There are 125 users in the forums

****CA Angels of CA Thread****

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
CJ Cron traded to the Rays for player to be named 🤔


I know he wasn't all that but with pujols pretty much done at 1st I thought they would keep this guy around.
Ohtani pitching right now!!!

Originally posted by 49erWill:
Ohtani pitching right now!!!


POTD
Originally posted by Niners99:

Mean
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,947
It was a good outing for his first ST. Results matter 0 in early ST. Scouting report on Fangraphs said he touched 97, had a plus to plus-plus splitter and showed a slider at 88-89 mph and a curve at 70.

To show all that in his first 31 pitches is crazy. 97 now means 100 when his strength is built up and the weather warms. Pitchers generally gain 2-4 mph throughout ST.

So he'll likely be able to hit 100, he has a true out pitch in the splitter and two breaking pitches to keep the hitter guessing.
[ Edited by DaBum on Feb 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM ]
Originally posted by DaBum:
It was a good outing for his first ST. Results matter 0 in early ST. Scouting report on Fangraphs said he touched 97, had a plus to plus-plus splitter and showed a slider at 88-89 mph and a curve at 70.

To show all that in his first 31 pitches is crazy. 97 now means 100 when his strength is built up and the weather warms. Pitchers generally gain 2-4 mph throughout ST.

So he'll likely be able to hit 100, he has a true out pitch in the splitter and two breaking pitches to keep the hitter guessing.

Hitting 100 consistently is for relief pitchers, who can afford to put full effort into each pitch in their short outings. Starters have to pace themselves, and even with 100 mph capabilities, they usually sit at 95-96, and are too tired to ramp up to 100 late in the outing when they need to blow someone away.

Ubaldo Jimenez is a great example of what happens when a starter decides to go all-out with velocity. In 2010 he was throwing 99 all year, and he burned himself out.

The truly elite starters can pace it so they build on velocity through the outing, but that would be an unrealistic expectation for Ohtani.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,947
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DaBum:
It was a good outing for his first ST. Results matter 0 in early ST. Scouting report on Fangraphs said he touched 97, had a plus to plus-plus splitter and showed a slider at 88-89 mph and a curve at 70.

To show all that in his first 31 pitches is crazy. 97 now means 100 when his strength is built up and the weather warms. Pitchers generally gain 2-4 mph throughout ST.

So he'll likely be able to hit 100, he has a true out pitch in the splitter and two breaking pitches to keep the hitter guessing.

Hitting 100 consistently is for relief pitchers, who can afford to put full effort into each pitch in their short outings. Starters have to pace themselves, and even with 100 mph capabilities, they usually sit at 95-96, and are too tired to ramp up to 100 late in the outing when they need to blow someone away.

Ubaldo Jimenez is a great example of what happens when a starter decides to go all-out with velocity. In 2010 he was throwing 99 all year, and he burned himself out.

The truly elite starters can pace it so they build on velocity through the outing, but that would be an unrealistic expectation for Ohtani.

There are exceptions, and by all scouting reports, Ohtani is one of them.

Verlander hit 100 many times including as late as the 8th inning. His average sat at 96 early in his career. He was known for dialing it up once runners were on.
Originally posted by DaBum:
There are exceptions, and by all scouting reports, Ohtani is one of them.

Verlander hit 100 many times including as late as the 8th inning. His average sat at 96 early in his career. He was known for dialing it up once runners were on.

There are no scouting reports for Ohtani against Major League hitters. The point is, he won't be throwing 99-100 very often.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,947
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DaBum:
There are exceptions, and by all scouting reports, Ohtani is one of them.

Verlander hit 100 many times including as late as the 8th inning. His average sat at 96 early in his career. He was known for dialing it up once runners were on.

There are no scouting reports for Ohtani against Major League hitters. The point is, he won't be throwing 99-100 very often.

Who you are facing doesn't change a velocity scouting report.

And of course he won't hit 100 often. That wasn't your point when you chimed in that starters don't hit 100. Few can but those who can do hit 100 when they need to. That was my point. He has 100 mph in his arsenal. Thanks for agreeing.

Ohtani batting 2nd today DH!!!
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Ohtani batting 2nd today DH!!!

so is the plan for him to DH when he's not pitching?
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Ohtani batting 2nd today DH!!!

so is the plan for him to DH when he's not pitching?

Yep.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Ohtani batting 2nd today DH!!!

so is the plan for him to DH when he's not pitching?

Yep.

thats pretty cool hopefully it works
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Ohtani batting 2nd today DH!!!

so is the plan for him to DH when he's not pitching?

Yep.

thats pretty cool hopefully it works

Got a hit, RBI
Share 49erswebzone