2013-14 General NBA Discussion Thread

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
I think rose did the right thing

Look at rgknee now dude sucks lol

RGIII is a bad example. RGIII got hurt in January and came back in September...he wanted to play pre-season in August lol. He is playing in NFL...where you are more likely to get hurt and 300lb linemen are diving at your knees. He still came back. That's admirable. So, he was back in less than 8 months and he may not have looked very good in Sept...but has looked pretty darn good last two weeks. Like I said, you need a few games to figure out how far you can push yourself.

Rose could have easily started playing in March (I say this because he was clearly by the Bulls medical staff in late January) and be ready for playoffs.

Yeah but with the way Rose plays, he was more likely to reinjure that knee with all the cutting and stops on the dime that he always does. Rose coming back last year to play in the playoffs would be a hesitant Rose who is nowhere near as comfortable as the Rose we are seeing today. Sure he was cleared medically, but mentally he wasn't there..and that's just as important..for basketball comparisons last year, Rubio and Shumpert come to mind, and they were clearly not the same player when they came back..Being a huge Bulls fan I was greedy and wanted to see him play last year, but ultimately it was obvious that he shouldn't come back. Only problem was that they left everybody hanging with the possibility of a return, Rose did the right thing

Rubio was fine after 15 games. They brought him along slowly and once he started gettin' 30 plus minutes, he was a better player than the previous years and averaged 13pts and 8 dimes along with 2.5+ steals a game. Yes, Rubio wasn't the same player. He was actually better. He was great in Feb, March, and April.

I never said Rose should have come back in the playoffs. By then, it was too late. He should have come back in late Feb...and played 25 minutes a game. By playoff time, he would have been close to 100% and would have been exactly how he looks right now.

...and Rose wasn't more likely to get hurt than RGIII. RGIII does the same things as Rose as far as stopping and cutting and accelerating. The only difference is, RGIII has 300lb guys aiming for his legs. Rose made the safest decision for his personal finances. That's pretty much it. It's tough to knock down someone for that if they are in the NFL or on a rookie deal in NBA. He's already financially secure...he should have made a basketball decision.

Oh well, I'm glad he's back. NBA is so much more exciting when the best players are on the court.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Harden voted best SG by GM Survey. (Dont get why Curry, and Durant are on here, Steph is a PG, and Durant a SF)

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24122130/gm-survey-james-harden-is-the-best-shooting-guard-not-kobe

Who is the best shooting guard in the NBA?

1. James Harden, Houston -- 56.7%

2. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers -- 20.0%

3. Stephen Curry, Golden State; Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City; Paul George, Indiana -- 6.7%

6. Dwyane Wade, Miami -- 3.3%

Last year: Kobe Bryant -- 66.7%

I do think Harden is the best SG entering this season. Kobe is injured and Wade is injury prone. Not sure it's even close when those guys are dealing with injuries.

But, when they're both healthy - I think Harden comes in at 3rd.
NBA approves switch back to 2-2-1-1 NBA Finals format, effective IMMEDIATELY this year

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/230359/NBA-Owners-Approve-2-2-1-1-1-Format-For-Finals

In other news, Greg Oden is back

• jrg
  • Veteran
Gilbert Arenas May Use $100 Bills For Toilet Paper

link
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

If Greg can play 20 minutes a game in May and June...it will be awfully difficult to beat Miami.

If Greg can play 20 minutes a game in May and June...it will be awfully difficult to beat Miami.

Lol the bulls challenged the heat without Drose and the Pacers could've beat them without Granger and their other acquisitions of Scola and CJ Watson. It won't be a cakewalk for the heat this year.

Plus the nets and pistons are improved somewhat so the east may actually be interesting this year.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Lol the bulls challenged the heat without Drose and the Pacers could've beat them without Granger and their other acquisitions of Scola and CJ Watson. It won't be a cakewalk for the heat this year.

Plus the nets and pistons are improved somewhat so the east may actually be interesting this year.

Heat beat the Bulls in 5 games when Rose was the MVP. Derrick Rose is a great player...but I like the match-up of Lebron guarding him in the 4th. He shut him down in the 4th quarter in 2012 series. The Bulls will be the biggest challenger to Heat though.

IMO, having Granger doesn't make Pacers any better. If anything, he takes shots away from George and David West. The only reason that series was close was because of Roy Hibbert. If Miami can neutralize 20 minutes out of 35 minutes Hibbert will be on floor - I like Miami's chances.

Miami will have a fight on their hands if they have to go through both. But, if Miami can get the top seed...then they'll likely face only one of these teams and in that case - I feel they'll have a huge advantage.

Brooklyn is interesting. Too many guys who want the ball...I don't know how it will work out. We will see.

Miami has won two titles - one with Bosh out several games in the playoffs and the 2nd with a hobbled Wade. Wade has looked better in preseason this year than at anytime last year. If Wade is close to 90% and Greg Oden is playing 20 minutes a game (both are big IFs) - I don't see any team beating them in a 7 game series.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Suns sending Gortat, lee, Brown and Marshall to Wiz for Okakor and 2014 1st round pick, source tells Y!

Draft pick will be protected thru no. 12. Suns own four picks in loaded 2014 first-round.
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Oladipo on the front of ESPN.com

link
Originally posted by Jcool:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Suns sending Gortat, lee, Brown and Marshall to Wiz for Okakor and 2014 1st round pick, source tells Y!

Draft pick will be protected thru no. 12. Suns own four picks in loaded 2014 first-round.

just saw that. Gortat could be great with Wall

• MuggD
  • Veteran
@ESPNStatsInfo Suns could have as many as 4 1st-rd picks in 2014: Wiz pick is top-12 protected, Indy lottery protected, Minn top-13
Originally posted by Muggins:
@ESPNStatsInfo Suns could have as many as 4 1st-rd picks in 2014: Wiz pick is top-12 protected, Indy lottery protected, Minn top-13

And Sarver will sell them all for cash!

Now that's the way to build a team
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Muggins:

Not a bad move. Draft's gonna be really strong next year. Even if you get a couple of picks in the early teens - you've a shot at a good player. But, they can't miss on the top 5 pick they're guaranteed to land.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
1 more guy....
Share 49ersWebzone