There are 233 users in the forums

2014 Oakland Athletics Thread

Of course Reddick would stop being s**tty for 5 minutes.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Of course Reddick would stop being s**tty for 5 minutes.

hey he's batting over .200 now
Love what Gentry has brought to the table this season thus far. He's like the exact opposite of CY.
Originally posted by DaDDieO:
Love what Gentry has brought to the table this season thus far. He's like the exact opposite of CY.

One doesn't suck and one does. Spot on.
Oakland, where baseball's go to die...
You know, I conceded this game before it even started with Darvish vs Staily. When we got that 3-1 lead it was a tease. We definitely could have and should have won last night.
Bullpen has been a disappointment so far this season, they choked away a chance to beat Darvish and make him 1-7 vs. A's, and of course missed opportunity to build an early-season lead against probably their stiffest competition in AL West.
I'd say the situational hitting has been a far bigger disappointment. Team is batting just .237 (45/190) with RISP.

And defense. Insane amount of errors so far for this team.
[ Edited by captveg on Apr 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
I'd say the situational hitting has been a far bigger disappointment. Team is batting just .237 (45/190) with RISP.

And defense. Insane amount of errors so far for this team.

No question on the hitting...even though A's don't tear the cover off the ball, they do usually have a knack for clutch hits, last year they were around .270 RISP. They also seem to have a habit of putting up a crooked number early and then bats go cold. And even though bullpen collectively has nice-looking stats and has 6 wins, they've also had 4 losses already. And yes, errors are a problem, last night was first game without one in I'm not even sure how long.

All that said, luckily it hasn't killed the A's yet as they're obviously overcoming these problems, but if they become routine then that's something that can derail a season that's started off so well.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Apr 22, 2014 at 11:56 AM ]
Seriously f**k this team. We have no closer and like 7 or 8 blown saves. We need a real closer. This is a joke.

Like I said, bullpen has a disappointment...it's not like they're getting shelled, and that's why the stats "look" good, but this pen has been unable to hold those 1-run leads. Gregerson perfect example, has great numbers until you get to BS, already his THIRD blown save. And once again, A's get some crooked numbers early, 2 in the 1st and again in 4th, then only 3 hits the rest of the way which included pi****g away 2 on with no outs in the 6th. Is there something in the air or water here in the Bay Area, neither team could hit their way out of a wet paper bag right now.

My Irrational Fan finger is hovering over the Panic Button...Gray has only got to the 7th inning once so far, tomorrow would be a great day for him to have a truly dominant game and go 8 or 9.
Like I said, the bullpen is GASSED. Far too many stress-filled innings early in the season. Of 20 games, only one was truly decided before the 9th inning. There have been only four games decided by more than 3 runs.
[ Edited by captveg on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM ]
Of course Choice plays like an All-Star against us...
You know, I don't think the best solution to RISP hitting and the bullpen holding leads is to not bother to have RISP and leads....
How embarassing, the at-home sweep ends with a 3-hit SHUTOUT.

I know Melvin is a very good mgr, but he is just DEAD WRONG on this whole Moss/Barton thing...Moss is one of the few guys that is somewhat decent with the bat so far, yet he's going to start BARTON over him? The rationale is so that there's a good lefty bat to pinch-hit later on should Rangers bring in a righty...yeah, real brilliant, save Moss for maybe an AB or two, but rob him of the chance to get in a groove at the plate, keep improving at 1B, and instead give 3 or 4 AB's to the joke known as Barton. Plus Gray gets a lot of ground ball outs, and Barton supposedly the better 1B, but that doesn't hold up considering the problems on defense Barton has had....if he's better than Moss, it's marginally and certainly doesn't warrant keeping Moss's bat out of the lineup.
Share 49ersWebzone