There are 252 users in the forums

****CA Angels of CA Thread FYG****

Injuries already taking a toll on the pitching staff. Damn.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
So Ohtani hits homeruns in 3 straight games and then strikes out 12 guys in 7 innings with a perfecto into the 7th.

I would say he is pretty legit.

No but he had a bad spring training, might as well cut him. Right 99?

When did I ever say ANYTHING like that? Gotta love people who dont comprehend anything they read. All I said was that I dont think hes going to be able to hit effectively enough long term to justify doing both. He's going to be a great pitcher, probably on the same level of Yu Darvish. I just dont see him having the time to keep his swing AND his pitching mechanics sound simultaneously.

I have Ohtani on my fantasy team. Stop lumping me in with people who think hes a bust just because I wont get hyped about his multi threat potential.

Hes hitting right now, but over time the league will find the holes in his swing and force him to adjust. The big question is will he be able to make those adjustments? It's going to be REALLY hard to keep up with that while also preparing how to get Major League lineups out for 6+ innings.
Originally posted by Niners99:

When did I ever say ANYTHING like that? Gotta love people who dont comprehend anything they read. All I said was that I dont think hes going to be able to hit effectively enough long term to justify doing both. He's going to be a great pitcher, probably on the same level of Yu Darvish. I just dont see him having the time to keep his swing AND his pitching mechanics sound simultaneously.

I have Ohtani on my fantasy team. Stop lumping me in with people who think hes a bust just because I wont get hyped about his multi threat potential.

Hes hitting right now, but over time the league will find the holes in his swing and force him to adjust. The big question is will he be able to make those adjustments? It's going to be REALLY hard to keep up with that while also preparing how to get Major League lineups out for 6+ innings.

I comprehended what you read just fine. You were pointing to his first spring training at age 24 as a reason he won't be a good hitter....which is what I am still referring to. And you said once he goes up against real MLB pitching he won't be able to hang...then he hit a dinger off Corey Kluber and 3 home runs in his first 3 home games and you went dark...
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Apr 10, 2018 at 9:19 AM ]

I comprehended what you read just fine. You were pointing to his first spring training at age 24 as a reason he won't be a good hitter....which is what I am still referring to. And you said once he goes up against real MLB pitching he won't be able to hang...then he hit a dinger off Corey Kluber and 3 home runs in his first 3 home games and you went dark...

I didnt 'go dark'. I just dont post regularly in the Angels thread. Stop reaching to try and paint me as an Ohtani hater. I said his struggles in the spring, which was his first look at Major League pitching, COULD indicate that an entire different class of pitching than hes ever faced might present an issue.

Hes off to a great start, but its only been 18 AB's. Chill out. The real indicator will be how he adjusts to the league once they figure out how to pitch him. Until then, you can brag all you want about homering off Kluber, but it's not indicative of anything.

Youre like the Angels version of Garce. You're all hyped up over a few games, looking to take swings at anyone who isn't calling Ohtani a great hitter, because they're just "a hater".

I tempered expectations that he'd become the first great 2 way player since Babe Ruth. Its not that outrageous of a POV.

And im not even saying that he cant hit. Im saying he will likely, IMO, need to drop one eventually in order to reach his potential in the other. Because his ceiling is higher as a pitcher, I think he drops hitting at some point, but only after HE realizes its in his best interest. Thats all ive ever predicted.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Apr 10, 2018 at 12:49 PM ]
I would bet a lot of money that Ohtani doesnt drop hitting in a couple of years. The AL is perfect for him because he can DH a couple of times per week and it shouldnt have any affect on his ability to pitch every 5th day. Very little chance a guy that can hit with the kind of power he can totally abandons hitting.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I didn't know we had so many cycling enthusiasts here.

Originally posted by Garce:
I didn't know we had so many cycling enthusiasts here.

Who are you suggesting is back pedaling? And were you aware that Dynasty Chile is the Angels version of you? Who knew?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I said his struggles in the spring, which was his first look at Major League pitching, COULD indicate that an entire different class of pitching than hes ever faced might present an issue.

Thats all ive ever predicted.

Ohtani looked totally overmatched in ST in his first experience facing ML quality pitching. I suggested that maybe his bat wouldn't translate against the best pitchers in the world. Even if he can hang as a ML hitter, hes not going to be able to be productive doing both over the long haul.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Injuries already taking a toll on the pitching staff. Damn.

Pm rubber for that.

Ohtani 0-1 tonight.

Scrub.

I didnt 'go dark'. I just dont post regularly in the Angels thread. Stop reaching to try and paint me as an Ohtani hater. I said his struggles in the spring, which was his first look at Major League pitching, COULD indicate that an entire different class of pitching than hes ever faced might present an issue.

Hes off to a great start, but its only been 18 AB's. Chill out. The real indicator will be how he adjusts to the league once they figure out how to pitch him. Until then, you can brag all you want about homering off Kluber, but it's not indicative of anything.

Youre like the Angels version of Garce. You're all hyped up over a few games, looking to take swings at anyone who isn't calling Ohtani a great hitter, because they're just "a hater".

I tempered expectations that he'd become the first great 2 way player since Babe Ruth. Its not that outrageous of a POV.

And im not even saying that he cant hit. Im saying he will likely, IMO, need to drop one eventually in order to reach his potential in the other. Because his ceiling is higher as a pitcher, I think he drops hitting at some point, but only after HE realizes its in his best interest. Thats all ive ever predicted.

No, I am not all hyped up. Im just calling you out for pointing to a spring training at age 24 as a predictor of future success. That's all. But that says all I need to know about your baseball knowledge, so I won't be taking much you say seriously anymore. Thx!
I said his struggles in the spring, which was his first look at Major League pitching, COULD indicate that an entire different class of pitching than hes ever faced might present an issue.

Ohtani looked totally overmatched in ST in his first experience facing ML quality pitching. I suggested that maybe his bat wouldn't translate against the best pitchers in the world. Even if he can hang as a ML hitter, hes not going to be able to be productive doing both over the long haul.

Guy is in denial. Maybe he doesn't like Japanese culture?
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Ohtani 0-1 tonight.

Scrub.

This. They figured him out. Back to Japan!

Guy is in denial. Maybe he doesn't like Japanese culture?

i just don't understand why he thinks he can't do both. as a pitcher, you probably throw a bullpen session once or maybe twice at most during the week. he has more than enough time to take BP sessions and work on his swing. as long as he puts in the time to do both and continues to work hard, there's no reason why he can't do both and do it well.

pitchers just don't have that much to do between their starts, it's mainly cardio, watching film, and a throwing a 30-40 pitch bullpen sessions 2 days before their start. i think Niners99 is under the impression that they are throwing daily and watching hours and hours of film, which is not even close. he can easily do both if he puts in the time.
Share 49ersWebzone