There are 249 users in the forums

****CA Angels of CA Thread FYG****

Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
It is always so hard to win in Oakland. Must be the drums. Great win though!

the guy who kept whistling was so f**king annoying, had to mute the tv lol

this Pujols hitting 4th is gonna hurt us on offense this year...again.

our offense would be so much better if

1 Cozart
2 Kinsler vs lefties / Kole vs righties
3 Upton
4 Trout
5 Pujols
6 Kinsler or Kole
7 DH
8 Simmons
9 Maldonado

Also, Parker needs to just be a set up guy, let Cam or Middleton close games.

Don't even get me started on Pujols. I'd rather have simmons bat cleanup.

I really hope scioscia doesn't mismanage our relief pitching as he does our line up order. Eppler has done an incredible job piecing this team together without a farm and millions of dollars locked up in guys like Pujols or Hamilton...Middleton should be eased in as a high leverage guy, even closer. Blake, no. Cam, hes too inconsistent. That Noe Ramirez has seriously nasty stuff too
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
welp, there goes Niner99s theory. threw 99-100 consistently today.

I never said he couldn't throw 99-100 at different points for 6 innings. I said he wouldn't do it on a regular basis, because its not good for your arm to cruise at that velocity as a starter. At the start of the season a pitcher is also at full strength, not to mention he was making his first career start, so he had the adrenaline going. He will likely, by choice, sit at around 96 mph with the fastball. RP are the ones with the luxury of maxing out velocity on every pitch.
Ohtani!!!
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Ohtani!!!

Maybe the hype was justified.
I haven't seen the Big A going nuts like that in a longggg time
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Ohtani!!!

IMO he's going to be a top tier pitcher, but wont be hitting much at all in 2-3 years. Its just too hard to maintain a swing at the same time as youre keeping your pitching mechanics in tune. Since he has the better potential as a pitcher, he'll focus on that exclusively.

If he wanted to hit he should've signed with an NL team. Then he could at least play the Bumgarner role as s full time pitcher and rake the days he's pitching. If he has to abandon playing DH at some point to focus on pitching, he'll get stuck not being able to hit at all.
Ohtani!!!

Dodger fan:

Lucky swing...
Originally posted by Niners99:
Ohtani!!!

IMO he's going to be a top tier pitcher, but wont be hitting much at all in 2-3 years. Its just too hard to maintain a swing at the same time as youre keeping your pitching mechanics in tune. Since he has the better potential as a pitcher, he'll focus on that exclusively.

If he wanted to hit he should've signed with an NL team. Then he could at least play the Bumgarner role as s full time pitcher and rake the days he's pitching. If he has to abandon playing DH at some point to focus on pitching, he'll get stuck not being able to hit at all.

No idea what you are saying in here. So you can only keep your pitching and hitting mechanics if you are doing them on the same day? Lol. Scioscia is resting him day before and after he pitches.

If anything, the only problem with this DH and then pitching is that its really tough to get into rhythm not seeing pitches every day...Which makes an NL pitcher hitting once every 5 days extremely difficult.

And here is how he has answered that question: "As for how he managed to develop timing at the plate without hitting in games, Ohtani said, "The games in which I pitch are part of my sense of rhythm. It's not something I just started." "

Which begs the question regarding your post: did you just make all that s**t up?
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Apr 4, 2018 at 9:31 AM ]
No idea what you are saying in here. So you can only keep your pitching and hitting mechanics if you are doing them on the same day? Lol. Scioscia is resting him day before and after he pitches.

If anything, the only problem with this DH and then pitching is that its really tough to get into rhythm not seeing pitches every day...Which makes an NL pitcher hitting once every 5 days extremely difficult.

And here is how he has answered that question: "As for how he managed to develop timing at the plate without hitting in games, Ohtani said, "The games in which I pitch are part of my sense of rhythm. It's not something I just started." "

Which begs the question regarding your post: did you just make all that s**t up?

If you pull your head out of the sand, youll notice that a lot of people around the game are questioning his long term hitting ability. His routine in Japan has nothing to do with his current situation. Hes facing MLB pitching now. He got completely owned in Spring Training as a hitter. 4 for 32 with 10 K's. One HR in early April doesn't mean anything.

When did I say he had to do them on the same day? Sounds like you didn't read my post fully.

Hitters work full time to keep their swing mechanics sharp. Pitchers work full time to keep their pitching mechanics sharp. You cant work full time with either if you're doing both. Ultimately his true potential is as a SP, which will eventually end up making the most sense for him to go full time with. And im definitely not the only person who feels this way.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Apr 4, 2018 at 10:01 AM ]

If you pull your head out of the sand, youll notice that a lot of people around the game are questioning his long term hitting ability. His routine in Japan has nothing to do with his current situation. Hes facing MLB pitching now. He got completely owned in Spring Training as a hitter. One HR in early April doesn't mean anything.

When did I say he had to do them on the same day? Sounds like you didn't read my post fully.

Hitters work full time to keep their swing mechanics sharp. Pitchers work full time to keep their pitching mechanics sharp. You cant work full time with either if you're doing both. Ultimately his true potential is as a SP, which will eventually end up making the most sense for him to go full time with. And im definitely not the only person who feels this way.

Sounded like you thought he'd be better of in NL so he can hit just 1 day a week, sorry if I didn't read that correctly.

You are basing his potential off 1 spring training, at age 23, first time ever facing MLB caliber pitching? That's good stuff right there.

He hits the ball further than anyone on our team in BP, at 23. So his mechanics seem to be alright. His focus will be at SP...But the entire frenzy and hooplah around the guy is his swing is so natural, he doesn't need to focus on hitting every day to be an above average hitter in the bigs. Thats the whole point...
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Apr 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM ]

Sounded like you thought he'd be better of in NL so he can hit just 1 day a week, sorry if I didn't read that correctly.

You are basing his potential off 1 spring training, at age 23, first time ever facing MLB caliber pitching? That's good stuff right there.

He hits the ball further than anyone on our team in BP, at 23. So his mechanics seem to be alright. His focus will be at SP...But the entire frenzy and hooplah around the guy is his swing is so natural, he doesn't need to focus on hitting every day to be an above average hitter in the bigs. Thats the whole point...

I said ultimately he probably should've chosen an NL team, because I don't believe he possesses the ability to hit Major League pitching on a regular basis while also being a starting pitcher. If he was in the NL, in a couple years when he likely is forced to focus only on pitching, he would still get to hit on the days he pitches. Unless the Angels want to forego the DH on his starts, he wont be hitting at all after he becomes a full time SP.

Im basing the fact that he looked totally overmatched in Spring Training as a hitter as a tell that maybe he was feasting off mediocre Japanese pitching, and in the Major Leagues he wont nearly be the threat people thought.

The fact that you used BP as a point just shows your ignorance on the subject. BP means nothing. Nobody is throwing you wipeout sliders in BP. Bumgarner hits HR's in BP that rival Giancarlo Stanton's power, but thats with someone tossing him meatballs.

Barry Bonds had to focus on his swing everyday. So did Ted Williams. So did Joe DiMaggio. Hitters of any caliber have to constantly keep their swing from getting out of whack. Saying he doesn't really have to work on it because hes so naturally gifted is a ridiculous statement.

Maintaining a good swing, and maintaining good pitching mechanics are both full time jobs. You cant focus enough on either one if you're juggling both, which is why he will eventually abandon being an everyday DH to just focus on pitching. He will just need to realize that his hitting isn't helping the team first.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Apr 4, 2018 at 2:00 PM ]
he's not the first pitcher to do this, and he won't be last. it's possible he's just that talented in both areas, that's not out of the realm of possibilities. i don't think he'll ever be a great hitter, but he can be a good hitter and better than a lot of other every day players.

and if you have an arm, you have an arm. he doesn't need to "practice" throwing constantly. Colon does just fine showing up once a week and throwing a beisbol. im more worried about him getting hit in his pitching arm and than having to spend extra time working on both.
damn Ohtani got lucky hitting ML pitching again. beisbol is hard how can this be?!!!?!?
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Apr 4, 2018 at 2:54 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran

If you pull your head out of the sand, youll notice that a lot of people around the game are questioning his long term hitting ability. His routine in Japan has nothing to do with his current situation. Hes facing MLB pitching now. He got completely owned in Spring Training as a hitter. One HR in early April doesn't mean anything.

Keep in mind this is coming from a dude who said "Spring Training didn't matter." Yet here he is projecting an entire career off of Ohtani's first spring. lol.

Ohtani with another donger.
[ Edited by Garce on Apr 4, 2018 at 7:44 PM ]
2 HRs and a win, IIANM. Has that ever been done before in the modern era?
Share 49ersWebzone