There are 230 users in the forums

The 2023-24 All In to Win Phoenix Suns Thread

Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Yea, you don't watch Lonzo play. A ball dominant, anything for that matter but esp guard has to be able to create his own shot, or shoot off the dribble. Lonzo looks like a retard anything midrange, or pulling up off dribble. His ONLY O game is going to the rim (which comes from screens or off ball movement), or spotting up for 3 where his terrible shooting form is somewhat diminished. He shot .329 from 3 last year, and those are majority off spot up. FYI Booker shot .326 from 3 last year. I am not saying Ball is anything even in the same stratosphere as Devin, just that he gets a worse rap bc his shot is so ugly esp off dribble than what his percentage is. The only way to mask Lonzo's deficiencies is to have someone be that ball dominant guy, which is why DeAngelo Russell trade was in hindsight really bad for us.

IMO a ball dominant guard doesn't mean Russell Westbrook. Steve Nash was a ball dominant guard.
He wasn't a huge scorer but taking the ball out of his hands basically made him Steve Kerr.

To me its a guy best suited to have the basketball in his hands consistently. If the ball isn't in Lonzo's hands to run an offense and make some flashy throws then he's just a subpar shooting guard that shouldn't be a starter. You take the ball out of his hands, you take away the vast majority of what makes him special.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Yea, you don't watch Lonzo play. A ball dominant, anything for that matter but esp guard has to be able to create his own shot, or shoot off the dribble. Lonzo looks like a retard anything midrange, or pulling up off dribble. His ONLY O game is going to the rim (which comes from screens or off ball movement), or spotting up for 3 where his terrible shooting form is somewhat diminished. He shot .329 from 3 last year, and those are majority off spot up. FYI Booker shot .326 from 3 last year. I am not saying Ball is anything even in the same stratosphere as Devin, just that he gets a worse rap bc his shot is so ugly esp off dribble than what his percentage is. The only way to mask Lonzo's deficiencies is to have someone be that ball dominant guy, which is why DeAngelo Russell trade was in hindsight really bad for us.

IMO a ball dominant guard doesn't mean Russell Westbrook. Steve Nash was a ball dominant guard.
He wasn't a huge scorer but taking the ball out of his hands basically made him Steve Kerr.

To me its a guy best suited to have the basketball in his hands consistently. If the ball isn't in Lonzo's hands to run an offense and make some flashy throws then he's just a subpar shooting guard that shouldn't be a starter. You take the ball out of his hands, you take away the vast majority of what makes him special.

You are getting caught up in the PG SG whatever. In today's NBA, you need a guy that can set up other players initiate offense, and you need a guy that can shoot and create his own shot. Both can have the ball a lot. DG can score. I understand what you are saying, but Lonzo w ball in his hands is great on fastbreak, and making decisions within flow of offense. not as much halfcourt.

I want DG, you guys can't have him is what it comes down to lol
I liked what Monty has to say at his Presser, and he seems to have a commanding presence, so this seems like a good start.
The Kings acquired Rashuan Holmes... I am super pumped about this kid. He impressed against the Kings a few times last year. Seems like an all energy, all the time guy (opposite of Cauley-Stein).

Can you guys provide some insight? Did you like this kid? What else does he do well besides hustle all game?
Originally posted by sacniner:
The Kings acquired Rashuan Holmes... I am super pumped about this kid. He impressed against the Kings a few times last year. Seems like an all energy, all the time guy (opposite of Cauley-Stein).

Can you guys provide some insight? Did you like this kid? What else does he do well besides hustle all game?

Yeah, he's a baller with a nonstop motor. Great hustle. Suns FO is so f**king stupid!

That is pretty much it. Dude hustles, fights for rebounds, makes the high effort plays, has some decent range, great locker room guy.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Yeah, he's a baller with a nonstop motor. Great hustle. Suns FO is so f**king stupid!

Keeping him was kind of redundant with Baynes on board.

I was wondering why the let him go... seems like a great backup behind Ayton
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

That is pretty much it. Dude hustles, fights for rebounds, makes the high effort plays, has some decent range, great locker room guy.

Thanks... that is the role we need from him in Sacramento...
Y'all need a thread name change. It's not Suns, it's Sans.

[ Edited by JustinMT on Jul 8, 2019 at 10:18 PM ]

I was wondering why the let him go... seems like a great backup behind Ayton

The Suns cant get anything right so Holmes will probably end up having a decent year. He'll undoubtedly make the Suns look stupid for replacing him with a more expensive Baynes. Everyone makes the Suns look stupid so that's not saying much though unfortunately.
Originally posted by walker807:
The Suns cant get anything right so Holmes will probably end up having a decent year. He'll undoubtedly make the Suns look stupid for replacing him with a more expensive Baynes. Everyone makes the Suns look stupid so that's not saying much though unfortunately.

I don't have any issue with the addition of Baynes. Jones hinted that an issue with Holmes was that he was going easy on Ayton in practice since they were buddies. Ayton needs someone that will be on his ass constantly, pushing him, pressuring, have him be less f**king soft. If they can accomplish that by bringing in a veteran bulldog like Baynes, I am down.
Jalen Lecque has been a huge surprise. Raw HS to NBA player that sat out a year, was expected to be a mid 2nd rounder but went undrafted. Its only Summer League but this kid has been ballin.

Ayton on his offseason conditioning:
"I've never worked so hard before in the gym in my life. I've seen these lines so many times it's just, I see them in my regular life now. They beat me to the ground this summer."

On working on his post moves with Mark Bryant this summer:
"He added more to my footwork, added more moves and taught me how to really bang certain smaller bigs and how to use my speed against the bigger guys"

His first impressions playing with Rubio:
"I think he (was) trying to set the tone like, 'Yeah you about to get these passes for the rest of your career.' He would look at the dude in the corner but he's whipping it to me the whole time. I was fumbling a little bit. I had to adjust. 'OK, this is what everybody was talking about.'

"He put us in great spots. He sees every option. Playing against him today, I try to put a little pressure on him to see if he could really… 'I'm under pressure with a big guy on me,' Yeah, he whipped a pass through, [Ayton gives sound effect of the ball whizzing by his head].

"His IQ is pretty high. Just being around that, (he) just wants you to learn more from the game. Because there's so much I can learn."
Ayton on his offseason conditioning:
"I've never worked so hard before in the gym in my life. I've seen these lines so many times it's just, I see them in my regular life now. They beat me to the ground this summer."

On working on his post moves with Mark Bryant this summer:
"He added more to my footwork, added more moves and taught me how to really bang certain smaller bigs and how to use my speed against the bigger guys"

His first impressions playing with Rubio:
"I think he (was) trying to set the tone like, 'Yeah you about to get these passes for the rest of your career.' He would look at the dude in the corner but he's whipping it to me the whole time. I was fumbling a little bit. I had to adjust. 'OK, this is what everybody was talking about.'

"He put us in great spots. He sees every option. Playing against him today, I try to put a little pressure on him to see if he could really… 'I'm under pressure with a big guy on me,' Yeah, he whipped a pass through, [Ayton gives sound effect of the ball whizzing by his head].

"His IQ is pretty high. Just being around that, (he) just wants you to learn more from the game. Because there's so much I can learn."

Dude needs to get his head right and cool it with the "I dunno, maybe I want to be a power forward?" crap. How about actually trying on defense at center first?
Share 49ersWebzone