LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Pop Warner Football (The future of the NFL)

I was inspired by the high school football thread. Check out how it all went down in Florida this year at the pop warner national championships:

http://www.popwarnersb.com/12superbowl/jrmidgetbrackets.asp

I saw a stat once that said %75 of the NFL players played in this league. I bet a huge percent of the other %25 played in other youth leagues.

Anyone on this board have a connection to a pop warner team? Let's support these young people by talking about the local teams in your area as well as the results from last year and expectations for next year.

Keep in mind these are kids so please try not to go over board.
[ Edited by glorydayz on Jan 26, 2013 at 7:41 AM ]
Okay, so I will start.

It looks like my local pop warner league is called Peninsula pop warner http://ppwls.com/ . Apparently it is the second largest league in the country! Check out the teams here: http://ppwls.com/associations.html

Looks like we are running things in this region because we sent 7 or 8 teams to the national championships in division 1 & 2 in Florida 3 from Oakland, 1 from Almaden, Andrew Hill (San Jose), West Valley (Saritoga) and Sunnyvale.

Seems like Oakland AKA; East Bay Warriors are the team to beat. Anyone know anything about this East Bay East Youth Football Program?
[ Edited by glorydayz on Dec 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM ]
Check it out!

Steve Stenstrom, former Stanford & NFL Quarterback is coaching one of our local Pop Warner Football teams! http://mapopwarner.com/football/
I was reading an article and saw that his assistant coaches are Greag Baty (former Miami Doplphin Tight end with Dan Marino), Dave Fiore (former Guard of the San Francisco 49ers with Steve Young). http://mapopwarner.com/media/

Steve Bono was also coaching over at the Palo Alto Knights Pop Warner Program! His son went on to play for Palo Alto High School and is now at UCLA. http://www.vikingsportsmag.com/featured-athlete/2011/03/25/quarterback-christoph-bono-creates-his-own-sports-identity/ The more research I do the more I see how this stuff can work for high school, college, and nfl developement.
[ Edited by glorydayz on Dec 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM ]
So one dsay we can see two former 49ers quarter backs son's playing against each other!

Blake Stenstrom VS. Christoph Bono

Here's the kicker, Christoph Bono could be throwing to Jerry Rice Jr over at UCLA next year!
Goldson, Whitner: Pop Warner to popping

By Eric Branch
Unfortunately for NFL wide receivers, two of the league's most violent tacklers didn't listen to their moms.

San Francisco's starting safeties, Dashon Goldson and Donte Whitner, both got their start in football by playing Pop Warner on the sly.

In Los Angeles, Goldson, a fourth-grader, used his birthday money to sign up for the Tri-City Falcons. In Ohio, Whitner, 8 years old, hid his equipment in the backyard after returning from practice with the Cleveland Warriors.

By the time they were eventually found out, it was too late. The aggressive sport provided an outlet for two kids who barely knew their biological fathers – Goldson considers his stepfather his real dad, and Whitner's father spent the first 16 years of his son's life in jail.

About two decades removed from their covert beginnings, Goldson, 28, and Whitner, 27, still share plenty in common. This season, they became the first safeties on the same team to become Pro Bowl starters since Philadelphia's Brian Dawkins and Michael Lewis in 2005.

"To me, Whitner and Goldson are the two best tackling safeties in the game," said CBS analyst and former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who had two Pro Bowl safeties, Carnell Lake and Troy Polamalu. "They've had the ability to transition into this very limited area that you can now tackle and hit players. And, at times, you do miss it by an inch or two inches. And you have to suffer the consequences of that."

Whitner and Goldson have effectively played old-school football under new NFL rules that can sabotage attempts at intimidation. In an increasingly safety conscious league, they haven't always hit their shrinking targets (Goldson has been fined $38,875 for three hits), but neither is known for dirty play.

Goldson just missed his mark in a 41-34 win over New England on Dec. 16 when he separated New England tight Aaron Hernandez from the football with a violent – and what appeared to be legal – tackle. But Goldson was fined $21,000 for what the NFL deemed a helmet-to-helmet shot.

The tackle, however, had the desired effect. Later in the game, Hernandez shied away when he was targeted with a pass that was intercepted by linebacker Aldon Smith. This week, Cowher said Goldson's hit had a lasting impact.

"Hernandez kind of short-armed a ball on a screen out there that turned into a pick," Cowher said. "… It's the cumulative effect of the hits over a period of time that pay off in the third and fourth quarters."

Last week, it was Whitner's turn. After Atlanta's Julio Jones caught a 13-yard pass over the middle in the third quarter, Whitner walloped the wide receiver and screamed at him as he got back onto his feet. At that point, Jones had eight catches for 148 yards. Over the next 17 minutes: two catches for 10 yards.

"Some things you say out there, you can't really repeat," Whitner said. "It wasn't a really nice message. I told him to stop running through our defense, and hopefully that slowed him down a little bit."

San Francisco's brothers in harm have helped slow down plenty of high-powered passing attacks this season. The 49ers went 6-1 against quarterbacks ranked among the top 10 in passer rating, and cornerback Carlos Rogers said Goldson and Whitner played a huge role. They sometimes made an impact just by hovering in the neighborhood of a would-be pass-catcher.

"You'll see guys kind of watching, seeing where they are before they snap the ball," Rogers said. "They're seeing who's coming down and whether they're going to be able to catch the ball or not. It's amazing when you see it on film, how guys duck or dodge the two safeties coming at them."

Next up for the 49ers is Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco in the Super Bowl on Feb. 3 in New Orleans. On Friday, Goldson looked ahead to the next challenge, but also took time to reflect.

How, exactly, did his mom find out he was playing Pop Warner behind her back? He smiled as he explained. Dressed in his uniform, he outfitted his sister in his older brother's football equipment so they could stage tackling drills in the garage.

"I kind of struck a little hard, and she got upset," Goldson said.

His fuming sister then told their mom, Desrene Williams, about the secret start to her brother's football career.

Still, Goldson's mom let him keep playing. And another mother in Cleveland, Deborah Whitner, did the same after discovering football equipment in her backyard.

Years later, Whitner and Goldson can thank their protective and ultimately understanding moms: They've gone a long way in a sport they went to great lengths to play.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I was inspired by the high school football thread. Check out how it all went down in Florida this year at the pop warner national championships:

I saw a stat once that said %75 of the NFL players played in this league. I bet a huge percent of the other %25 played in other youth leagues.

Anyone on this board have a connection to a pop warner team? Let's support these young people by talking about the local teams in your area as well as the results from last year and expectations for next year.

I played pop warner.

went to a national championship and won it all in 1998.

Julian Edelman, Pats WR was our RB/LB he was a beast among beasts
Originally posted by Garcia:

I played pop warner.

went to a national championship and won it all in 1998.

Julian Edelman, Pats WR was our RB/LB he was a beast among beasts

What team did you play for?
Check out what Jim Harbaugh said about youth sports in regards to concussions;

"I have a four-month-old son, Jack Harbaugh, and if President Obama feels that way, then there will be a little less competition for Jack Harbaugh when he gets older," Harbaugh replied, stirring the room into laughter.

Great answer, and Harbaugh wasn't finished. "It's still early," Harbaugh continued. "Jack is five months old but he's a really big kid. He's got an enormous head. We don't have a 40 time on him yet, but his wingspan is plus-one. As soon as he grows into that head, he's going to be something. It's early, but expectations are high for young Jack."
Yeah, I was pretty surprised Obama said that. I guess he would have that luxury with his kids... Kids and parents in the "hood" may not have that luxury. Being busy with football is a lot better than hanging out on the streets. He shouldn't use his influence to criticize a sport that this country is enamored with IMO. Dude got a damn opinion he is vocal with about everything... even Kayne West, lol.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
Yeah, I was pretty surprised Obama said that. I guess he would have that luxury with his kids... Kids and parents in the "hood" may not have that luxury. Being busy with football is a lot better than hanging out on the streets. He shouldn't use his influence to criticize a sport that this country is enamored with IMO. Dude got a damn opinion he is vocal with about everything... even Kayne West, lol.

I'm still trying to decipher this completely retarded response.

1. What does Obama's opinion as a parent have to do with parents/kids in the "hood"?

2. What luxury did Obama have with his kids?

3. How is "not playing football" a luxury? I would argue the opposite....being able to play it is a luxury...not every kid can nor wants to.

4. There are other sports which which don't have the concussion risk of football.

Disclosure: I played football in High School, and suffered at least two concussions on separate occasions.

Harbaugh's response is probably even more idiotic...and filled with much irony given what happened with Alex Smith. He's 49ers' coach, I like him as coach, but he can be a tool.

Originally posted by kray28:
I'm still trying to decipher this completely retarded response.

1. What does Obama's opinion as a parent have to do with parents/kids in the "hood"?

2. What luxury did Obama have with his kids?

3. How is "not playing football" a luxury? I would argue the opposite....being able to play it is a luxury...not every kid can nor wants to.

4. There are other sports which which don't have the concussion risk of football.

Disclosure: I played football in High School, and suffered at least two concussions on separate occasions.

Harbaugh's response is probably even more idiotic...and filled with much irony given what happened with Alex Smith. He's 49ers' coach, I like him as coach, but he can be a tool.

Calm the hell down man and don't resort to name calling on the net like some hoe. I don't even want to get in this debate with you.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
Calm the hell down man and don't resort to name calling on the net like some hoe. I don't even want to get in this debate with you.

1. I didn't call you any names.

2. You called me a name.

3. You don't have much to debate. You spouted some nonsense, and got asked to explain it, and now you can't.
Originally posted by kray28:
1. I didn't call you any names.

2. You called me a name.

3. You don't have much to debate. You spouted some nonsense, and got asked to explain it, and now you can't.

Sorry for the name calling and honestly, I really don't want to debate it with you. You obviously feel pretty passionate about it. It's not a big deal for me. Maybe if I thought about it more I would change my mind. I was just caught off guard with your "retard" comment.

Whats up with the numbering, bro? Relax man. Get laid, if you can. If you are incapable, just pay for it. Peace, one love.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

redwood city 49ers.
Originally posted by Garcia:

redwood city 49ers.
That's cool, do you follow the program? I looked them up online and I see they are in the same division as Steve Stenstrom's kid. How is that Redwood City 49ers program and did that program help to develope Edleman or was he already a stud when he got there?
Share 49ersWebzone