LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Official FLOYD MAYWEATHER thread; Money vs. Maidana!

Mayweather vs Canelo broke the PPV record! http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9694996/floyd-mayweather-canelo-alvarez-top-grossing-ppv-fight

Money will be paid nearly $100 million when it's all said and done.

Love him or hate him the guy is the smartest guy in the room as well as the ring. Can you believe the highest paid athlete, and the smartest boxer in the ring dropped out of high school? Who is behing the Money Mayweather magic when it comes to financial deals and marketing?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Mayweather vs Canelo broke the PPV record! http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9694996/floyd-mayweather-canelo-alvarez-top-grossing-ppv-fight

Love him or hate him the guy is the smartest guy in the room as well as the ring. Can you believe the highest paid athlete, and the smartest boxer in the ring dropped out of high school? Who is behing the Money Mayweather magic when it comes to financial deals and marketing?

He has no endorsements.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
it was the highest grossing fight in terms of dollars but not in PPV numbers. Fell short by 300K to the Money/De La Hoya fight.

still a crazy achievement though.
What makes Money's financial accomplishments even more amazing is he makes all the mula even despite his "boring" style. Guys like Andre Ward get criticized for having a defensive style that isn't exciting to the fringe, or casual fans. Analysts say that a guy like that won't be a big PPV draw unless he throws bombs and makes it exciting for the casual fans. While this is true for the most part, Floyd's greatness and his old villain act supersede everything and dude is the biggest draw. This guy is a marketing genius in today's boxing which isn't easy. All of his cockiness back in the day, the guy everyone wanted to see lose made him SO much money. He is a lot more mature and humble now as he draws closer to the end of his career. He wants to get in with the media and promotions so he isn't an a hole anymore. Not burning bridges. Much respect. Punk ass Adrian Broner needs to end his rap tour and take notes.
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:

He has no endorsements.

That makes it even more incredible!!!!!

I can't believe that though, he has to be endorsing something.
Originally posted by Amir:
it was the highest grossing fight in terms of dollars but not in PPV numbers. Fell short by 300K to the Money/De La Hoya fight.

What's the difference?
Originally posted by sacniner:
What makes Money's financial accomplishments even more amazing is he makes all the mula even despite his "boring" style. Guys like Andre Ward get criticized for having a defensive style that isn't exciting to the fringe, or casual fans. Analysts say that a guy like that won't be a big PPV draw unless he throws bombs and makes it exciting for the casual fans. While this is true for the most part, Floyd's greatness and his old villain act supersede everything and dude is the biggest draw. This guy is a marketing genius in today's boxing which isn't easy. All of his cockiness back in the day, the guy everyone wanted to see lose made him SO much money. He is a lot more mature and humble now as he draws closer to the end of his career. He wants to get in with the media and promotions so he isn't an a hole anymore. Not burning bridges. Much respect. Punk ass Adrian Broner needs to end his rap tour and take notes.

I think this is why he touts his undefeated record instead of his KO percentage.

His style is only boring to the causal fan, most boxing fans who understand what boxing is think he is brilliant.

What most of the racist (not talking about you sacniner) that respond negative to Mayweather don't understand is that he doesn't need to set his feet to throw a punch. He is a true athlete unlike most of today's boxers, he can move and fight. Fans that want to see two men stand there and go toe to toe until someone gets KO'ed don't really want to see a boxing match, they want to see two nonathletic guys throw punches at one another. Go read this book to see what I am talking about; Taboo by Jon Entine http://www.amazon.com/Taboo-Athletes-Dominate-Sports-Afraid/dp/158648026X

What's the difference?

Amir, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Floyd/Canleo PPV costs more than the De La Hoya fight. So even though the Canelo fight didn't get as many buys, they made more money (in nominal dollars, not sure about real dollars) because of the price per PPV.
Yes. There are a lot of people in this country that will pay way too much money to watch a boring fight.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM ]

What's the difference?

Amir, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Floyd/Canleo PPV costs more than the De La Hoya fight. So even though the Canelo fight didn't get as many buys, they made more money (in nominal dollars, not sure about real dollars) because of the price per PPV.

I thought it was the other way around? Didn't the De La Hoya fight cost more?

I thought it was the other way around? Didn't the De La Hoya fight cost more?

No, I'm pretty sure the Canelo fight costs more... and the DLH fight had slightly more buys.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

What's the difference?

that is correct. Floyd/DLH sold 2.5M PPV buys. Floyd/Canelo did 2.2M buys.

Floyd/Canelo was $75 HD and $70 non HD
Floyd/DLH was $55.

so it did less PPV sells but way more in terms of dollars.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/other-sports/104024-official-boxing-thread/
Originally posted by jrg:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/other-sports/104024-official-boxing-thread/

This is not boxing thread material, this is a "MONEY" Mayweather production thread!

I know some people can't stand that a black athlete is highest paid, so you can keep hating...
I dunno man.

Didn't he split the pie five ways?

Canelo productions, Mattheyse productions, Golden Boy, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone