LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

Ronda Rousey vs Floyd Mayweather in an MMA fight

Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by jrg:
ive never seen so many people this happy because she lost. she must've been making you guys very salty.

+1

And the fact that so many people have been hanging on Ronda's nuts proclaiming her to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

who said that? honestly. who the f**k ever said Ronday is the greatest fighter or the greatest thing since slice bread, like you put it...

Lol. Uh she has as have the head honchos at the UFC, Rogan etc
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Nov 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:
Originally posted by Niners99:
So now everyone can shut up about her. She lost. Shes no longer newsworthy.

Meh she still fine plus white people get second chances

The ONLY reason anyone GAF about her was because she was seemingly unbeatable. Now that people know shes human, its back to WNBA status.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

The ONLY reason anyone GAF about her was because she was seemingly unbeatable. Now that people know shes human, its back to WNBA status.

Seriously doubt that. The media is obsessed with her. I've already heard more about her than Holly since last night.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Lol. Uh she has as have the head honchos at the UFC, Rogan etc

That's just for show as was the weigh in drama and the Floyd name dropping.. Its just to get media attention and draw in more viewers with the hype.. Its been done before Muhammad Ali as an example..
Rousey disrespected holm, when holm tried to handshake and rousey dissed her, rousey deserved what she got after opening her big mouth, overconfidence, only cassius clay has the right to boast.

HOLM YOU THE MAN!
[ Edited by suchislife on Nov 15, 2015 at 8:41 PM ]

Seriously doubt that. The media is obsessed with her. I've already heard more about her than Holly since last night.

The media was obsessed with her because she was unbeatable. Now shes been KO'd. The press from this will die down over the next couple weeks, and the allure of her story will fade. Womens sports need a narrative to get media attention. Rousey being unstoppable was that narrative. Now shes just a really good female MMA fighter.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
ive never seen so many people this happy because she lost. she must've been making you guys very salty.

+1

And the fact that so many people have been hanging on Ronda's nuts proclaiming her to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

who said that? honestly. who the f**k ever said Ronday is the greatest fighter or the greatest thing since slice bread, like you put it...

I think she said..

+2
  • jrg
  • Veteran

The media was obsessed with her because she was unbeatable. Now shes been KO'd. The press from this will die down over the next couple weeks, and the allure of her story will fade. Womens sports need a narrative to get media attention. Rousey being unstoppable was that narrative. Now shes just a really good female MMA fighter.

I disagree. She already has the UFC 2 cover locked up and is really the first female UFC fighter that would draw this much response from the media. She lost, sure, but I just have a feeling we're going to hear every move she makes. Just today alone I noticed numerous media outlets posting her comments following the fight and how she "will be back". So imagine the day she begins training for her next fight. She also has spread out more than just UFC. She did the SI Swimsuit, was at WWE Wrestlemania and is confirmed to be back again. Just feel like she is more than the WNBA you compared her to.

I disagree. She already has the UFC 2 cover locked up and is really the first female UFC fighter that would draw this much response from the media. She lost, sure, but I just have a feeling we're going to hear every move she makes. Just today alone I noticed numerous media outlets posting her comments following the fight and how she "will be back". So imagine the day she begins training for her next fight. She also has spread out more than just UFC. She did the SI Swimsuit, was at WWE Wrestlemania and is confirmed to be back again. Just feel like she is more than the WNBA you compared her to.

Maybe she isnt WNBA obscure, but the buzz around her was directly related to the narrative that she couldn't be beaten. Heck, this thread was about what would happen if she fought Floyd Mayweather. There was a mystique. Reality has set in.

This fight is going to cost her a big part of her image. Before, she was Mike Tyson scary. Now theres just that image of her taking a mortal combat fatality blow to the head. Im sure people will be curious to see how she bounces back, but shes no longer a phenomenon.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Maybe she isnt WNBA obscure, but the buzz around her was directly related to the narrative that she couldn't be beaten. Heck, this thread was about what would happen if she fought Floyd Mayweather. There was a mystique. Reality has set in.

This fight is going to cost her a big part of her image. Before, she was Mike Tyson scary. Now theres just that image of her taking a mortal combat fatality blow to the head. Im sure people will be curious to see how she bounces back, but shes no longer a phenomenon.

Agreed. I still think she has the potential to be a top female UFC fighter, but she definitely isn't the phenomenon as she was before. With that said, due to the superstar status she built over her recent fights, I think she will always be a household name people will talk about. Her NEXT fight will sell a TON of PPVs just to see how she responds. That right there alone explains what her name alone can do.

For anyone who is surprised about Rousey getting all this backlash, wtf did you expect? Yeah, gotta give her props for marketing and really making the most of her opportunity. I mean, her brand was really big. Shocked me actually because I didn't expect the general public to get so involved in women fighting. I don't care if that sounds sexist, its just the truth. I assumed she was SO dominant and no woman was really on her level so it wasn't a big deal. But damn was I wrong. People were really emotionally invested in her and her losing especially. So, she made people care about women's MMA which by itself is amazing. Her crossover to pop culture was crazy also.

But damn, did she get cocky when it came to her craft. Like most of us, she assumed there wasn't any competition. I'm no expert, but on her feet she looked like s**t. Shocking that this didn't get exposed earlier. After reading about Holm and finding out she was a boxer and the feet game is her comfort zone, with RR being the opposite, its complete lack of respect and cockiness for RR to try and trade punches. Like others have said, not shaking the hand. Her b******t post on IG and twitter. Yeah, this is what happens. You talk s**t, get your ass whooped and get backlash. If Floyd Mayweather ever loss, holy s**t I think the internet would break.

She got some humble pie. Good. Maybe it'll help her, or she'll get her ass kicked again. Either way, as of now, its nice to see a cocky a*****e get their ass handed to them after talking so much s**t.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Either way, as of now, its nice to see a cocky a*****e get their ass handed to them after talking so much s**t.

• Antix
  • Veteran
Im just happy she lost because of that annoying ass UFC commercial "shes not once in a lifetime..she is a once ever" blah blah blah. Stfu with that noise. She looked like a little kid trying to fight her bigger brother lol.
The fact that THIS many people are happy she lost means she did a great job at marketing herself.
Originally posted by Antix:
Im just happy she lost because of that annoying ass UFC commercial "shes not once in a lifetime..she is a once ever" blah blah blah. Stfu with that noise. She looked like a little kid trying to fight her bigger brother lol.

Hahaha, good comparison there.
Share 49ersWebzone