LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Alabama vs Notre Dame: BCS Championship

• Garce
  • Veteran
Is Notre Dame the worst #1 seed to play for a BCS game ever?

What a joke.
Bama's defense really isn't as NFL quality as it's been in the past and you have a ask the question about what happens when Alabama doesn't run the ball for 9 yards a carry every game.

Sorry they don't have a chance against an NFL team. Maybe if you allow them to carry over some of their studs from previous in their dynasty we have a conversation.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
the worst NFL teams use to play the best college team in the nation every year.

the NFL stopped that after 6 straight losses.

the college ranks are closer to NFL levels of size and speed now more then ever.

you get the right college team(not this Bama team for sure) and a bad enough NFL team with a dumb coach and epic bad QB and who knows what could happen.

Where in the world did you come up with that? Link?

The defending Super Bowl champions used to play a College All-Star team during the preseason, but they canceled that in '77.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

the college ranks are closer to NFL levels of size and speed now more then ever.

you get the right college team(not this Bama team for sure) and a bad enough NFL team with a dumb coach and epic bad QB and who knows what could happen.
we're not talking about 1940's football LOL back then players were nothing close to the players of today

The speed of the game is far different today from college to pros

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000088482/article/pete-carroll-scoffs-at-idea-of-collegians-beating-pros
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

we're not talking about 1940's football LOL back then players were nothing close to the players of today

The speed of the game is far different today from college to pros

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000088482/article/pete-carroll-scoffs-at-idea-of-collegians-beating-pros

we aint talking about pre-face mask and s**t here.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

The defending Super Bowl champions used to play a College All-Star team during the preseason, but they canceled that in '77.

Interesting that one of the last few games was the college all-stars (which wasn't even a cohesive team, just a collection of players brought together for this game) came close to beating the reigning super bowl champion Steelers in 1975, 21-14. So I wonder what would've happened if the reigning college national champions of that year (as a team, with experience in their system and familiarity with each other) played the worst NFL team from that year. Or even if this college all-star squad (who came close to beating the world champs) would've played the worst NFL team from that year, instead of the best.

And yes, it's very much a different game in the NFL now than it is in the 70's, but the question is why? Part of the answer to why the NFL is so different now, with bigger, faster, stronger more athletic players is that college players are bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic than they were in the 70's. There's a clear gap between the two (the best college team and the worst NFL team), but it's not the order of magnitude that some people are making it out to be.

Just my crazy opinion.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
You guys are hilarious. This bama team is probably the worst national title team in the last decade. They got b*tch slapped by Texas A&M and wouldn't have even been in the National Title game if Ohio State wasn't bowl banned. They would get shut out and have a minimum of 50 scored on them. Probably 70.

I agree that Bama would get beat but certainly not to the extreme like you suggest. This is a team that has probably 10 players that will be drafted in the first 4 rounds in the next couple of drafts. As for where they stand in the last decade.. maybe. The last champion I remember that was worse was the 2002 Ohio St. team. That team had to win 7 games by a TD or less and 2 OT games.
Any NFL team would rape and pillage any college team. It would be ugly. To think otherwise, is insane. NFL players are insanely bigger and faster than in the 70s.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
we run it maybe 4 times a YEAR. Ask your self why we only run it 4 times a year

and how successful have we been at it?

Yeah but the key to an option is it only takes one time for it to work and it will go for a huge gain. Remember Kaepernick running a long a TD in against Miami? Its kind of a feast or famine type of running play.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Interesting that one of the last few games was the college all-stars (which wasn't even a cohesive team, just a collection of players brought together for this game) came close to beating the reigning super bowl champion Steelers in 1975, 21-14. So I wonder what would've happened if the reigning college national champions of that year (as a team, with experience in their system and familiarity with each other) played the worst NFL team from that year. Or even if this college all-star squad (who came close to beating the world champs) would've played the worst NFL team from that year, instead of the best.

And yes, it's very much a different game in the NFL now than it is in the 70's, but the question is why? Part of the answer to why the NFL is so different now, with bigger, faster, stronger more athletic players is that college players are bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic than they were in the 70's. There's a clear gap between the two (the best college team and the worst NFL team), but it's not the order of magnitude that some people are making it out to be.

Just my crazy opinion.

It certainly isnt 50+ points like some would suggest. I think 14-17 is about right against the worst NFL team and 30+ against a top team.

Originally posted by sacniner:
Any NFL team would rape and pillage any college team. It would be ugly. To think otherwise, is insane. NFL players are insanely bigger and faster than in the 70s.

But you have ZERO proof of this, other than your opinion. And it's not like college football players aren't bigger and faster than they were in the 70's too. Where do you think these insanely bigger and faster players come from, a manufacturing plant in Singapore? No, they come from the college ranks.

But the point is, people are stating this as a fact, when there's no recent evidence or examples today. There's no accounting for conditions such as the right college team, the right coaching staff with the right game plan and the right breaks of the game going their way against a hapless NFL team with a s**tty QB, slow defenders and an idiot head coach.

Given the right conditions, I think almost anything is possible in terms of a competitive activity.
But you have ZERO proof of this, other than your opinion. And it's not like college football players aren't bigger and faster than they were in the 70's too. Where do you think these insanely bigger and faster players come from, a manufacturing plant in Singapore? No, they come from the college ranks.

But the point is, people are stating this as a fact, when there's no recent evidence or examples today. There's no accounting for conditions such as the right college team, the right coaching staff with the right game plan and the right breaks of the game going their way against a hapless NFL team with a s**tty QB, slow defenders and an idiot head coach.

Given the right conditions, I think almost anything is possible in terms of a competitive activity.

Everyone is bigger and faster becasue of PEDs, earlier training, tech, etc. Although, a lot of college kids are still growing. To throw them in with a pack of grown a55 wolves is crazy. Remember, even the best college teams usually have a small number of players make the NFL. And a REALLY low number of players that actually have a decent career.

No NFL team would have "slow" defenders when compared to the college ranks. The best, fastest DBs and LBs make the NFL. They may be slow relative to the NFL, but do you think any of them would be "slow" against the college ranks? The cream of the crop makes the NFL. Even the s**tty NFL players.

Sometimes common sense can be the only evidence needed.

In fairness you did say that the Alabama team would roll the Ken Dorsey lead teams like it was a fact.

Everyone is bigger and faster becasue of PEDs, earlier training, tech, etc. Although, a lot of college kids are still growing. To throw them in with a pack of grown a55 wolves is crazy. Remember, even the best college teams usually have a small number of players make the NFL. And a REALLY low number of players that actually have a decent career.

No NFL team would have "slow" defenders when compared to the college ranks. The best, fastest DBs and LBs make the NFL. They may be slow relative to the NFL, but do you think any of them would be "slow" against the college ranks? The cream of the crop makes the NFL. Even the s**tty NFL players.

Sometimes common sense can be the only evidence needed.

I think its safe to say that 1/2 of the Bama starters will be drafted fairly high and make an NFL team including 3 or 4 first rounders. That doesnt mean they would or could beat an NFL team though.

Just my crazy opinion.

Yes, but the converse of the "they weren't even a cohesive team" point is that the Steelers were playing a meaningless exhibition game in August, whereas that College All-Star team was playing a group of their idols. I'm sure that game meant a lot more to the kids than the pros. I don't think guys like Franco Harris or Joe Greene were gonna go balls to the wall in that situation and risk injury. I don't know what was customary at the time, but I also wonder if the NFL teams would play their starters for the entire game, or if they'd treat it in a similar fashion to the way preseason games are handled now.

We've all seen what a joke the Pro Bowl is, with grown men playing grab ass for 4 quarters while trying to not get hurt, and it doesn't bear any resemblance to real football. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this exhibition was similar in nature, at least from the NFL side of things.

If there was actually something at stake for both an NFL team and a college team, I think the college team would get smoked. Too much of a size/speed discrepancy up front on both sides of the ball, IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone