There are 192 users in the forums

2013 Oakland A's thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
I love how A's fans try and take credit for "saving" the Giants. Major League Baseball made you guys do it. There's no reason the A's would've tried to prevent an 11th hour move to Tampa Bay. You guys stood a ton to gain from it. Major League Baseball was very much interested in keeping one of their classic franchises in the bigger market, who already had nearly 35 years of history in SF.

When the Magowan investment group jumped in to save the team, giving up those territorial rights was just a necessary move to finalize the process. The MLB office basically told the A's what was going to happen. They didn't want to send a team with such baseball history out to play in a Costco warehouse in Florida. Like I said, the south bay was Giants territory in fan population anyways.

There is a way to build a stadium in the east bay, the A's just aren't as interested because SJ is the prize location.

Exactly, and now MLB will tell the Giants how its going to be and they are going to suck Selig's cawk and like it damnit because the MLB doesn't want to end up in court and risk losing their anti-trust exemption. Giants will get some form of increased revenue sharing or other payout from the owners to maintain the exemption, and the A's will get a new stadium in San Jose. In time, the Giants butt-hurt will heal.

As far as classic franchises, you're talking about the A's like they are the Montreal Expo's and not one of the most storied and oldest franchises in MLB history.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is a bunch of crap. If not for

Exactly, and now MLB will tell the Giants how its going to be and they are going to suck Selig's cawk and like it damnit.

As far as classic franchises, you're talking about the A's like they are the Montreal Expo's and not one of the most storied and oldest franchises in MLB history.

the A's also accomplished helluva lot more than the giants did at that time. (im talking pre AT&T park)

I ignored that post because it was a load of bs lol.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
If the A's really wanted to they could just move to Levi's Stadium

....and call themselves the "Los Angeles Athletics of San Jose"

Bud Selig deserves this....now for the complete trifecta of the players union suing for unsanitary conditions at O.co
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I feel bad for Oakland, I think the teams there should stay there
listening to the lead attorney in the lawsuit on 95.7

This guy has a lot of experience in antitrust lawsuits
This could be an absolute precedent setting case if this ends up making its way through the court system.
Its interesting that this guy represented the Rams against the Raiders when the Raiders tried to move into Los Angeles and the Rams fought them on similar "territorial claims" like the Giants have...and lost. He's basically saying that based on California law and based on cases in other sports, the Giants have really no leg to stand on, MLB doesn't have the right to interfere with business between the A's and San Jose.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is a bunch of crap. If not for

Exactly, and now MLB will tell the Giants how its going to be and they are going to suck Selig's cawk and like it damnit.

the A's also accomplished helluva lot more than the giants did at that time. (im talking pre AT&T park)

I ignored that post because it was a load of bs lol.

I didnt say anything in that post that wasnt true.

The A's arent faced with leaving the bay area. They have their own territory to build a stadium, they just dont like it. MLB forced the A's to hand it over because it saved the Giants from leaving the market. They arent forcing the A's now because its a move they just covet, not need to survive.

Privately financing a stadium in CA is incredibly difficult. The Giants had a carefully detailed plan on how to make it work based on having those corporate sponsors. Giving us a cut of what you guys make from it isnt good enough. Its just as good as someone stealing 100 bucks from you, but returning 25. That is going to be the Giants leg to stand on in court, and its a strong case.

The A's arent faced with leaving the bay area. They have their own territory to build a stadium, they just dont like it. MLB forced the A's to hand it over because it saved the Giants from leaving the market. They arent forcing the A's now because its a move they just covet, not need to survive.

Privately financing a stadium in CA is incredibly difficult. The Giants had a carefully detailed plan on how to make it work based on having those corporate sponsors. Giving us a cut of what you guys make from it isnt good enough. Its just as good as someone stealing 100 bucks from you, but returning 25. That is going to be the Giants leg to stand on in court, and its a strong case.

The suit also claims that Major League Baseball's constitution, the sport's governing framework, expired last year and that owners failed to renew it. That meant any team's territorial claims also expired, the suit says.

Hmmmmm....Have a feeling the Giants are about to reap a load of karma
Originally posted by teeohh:
I feel bad for Oakland, I think the teams there should stay there

Or, at least in Fremont (what happened to that plan?)

The East Bay will be deserted. After the Dubs leave, if the A's leave, the only team left will be the Raiders and that ain't right. Everybody wants that Silicon Valley paper.

• teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

The suit also claims that Major League Baseball's constitution, the sport's governing framework, expired last year and that owners failed to renew it. That meant any team's territorial claims also expired, the suit says.

Reap a load of deez nuts
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

lol I still dont get why A's fans feel like the team is the tormented little brother. Theres all this weird rage against the Giants, like they dont deserve everything theyve gotten over the years. Its pure jealousy.

The Giants choosing to block the A's is to protect their business model, its not personal. Plus think about this, the south bay is where a HUGE percentage of Giants fans have lived for decades. The Giants play in the city of SF, but the fanbase mostly lives in the south bay. Now obviously nobody who is already a Giants fan is going to convert to be an A's fan just because they moved in. But, future generations of kids from SJ will start becoming A's fans, because its their hometown team now. They will grow up going to A's games. The Giants are going to lose that future fanbase, almost like its killing the fan "farm system".

Having grown up in SJ, I understand how much of a big deal that territory is to the Giants. You saying the Giants are going to receive some bad "karma" for not giving up this property to the A's is ridiculous. Its WAY too important for our franchise to just give up.

What if they tried to move the Kings to SJ? You dont think the Warriors would have something to say about it? Its not about who gave who territory 20 years ago, its about the fact that the Giants depend on the south bay for business and building their fanbase.
This puzzle will inevitably be solved when all Bay Area teams move to San Jose/Santa Clara
Niners99, the city of San Jose wants a baseball stadium. San Jose is one of the biggest cities in the entire US. Why is it that San Jose shouldn't be able to have their own baseball team if they so choose given the fact that they are a large city capable of supporting their own franchise?

The city of Oakland has yet to provide a feasible solution to the A's stadium situation in the 10+ years the A"s have been trying to get a new one. How can you say that the A's don't actually need to move to San Jose and can get a stadium in the East Bay but they just don't want to because they want a piece of your San Jose cash-cow? If the A's can't get a stadium in San Jose then yes, they just might have to leave the Bay Area because staying in the dump that is the Coliseum (and given recent developments that is not merely a figure of speech anymore) long term is not an option,
  • jrg
  • Veteran
can't wait for cardinals/athletics coming up
Share 49ersWebzone