LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

2013 MLB Regular Season Wrapup Discussion Thread

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Alot of the distances posted are off, but theyre all BOMBS. Great montage of the longest HR's ever.

7:56 Edwin Encarnacion tees OFF.

I didnt watch the whole thing so I dont know if this one was in there but this one was awesome

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=19127709

Yeah that was on there. The 2nd half of the video is the best part. My favorite was probably the Galarraga 529' grand slam at Miami.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

LOL But that throw WAS awesome.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
little league

So if a manager loses a challenge, what do they lose?

Should be charged with an out. For the manager on defense, they should lose an out on their next at bat thus only have two outs.

If a team is batting, they get charged an out if lost. So they can easily have two outs if a manager loses a challenge with one out.

This would assure that the game goes by faster.

Being charged an out would be equivalent to losing a timeout in football.
[ Edited by robniner on Aug 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Kolten Wong takeover begins

Oh yeah. September couldn't wait

NEXT UP: Oscar Tavares.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:

Oh yeah. September couldn't wait

NEXT YEAR: Oscar Tavares.

fixed. hes done for the year
  • jrg
  • Veteran
the new challenge thing is dumb

why only 1 in the 1st 6 innings?

if you wanna give em 3..it should be able to be used whenever they want

what if you have more than 1 super close calls within the 1st 6? you're just screwed?
the new challenge thing is dumb

why only 1 in the 1st 6 innings?

if you wanna give em 3..it should be able to be used whenever they want

what if you have more than 1 super close calls within the 1st 6? you're just screwed?

This challenge feature will make the NFL product look superior.

You lose a challenge, you lose a timeout.

Originally posted by robniner:
So if a manager loses a challenge, what do they lose?

Should be charged with an out. For the manager on defense, they should lose an out on their next at bat thus only have two outs.

If a team is batting, they get charged an out if lost. So they can easily have two outs if a manager loses a challenge with one out.

This would assure that the game goes by faster.

Being charged an out would be equivalent to losing a timeout in football.

Are you kidding me? You want to change outs based on challenges? Thats a HORRIBLE idea. The idea is to try and affect the game the least amount possible.
More replay = good. Manager Challenge System instead of 5th Booth Umpire call-in for specific close plays = terrible
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
More replay = good. Manager Challenge System instead of 5th Booth Umpire call-in for specific close plays = terrible

I dont get whats so hard about a system where every ump crew has a designated booth guy, who will confirm or overturn any questionable calls. Train special booth umpires, since the on field guys arent going to want to take turns being off the field.

Challenges are a crappy idea. Just make sure every questionable call is addressed.

I also wish the umpires were held to a higher standard with keeping a basic, consistent strike zone. Its not even about what kind of zone the ump has, its consistency. If you call low strikes between the catchers knees, keep it consistent, and dont then call high strikes as well.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Address every questionable call lol the game would take 5 hours

No way they are adding 20 some umps when they can use five guys in NY to do the same thing

By using challenges you still keep strategy in the game.

I think the using the retired umps in NY is a good idea.

What's dumb is the nfl asking that dude on the phone if the umps at the game are making the right call. Just call that guy and get rid of the stupid booth lol
Originally posted by SoCold:
Address every questionable call lol the game would take 5 hours

No way they are adding 20 some umps when they can use five guys in NY to do the same thing

By using challenges you still keep strategy in the game.

I think the using the retired umps in NY is a good idea.

What's dumb is the nfl asking that dude on the phone if the umps at the game are making the right call. Just call that guy and get rid of the stupid booth lol

How many questionable calls are there per game that dont have to do with balls and strikes? By questionable I mean calls that cause the manager to come out and argue. That happens 1 or 2 times a game. It wouldnt take 5 hours to correct a couple close plays on the bases.

They already use the reviews for HR's, so it would essentially just be adding very close plays on the bases, fair or foul down the lines, and trapped balls. Even if they had to review a dozen calls a game it would still be under the amount of time that a normal Yankees/Red Sox game is.

The point is whether they add a booth ump, or doing it long distance to NY, they could just make sure ALL the major mistakes are corrected. The entire point is to get the calls right, not to turn it into a game of challenges, limiting managers to certain amounts per game.

The NFL limits challenges because there so much going on at once, that coaches could throw a challenge flag for every call they didnt like. NFL coaches are screaming at the refs after every play about something they screwed up or didnt see. In baseball things are very uniform, and outside a couple close plays a game, the umps dont get much argument from managers that doesnt have to do with the strike zone.

Just use common sense. Was the ball fair or foul? HR or double? safe or out? trapped or caught? We have the technology now to get it right quickly, and I dont think we should be limiting how much we can get right. Every play that needs review ends up taking a bunch of time anyways with the arguing. Might as well use that time on figuring out the correct call instead of umpire/manager bravado.
Share 49ersWebzone