LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Jordan was significantly better than Kobe and Lebron. Lebron has the chance to improve but right now he isn't there. Jordan gave you 50 point games regularly during the finals. Last night vs that defense he would have scored 50 plus. You just don't lay off MJ like that because he could shoot lights out inside the 3 pt line. He would laugh at these defenses. And Penny Hardaway too. If Penny stayed healthy history would read differently

Agreed but lebron is on jordan's tail.

I'm glad you brought up my fav. player of all time. While everyone and their mom cheered for jodan, I cheered for penny. Just bought his shoes a couple months back.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Someday we'll stop comparing people to Jordan. Especially when they're completely different types of players. If Shaq showed up in the league ten years later, would we compare him?

A fewdays ago there was a spurs analyst on 95.7 the game (sports radio show), he's a former player too, but I forgot who it was.

He said Michael Jordan is the most underrated player ever, because whenever a player comes in the league and has a couple great years they're immediately compared to Jordan. He said Kobe and LeBron are great, but no one compares to Jordan. He talked about how Jordan three-peated twice in a row, he said Jordan would've probably won 8 in a row if he didn't go to baseball for a couple years, (I honestly don't think that's as ridiculous as it sounds). And that no one has ever been as dominant like that.

he said other things, like Jordan made every big shot whenever he needed, he was always dominant in the finals, etc. A lot of what he said makes sense, it was a really good interview. I obviously never watched Jordan play in his prime, I was too young, but I agree with him. People need to stop comparing players to Jordan until they achieve what he achieved.

I know Pete will disagree with me on this

It was a good interview, I'll try to find it and post it in here.
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'll just leave this here...

Re-watch it and pay attention to the ticker at the bottom

Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Someday we'll stop comparing people to Jordan. Especially when they're completely different types of players. If Shaq showed up in the league ten years later, would we compare him?

A fewdays ago there was a spurs analyst on 95.7 the game (sports radio show), he's a former player too, but I forgot who it was.

He said Michael Jordan is the most underrated player ever, because whenever a player comes in the league and has a couple great years they're immediately compared to Jordan. He said Kobe and LeBron are great, but no one compares to Jordan. He talked about how Jordan three-peated twice in a row, he said Jordan would've probably won 8 in a row if he didn't go to baseball for a couple years, (I honestly don't think that's as ridiculous as it sounds). And that no one has ever been as dominant like that.

he said other things, like Jordan made every big shot whenever he needed, he was always dominant in the finals, etc. A lot of what he said makes sense, it was a really good interview. I obviously never watched Jordan play in his prime, I was too young, but I agree with him. People need to stop comparing players to Jordan until they achieve what he achieved.

found it
it was sean elliot

http://media.957thegame.com/a/76230728/sean-elliott-talks-about-the-spurs-great-play.htm?q=spurs+assistant+coach

Michael/LeBron at 6:00
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Jordan was significantly better than Kobe and Lebron. Lebron has the chance to improve but right now he isn't there. Jordan gave you 50 point games regularly during the finals. Last night vs that defense he would have scored 50 plus. You just don't lay off MJ like that because he could shoot lights out inside the 3 pt line. He would laugh at these defenses. And Penny Hardaway too. If Penny stayed healthy history would read differently

Or just once. smh

And Penny was good, but c'mon now, lol. I have read the strangest s**t on here over the last 24 hours.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM ]

cant believe dude actually kicked the dog though

dog will forever be scared of black dudes
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Or just once. smh

And Penny was good, but c'mon now, lol. I have read the strangest s**t on here over the last 24 hours.

Me too, like the Heat are better off in the finals with LBJ on the bench. Crazy talk huh?!
  • jrg
  • Veteran

My favorite was the Marlins and Mets 0-0 in the bottom of the 45th...MIA w/ 18 straight hitless games

that..and Houston losing 11-0 and 1-47 on the season
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Or just once. smh

Me too, like the Heat are better off in the finals with LBJ on the bench. Crazy talk huh?!

I was stating fact, not opinion. Miami's been outscored with LeBron on the court in 4 out of the 6 games. I never said I'd take him out, but the facts are the facts.

My favorite was the Marlins and Mets 0-0 in the bottom of the 45th...MIA w/ 18 straight hitless games

HAHA I didn't even notice the scroller first time.

LOL @ WNBA is this really a sport?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I also liked the Alex Rodriguez 0-4 5 strikeouts lool
I was stating fact, not opinion. Miami's been outscored with LeBron on the court in 4 out of the 6 games. I never said I'd take him out, but the facts are the facts.

And I'm saying +/- is a completely worthless stat without context. If the Heat are -20 with LBJ in G1 but then win G2 G3 G4 where they're +1 with him in each of these games, they're still -17 when he's on the court overall. Game 1 just could have been a blowout and G2/3/4 close games.

+/- is might be useful when assessing specific lineups in specific situations, not individual players over the course of a series. There are way too many other factors to consider.

Someone posted this earlier:

For the series, the Heat have scored 131.7 points per 100 possessions when James is on the floor without Wade, and just 100.8 when the two have shared the floor, per NBA.com. The Heat are minus-12 for the series, but the James–Mike Miller–Ray Allen super-shooting trio is a crazy plus-50 in just 68 minutes, per NBA.com. The James-Miller-Chalmers trio is plus-43 in just 80 minutes, and the combination of those four players is a stunning plus-49 in just 29 total minutes together, per NBA.com.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM ]

i knew you'd disagree right when I type that he said Jordan is underrated, lol.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

i knew you'd disagree right when I type that he said Jordan is underrated, lol.

Jordan is over-rated...because ppl think he did things which he never did. Like, giving 50 pts in the finals regularly...or didn't face elimination games like Lebron...etc. Jordan was great...we will see where Kobe and Lebron finish their career.
Share 49ersWebzone