson
.349./402/.602/1.005 5 HR/16 RBI

Cespedes
.304./325/.570/.895 4 HR/17 RBI

Moss
.236./317/.527/.845 4 HR / 14 RBI

Moss nothing special, but is heating up after a terrible start...I've made my thoughts known on Cespedes many times....but REALLY don't get trading away one of the top 3B in the league, one who's good defensively and on offense, including power...and one who was still relatively cheap. So I guess be ready to say goodbye to Vogt and Gray at this year's deadline.
Share 49ersWebzone