LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 362 users in the forums

11 Time WS Champion St. Louis Cardinals Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by reno9er:
Originally posted by jrg:
I think that is the backup plan. They want Heyward back. If they don't get him, they still have options like Alex Gordon. Even if they don't get HIM, they can do as you said and use Holliday, Grichuk, Piscotty in the OF and Adams at 1st. THEN go after someone like Price/Greinke.

Well dayum, where are we at on this?

lol

Still sitting pretty.
[ Edited by jrg on Dec 25, 2015 at 9:54 PM ]
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Niners99:
So jrg, as a fan who has probably watched your fair share of Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija from an opponents perspective over the years, what is your honest opinion of those 2 guys? (Setting aside any ill will, of course.)

Between my previous knowledge from the occasional matchup, and looking over the numbers, I have a good idea of what were getting, but im curious to get your perspective on it.

Honestly I think both are great signings for you guys. Your offense doesn't necessarily have the "big" bat (Posey is great, but I mean a big HR/RBI threat), but you guys still score runs. Giants have a lot of guys who aren't household names, yet are very solid overall. Guys like Crawford, Panik, Duffy, etc. If you don't follow the game super close you may not know who they are. With that being said, they still get the job done.

The red flag for me was the pitching. You have one of the best in baseball in Bumgarner, but after that where do you go to? Playoff series. Who do you go to after Bum? Leake gone, Heston eh, Cain and Peavy eh. Cueto and Samardzija adds some MUCH needed depth. Now (if they go in as is) you have Bumgarner, Cueto, Samardzija, Peavy for that series. Absolutely critical moves to bring those in.

Now this is all assuming Cueto and mainly Samardzija bounce back. Cueto is a little more reliable, but you never know. Samardzija was one of my favorite non-Cardinals players. Ask John or vrabbit. I always had him in our fantasy leagues. With these two I think its either gonna be a great signing or a bad signing. Both have the potential to be solid and near top of the rotation guys. They also have shown lately they can be very "average" pitchers as well. Pitching at AT&T I think will help both tremendously.

I think the NL West will be fun to watch. The NL Central and NL West both are right there as the best divisions in baseball IMO. I think it was the Diamondbacks and Dodgers as favorites before, but following these two moves the Giants are right there in the mix. If they add a bat like Cespedes/Gordon/Upton they may leapfrog to favorites in that division.

Unfortunately were never really going to have a true "big bat" of the likes you suggested, just because our stadium doesnt allow it. Posey and Pence are about as good as it gets, which is perfectly fine, but thats about 25/100 production, tops. The last time a Giants hitter not named Barry Bonds hit 28+ HR in a season was Jeff Kent in 2003. For the first time in years our offense isnt a concern, especially if we land a LF.

I asked about Cueto because initially my perception of him was 'hot and cold' and 'injury prone'. But I looked into him further after the signing, and was pretty surprised to find out that he has a 2.71 ERA over the last FIVE years, which is better than everyone in baseball over that span besides Kershaw, all while pitching at Great American. I didnt realize he was that dominant. He also made 30+ starts in 6 of 8 seasons, and really only missed time from the one injury.

I figure that even if he regresses due to age, the adjustment from a bandbox to a lefty graveyard will balance things out. As long as he stays healthy, it seems like we got a 2nd ace for relatively cheap.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
New 1B?

• jrg
  • Veteran
Wish this f**ker would stop smoking weed

Top 10 MLB prospect

• jrg
  • Veteran
  • jrg
  • Veteran
The never ending injuries from last year continues!

Peralta out 2-3 months w/ torn ligament in his thumb

Awesome!
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
James. I had my fantasy draft last night and decided to do closers and catchers towards the back end. Anyway, I saw Yadi there and was like SWOOOOOP. Then started looking harder and it looks like he might have fallen off the cliff for really reals? How do you feel about his upcoming season?
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
btw also added Carlos Martinez kinda late too. Had him last year. Some f****t took Carpenter and then Leake right before me as well. lol
[ Edited by MuggD on Apr 1, 2016 at 6:45 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MuggD:
James. I had my fantasy draft last night and decided to do closers and catchers towards the back end. Anyway, I saw Yadi there and was like SWOOOOOP. Then started looking harder and it looks like he might have fallen off the cliff for really reals? How do you feel about his upcoming season?

Never really been a solid option for fantasy. I expect more of the same. Average between .270-.280, maybe10 HR, 60-70 RBI.

Originally posted by MuggD:
btw also added Carlos Martinez kinda late too. Had him last year. Some f****t took Carpenter and then Leake right before me as well. lol

Really excited for Carlos Martinez this year. Think this will be the year he really breaks out. Guy just has sick stuff. Carpenter would have been nice. One of the top 3B out there. Leake is decent, but nothing special when it comes to fantasy.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Yeah I'm talking like round 20 with Yadi. Also similar round with Leake. Was surprised to see Yadi that late, he's such a gamer, but then again I guess it makes sense.

• jrg
  • Veteran
BTIB getting in the win column tonight ladies
I predict jrg u should be posting about the redbirds in another week or so. I know took me about 3 weeks to get over the Rangers losing in game seven of the conference finals last year.at least u didn't make it to the Stanley Cup finals and lose 3 games in overtime with getting robbed in one and then the nhl admitting they were wrong 4 months later . b*****ds
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Peralta back. Wong sent to AAA.

Carpenter moves to 2B. Peralta at 3B. Diaz remains at SS.
oh hello there mr james.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Gonna be weird w/ Wong down in AAA, but he needs to get his head straight. 5 year/25 million contract at the beginning of the season. Came into the season cocky (wanted the leadoff spot). Been terrible since. Tonight is the first night w/ Peralta. f**king love the lineup for tonight.

Share 49ersWebzone