There are 168 users in the forums

Oakland Athletics thread

Originally posted by socalfan21:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by IT21:
The Bay Area is big enough for 2 teams. The A's don't have to be a "small market" team. They choose to be.

Our owners are cheap f**ks and are the reason we're considered a small market team. They're the reason we're still in that piece of s**t stadium too. They don't care about winning, they don't care about having a fan base that supports the team. All they care about is collecting the $$ from revenue sharing and making sure Beane spends little enough on our roster so that they can collect their millions. They get $30 mill a year from revenue sharing. The whole "we don't have money to spend" b******t is a joke.

That's the truth. And nothing will change unless we have new ownership. Hopefully they sell to someone that cares about baseball, because I'm convinced we will never, ever win a championship with the current ownership. It's not possible.

And I'm convinced Beane doesn't care about winning either. He's too busy trying to look like a genius in front of the rest of the world and glorifying himself in books and movies. If he cared about winning a baseball championship he wouldn't be the A's GM.

Of course the Bay Area can easily support 2 teams, regardless that the Giants dwarf the A's across the board (tv, attendance, etc). Can't say that I recall the White Sox, Mets, or Angels crying small market.

And you're right about the A's having money to spend...the franchise continues to increase in value, they get their welfare checks from MLB, Fisher is one of the wealthiest owners in MLB, and the A's are routinely on the list of teams who do turn a profit. The low payroll and wheel-spinning on a new stadium are self-imposed by the small-minded.

The Beanius should be popping corks today to celebrate the 1-yr anniversary of him gutting the best A's team in 25 yrs and starting in motion the complete dismantling of team that still had a chance to be very good. Well done Billy Boy....very well done.

IT21, Every team in sports cares about making money, with or without winning. Don't get it twisted.

Yup. I tend to see it as the A's ownership having an extremely conservative business plan. They won't pour in money unless they have the perfect situation.Whether it's realistic or not, San Jose would have been great.
Until that perfect situation pops up, they'll just try to make the most $$ with a smaller budget. Can't blame them for wanting a surefire way to ensure profits. But, as fans, we can blame them for not being more aggressive in developing their footprint.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Last year Billy Boy had Cespedes and Donaldson and the A's were the odds on favorites to win the WS.

Today the A's have the worst record in the AL, Josh Donaldson is going to win the MVP in the American League, and Yoenis Cespedes is the best player on the hottest team in the NL. Oh.. not to mention that Addison Russell guy.

Tell me.. how does this guy keep his job? Anyone else would be ridiculed and fired after these moves.

Doesn't hurt that he's got a small ownership stake, or that the team is owned by one of the wealthiest owners in MLB but who also happens to be extremely cheap and doesn't really care about winning. And even to this day The Beanius gets all condescendy when asked about it and refuses to simply admit that he f***ed up, as if we're all just too stupid to appreciate his brilliance.

And don't forget during his 2014 Summer Of Destruction he also traded away a very serviceable lefty in Tommy Milone who he had banished to AAA even after Milone won something like 5 or 6 straight starts.... and traded him to get back the underwhelming Sam Fuld who he released earlier in the season when Coco Crisp returned from one of his 150-or-so trips to the DL... and it's Mr. China Doll CRISP who should have been traded after his career year in 2013 when his value was probably near its peak. And there's also Beane's years-long love affair with Daric Barton which cost other (better) players a roster spot, including Stephen Vogt at start of 2014 season.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 12, 2015 at 12:21 AM ]
Watching my first A's game since June

will stop watching once Zito and Huddy are pulled lol
  • Garce
  • Veteran
So what are the chances Beane deals Sonny Gray this offseason?
Originally posted by Garcia:
So what are the chances Beane deals Sonny Gray this offseason?

I would say 1% since they control him for 4 more years and he is one of the best in baseball. I would say ZERO but Beane has been a dumbass lately.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I would say 1% since they control him for 4 more years and he is one of the best in baseball. I would say ZERO but Beane has been a dumbass lately.

If Beane were to trade him - it seems his highest value would be right now based on age, cost and control...

If Beane were to trade him - it seems his highest value would be right now based on age, cost and control...

With Beane you just never know. I still cant believe he traded Josh Donaldson and Addision Russell.

With Beane you just never know. I still cant believe he traded Josh Donaldson and Addision Russell.

Still haven't forgiven him
Still temporarily hate the entire franchise because of him.

The A's were something like 16-34 in 1 run games this season. God knows how many games they would've won if they kept Russell, Donaldson, and Cespedes. Could've also done the Zobrist trade since we didn't give anyone we received from the other deals for him.

Cespy and Donaldson both had mvp caliber seasons :(
[ Edited by IT21 on Oct 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM ]

The A's were something like 16-34 in 1 run games this season. God knows how many games they would've won if they kept Russell, Donaldson, and Cespedes. Could've also done the Zobrist trade since we didn't give anyone we received from the other deals for him.

Just gotta love the Beanius...Donaldson likely to win AL MVP, and Cespedes will probably get votes in the NL. So weird how the Mets were averaging ~3.5 RPG before Cespedes, and then 6+ after they got him...almost as if besides his own production, his presence in the lineup makes a difference. But hey, Billy Boy told me none of that really matters and they made a movie about him.

Just gotta love the Beanius...Donaldson likely to win AL MVP, and Cespedes will probably get votes in the NL. So weird how the Mets were averaging ~3.5 RPG before Cespedes, and then 6+ after they got him...almost as if besides his own production, his presence in the lineup makes a difference. But hey, Billy Boy told me none of that really matters and they made a movie about him.

It's incredible what adding/removing Cespedes to and from a lineup can do.

Rich Hill? Why?
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Rich Hill? Why?

didnt even know who he was. guess that's what happen when you don't watch baseball for a year

seems like a typical Beane move, sign a veteran pitcher to a 1 year deal and hope he produces
With JD winning AL MVP, man that brilliant trade by the Beanius looking better all the time.
With JD winning AL MVP, man that brilliant trade by the Beanius looking better all the time.

He had a movie made about him, right? Don't you remember? And Brad Pitt played him, right? And did you see how he put that worthless fat f**k Art Howe (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) right in his place during that movie? And showed him what a dumb f**k he was? That's real moneyball GM action right there!

How could he be anything but a Beanius?
Jed Lowrie's back! The A's now have him at the price they weren't willing to pay. The Astros really wanted him twice, only they suddenly realized they had younger stars to pay and stabbed his contract in the back.
Share 49ersWebzone