LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

***2024 MLB Regular Season Thread***

Originally posted by JustinMT:
The MLB is such a joke when it comes to marketing it's product.

Also true. And it hurts the game. Market these guys as stars so the young kids will want to play.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Also true. And it hurts the game. Market these guys as stars so the young kids will want to play.

Baseball just isn't as marketable as the NFL or NBA. It doesn't have the high flying, fast pace of the NBA, and it doesn't have the violence or appointment viewing element of the NFL. Its biggest selling point is being an American throwback experience.

Im not really sure how they're supposed to make it more popular without jeopardizing the integrity of the game. The only solutions they can ever come up with are "let the players showboat" and "speed up the pace of the game". As if people would be more interested in baseball if the game was 20 minutes shorter and the player danced down the 1B line after a HR.

It doesn't help that the biggest star in the sport has no interest in being in the spotlight. People always rag on MLB for not "marketing" their best players, but what does that even mean? MLB social media tries so hard its cringey. The game is what it is. Its not a casual fan type of sport. Its a hardcore fan sport that takes on bandwagon fans when the teams are good.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Baseball just isn't as marketable as the NFL or NBA. It doesn't have the high flying, fast pace of the NBA, and it doesn't have the violence or appointment viewing element of the NFL. Its biggest selling point is being an American throwback experience.

Im not really sure how they're supposed to make it more popular without jeopardizing the integrity of the game. The only solutions they can ever come up with are "let the players showboat" and "speed up the pace of the game". As if people would be more interested in baseball if the game was 20 minutes shorter and the player danced down the 1B line after a HR.

It doesn't help that the biggest star in the sport has no interest in being in the spotlight. People always rag on MLB for not "marketing" their best players, but what does that even mean? MLB social media tries so hard its cringey. The game is what it is. Its not a casual fan type of sport. Its a hardcore fan sport that takes on bandwagon fans when the teams are good.

It's not because players don't want to be in spotlight, it's because thats how they are taught. Baseball is treated like a military institution at times, especially when it comes to "behaving" yourself. NFL went through a bit of that a couple years ago and they loosened up on the having a personality rule.

As an angels fan, I don't know how many Trout interviews i've heard where he talks about playing the game the right way and not showboating. And that's just dumb. it's a game, they are not politicians. But that's how they are taught from a young age basically. We are watching a game, let the player entertain us, it's not hard. Who cares if someone wants to do a bat flip after a HR.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
It's not because players don't want to be in spotlight, it's because thats how they are taught. Baseball is treated like a military institution at times, especially when it comes to "behaving" yourself. NFL went through a bit of that a couple years ago and they loosened up on the having a personality rule.

As an angels fan, I don't know how many Trout interviews i've heard where he talks about playing the game the right way and not showboating. And that's just dumb. it's a game, they are not politicians. But that's how they are taught from a young age basically. We are watching a game, let the player entertain us, it's not hard. Who cares if someone wants to do a bat flip after a HR.

lol how dare these players' parents teach them class and sportsmanship!

Showboating adds nothing of value to the sport. The entertainment should come from the plays they make, not the celebrations that follow.

Mike Trout is not a flashy, attention whore type person. Its not like he's suppressing his inner desire and show up the other team either. He doesn't want to be the LeBron James of baseball and be in a constant media spotlight.

They aren't politicians, but they are role models for kids.

I think its universally agreed upon that nobody likes a cocky douche, so im not sure why it should be encouraged on the field.

Showboating adds nothing of value to the sport. The entertainment should come from the plays they make, not the celebrations that follow.

Mike Trout is not a flashy, attention whore type person. Its not like he's suppressing his inner desire and show up the other team either. He doesn't want to be the LeBron James of baseball and be in a constant media spotlight.

I think its universally agreed upon that nobody likes a cocky douche, so im not sure why it should be encouraged on the field.

I get if you dont like, but it doesn't matter that much what you like. You aren't the future demographic that sport leagues advertise for. And MLB is failing on that level.

The get off my lawn guy loves that MLB has no personality, but thats not the case for teens and younger people, who will be their main demo 10, 20, 30, 40, 50...years from now. We will be dead but baseball im assuming still has plans for sticking around. But if the younger generation isn't watching as much, they are gonna watch when they get older?

MLB is living in the past and they still seem to think that being americas past time is gonna save them. They need to treat their game like a game, and not a military instution.

Universally agreed upon by the older enerations that cocky dbags suck, but this generation loves the OBJs of the sports world.

Harper got an extra 100 mil bc of his personality and ability to sell jerseys, noy bc hes so good. If Trout had his personality he would be a 500+ mil player on the open market.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Feb 15, 2020 at 3:49 PM ]

I get if you dont like, but it doesn't matter that much what you like. You aren't the future demographic that sport leagues advertise for. And MLB is failing on that level.

The get off my lawn guy loves that MLB has no personality, but thats not the case for teens and younger people, who will be their main demo 10, 20, 30, 40, 50...years from now. We will be dead but baseball im assuming still has plans for sticking around. But if the younger generation isn't watching as much, they are gonna watch when they get older?

MLB is living in the past and they still seem to think that being americas past time is gonna save them. They need to treat their game like a game, and not a military instution.

Universally agreed upon by the older enerations that cocky dbags suck, but this generation loves the OBJs of the sports world.

Harper got an extra 100 mil bc of his personality and ability to sell jerseys, noy bc hes so good. If Trout had his personality he would be a 500+ mil player on the open market.
I agree completely
I feel like either you like baseball, or you hate it; there really is no in-between. Some people just can't sit there and watch a game because it's too slow paced most of the time. I don't think allowing players to showboat during the game is going to recruit new fans and change people's minds that previously didn't like baseball. If a kid is going to like baseball, he will figure it out on his own. That's how it happened for me. Started off playing, but hated watching on tv. Then one day when I was like 12 or 13 I actually watched a whole game on tv and realized I loved it and have been a diehard ever since.

So you're saying the future demographic are mostly people who have short attention spans and only follow casually? Because if thats who they are catering to, the sport is doomed.

Its not being a "get off my lawn" guy to not need showboating to get your entertainment fix. Most actual baseball fans would say that bat flips don't make the game more entertaining, they just increase the odds of a brawl, which is why they seem more exciting.

Baseball doesn't treat their game like a military institution. Dont be dramatic. Theres just a general code of conduct that has been followed for 150 years. Its a tradition, not a mandate, and its policed by the players, not the league.

Society in general doesn't like cocky douchebags. Its not generational. How is that going for OBJ btw?

Trout would easily have gotten 500 mil as a free agent.

So you're saying the future demographic are mostly people who have short attention spans and only follow casually? Because if thats who they are catering to, the sport is doomed.

Its not being a "get off my lawn" guy to not need showboating to get your entertainment fix. Most actual baseball fans would say that bat flips don't make the game more entertaining, they just increase the odds of a brawl, which is why they seem more exciting.

Baseball doesn't treat their game like a military institution. Dont be dramatic. Theres just a general code of conduct that has been followed for 150 years. Its a tradition, not a mandate, and its policed by the players, not the league.

Society in general doesn't like cocky douchebags. Its not generational. How is that going for OBJ btw?

Society already has short attention spans and it's only gonna get worse in coming years. The game needs to change along with it or it'll be left in the dust. More and more kids in coming years will be picking soccer, basketball and football over ever playing baseball.

And you say people don't like cocky douche bags yet OBJ has 14 million Instagram followers and 4 million twitter followers while Trout has 1.7 million Instagram followers and 2 million twitter followers. You just seem really out of touch man. You may not like the idea of change but it's inevitable if this sport wants to survive.

Society already has short attention spans and it's only gonna get worse in coming years. The game needs to change along with it or it'll be left in the dust. More and more kids in coming years will be picking soccer, basketball and football over ever playing baseball.

And you say people don't like cocky douche bags yet OBJ has 14 million Instagram followers and 4 million twitter followers while Trout has 1.7 million Instagram followers and 2 million twitter followers. You just seem really out of touch man. You may not like the idea of change but it's inevitable if this sport wants to survive.

Yup, whether we like it or not the game is gonna have to change. And it already is changing and im sure theres more to come.

The NBA is so boring. f**k that. They just market it very well. Trout robbing a Homer is just as exciting as a dunk. Baseball is about the team, not the individual. Kids ain't about that lyfe
The NBA is so boring. f**k that. They just market it very well. Trout robbing a Homer is just as exciting as a dunk. Baseball is about the team, not the individual. Kids ain't about that lyfe

An OF actually bringing a HR back happens like once a month. Dunks happen all the time. But you're right, baseball is a team sport, so marketing individuals is hard. Trout hits 4 times a game. Kids now ultimately just don't have the attention span to care about a player for 162 games.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Dylan Carlson and Nolan Gorman a combined 3-3

Feels Good Man

Chris Davis starting to find his swing again
Is this Heaven? It's Iowa.
Share 49ersWebzone