LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Oakland Athletics thread

Originally posted by captveg:
Some actual new stadium optimism?

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2015/7/30/9069897/athletics-would-keep-playing-at-coliseum-if-they-build-new-stadium

Not getting my hopes up until ground breaks
Originally posted by IT21:

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2015/7/30/9069897/athletics-would-keep-playing-at-coliseum-if-they-build-new-stadium

how come the a's aren't building a stadium near the port of oakland?
If Lew is serious about winning he needs to pony up and make Sonny Gray one of our long term franchise cornerstones. This guy is the next Tim Hudson: don't let him be the one that got away. Yeah pitchers are very volatile and someone with his frame is especially vulnerable to injury, but that's one of the risks of doing business. You have to take risks sometimes. The Warriors made a leap of faith to trade Monta and make Curry and his "glass ankles" the cornerstone of their franchise. Chances for true, consistently Cy Young award consideration level ace pitcher don't come along very often and when they do you have to sieze it.

Now we need a franchise cornerstone on the offensive side of the ball. Thought Russell would be it. Maybe Baretto will be. Maybe Matt Chapman but I think he's more of a complementary piece. Maybe it's someone we draft next year.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
If Lew is serious about winning he needs to pony up and make Sonny Gray one of our long term franchise cornerstones. This guy is the next Tim Hudson: don't let him be the one that got away. Yeah pitchers are very volatile and someone with his frame is especially vulnerable to injury, but that's one of the risks of doing business. You have to take risks sometimes. The Warriors made a leap of faith to trade Monta and make Curry and his "glass ankles" the cornerstone of their franchise. Chances for true, consistently Cy Young award consideration level ace pitcher don't come along very often and when they do you have to sieze it.

Now we need a franchise cornerstone on the offensive side of the ball. Thought Russell would be it. Maybe Baretto will be. Maybe Matt Chapman but I think he's more of a complementary piece. Maybe it's someone we draft next year.

Again, not getting my hopes up. I hope you don't. Oakland Athletics and franchise cornerstones? lol

Expecting him to be traded in 2-3 years for a package of prospects
[ Edited by IT21 on Aug 10, 2015 at 6:45 PM ]
26 hits
Originally posted by TheRathman44:
26 hits

Oh sure Graveman sucks now, but just you wait and see, someday he'll make you forget The Beanius traded away a fan favorite, good glove, power-hitting 3B MVP-candidate.
Thank you Oakland!
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

do you guys want Hudson back?
Gags out
http://www.csnbayarea.com/athletics/fire-gallego-install-washington-third-base-coach

I read somewhere that the A's lead the major in runners thrown out at the plate.
Though, I wonder if this has more to do with IF defense. This lets Wash dish out in-game coaching.
Maybe the next 6 weeks will determine if the A's keep Semien at SS and where to put Lawrie.

The Warriors are leaving for sure, and the Raiders are very likely to end up in LA, which will force Oakland to keep its only remaining pro franchise. The A's will get their stadium.

Originally posted by Niners99:

The Warriors are leaving for sure, and the Raiders are very likely to end up in LA, which will force Oakland to keep its only remaining pro franchise. The A's will get their stadium.

It's like 99% certainty Warriors will move...but it's not a completely done deal. Personally I like where they're at, easy and convenient to get there, I definitely won't go to as many games in SF...plus I doubt an arena there that's built for the Google crowd will have the same atmosphere and noise that they have now. But yeah, most likely they'll be tipping off the 2018 season in SF.

Re: Raiders, also wish they would stay...but if it came down to the city of Oakland having to make a choice between them or the A's, it's the A's and I don't think it's even close. Even with the smaller baseball crowds, the 81 home games has a far greater economic impact than 10 for the Raiders. Would love to see Oakland pull off a miracle and keep all 3 teams or at least 2, but in the end probably will be just the A's...and it's Oakland, so they might even screw that up.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Niners99:

It's like 99% certainty Warriors will move...but it's not a completely done deal. Personally I like where they're at, easy and convenient to get there, I definitely won't go to as many games in SF...plus I doubt an arena there that's built for the Google crowd will have the same atmosphere and noise that they have now. But yeah, most likely they'll be tipping off the 2018 season in SF.

Re: Raiders, also wish they would stay...but if it came down to the city of Oakland having to make a choice between them or the A's, it's the A's and I don't think it's even close. Even with the smaller baseball crowds, the 81 home games has a far greater economic impact than 10 for the Raiders. Would love to see Oakland pull off a miracle and keep all 3 teams or at least 2, but in the end probably will be just the A's...and it's Oakland, so they might even screw that up.

Not even a miracle would keep the Warriors in Oakland. Both SF and the Warriors want it to happen, and SF is the glamorous, profitable side of town.

I dont think you would see any difference in crowd atmosphere. The Giants always have great crowds. Its not like the same crowd wouldnt show up just because its across the bridge. Warrior fans are hardcore enough to make the trip.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
The Bay Area is big enough for 2 teams. The A's don't have to be a "small market" team. They choose to be.

Our owners are cheap f**ks and are the reason we're considered a small market team. They're the reason we're still in that piece of s**t stadium too. They don't care about winning, they don't care about having a fan base that supports the team. All they care about is collecting the $$ from revenue sharing and making sure Beane spends little enough on our roster so that they can collect their millions. They get $30 mill a year from revenue sharing. The whole "we don't have money to spend" b******t is a joke.

That's the truth. And nothing will change unless we have new ownership. Hopefully they sell to someone that cares about baseball, because I'm convinced we will never, ever win a championship with the current ownership. It's not possible.

And I'm convinced Beane doesn't care about winning either. He's too busy trying to look like a genius in front of the rest of the world and glorifying himself in books and movies. If he cared about winning a baseball championship he wouldn't be the A's GM.

Of course the Bay Area can easily support 2 teams, regardless that the Giants dwarf the A's across the board (tv, attendance, etc). Can't say that I recall the White Sox, Mets, or Angels crying small market.

And you're right about the A's having money to spend...the franchise continues to increase in value, they get their welfare checks from MLB, Fisher is one of the wealthiest owners in MLB, and the A's are routinely on the list of teams who do turn a profit. The low payroll and wheel-spinning on a new stadium are self-imposed by the small-minded.

The Beanius should be popping corks today to celebrate the 1-yr anniversary of him gutting the best A's team in 25 yrs and starting in motion the complete dismantling of team that still had a chance to be very good. Well done Billy Boy....very well done.

IT21, Every team in sports cares about making money, with or without winning. Don't get it twisted.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
IT21, Every team in sports cares about making money, with or without winning. Don't get it twisted.

Yea but no owner in any of the 3 major sports cares less about winning than our ownership group. That's a fact. I've read that John fisher was a Giants fan growing up, wouldn't be surprised if he still roots for the Giants. The A's are his side business and nothing more. He doesn't care if they win.
[ Edited by IT21 on Sep 8, 2015 at 9:57 AM ]
Last year Billy Boy had Cespedes and Donaldson and the A's were the odds on favorites to win the WS.

Today the A's have the worst record in the AL, Josh Donaldson is going to win the MVP in the American League, and Yoenis Cespedes is the best player on the hottest team in the NL. Oh.. not to mention that Addison Russell guy.

Tell me.. how does this guy keep his job? Anyone else would be ridiculed and fired after these moves.
Share 49ersWebzone