LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They will most likely be fine. But the face 3 problems.

1) Are the kids as good as Jerry Buss was?

2) They now have the highest state income tax in the country making a big difference for max contract pro athletes. You already see a lot of top players going to Florida and Texas the last few years. No state income tax there.

3) The new cap penalties come into play. You go above 100 million in fines if you exceed the salary cap for a certain # of years in a row under the new rules. So it will be tougher for anybody to pay fines like that. Even teams that are used to paying more. 100 million plus fines per year is a lot even for organizations with a lot of money.

Except for Mikhail Prokhorov
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They will most likely be fine. But the face 3 problems.

1) Are the kids as good as Jerry Buss was?

2) They now have the highest state income tax in the country making a big difference for max contract pro athletes. You already see a lot of top players going to Florida and Texas the last few years. No state income tax there.

3) The new cap penalties come into play. You go above 100 million in fines if you exceed the salary cap for a certain # of years in a row under the new rules. So it will be tougher for anybody to pay fines like that. Even teams that are used to paying more. 100 million plus fines per year is a lot even for organizations with a lot of money.

Except for Mikhail Prokhorov

Prokhorov may pay it. But even for rich owners that's a 1 billion dollars in 10 years. Either going into our out of your pocket. Owners are going to think about that. That's a lot even if you are rich. That's not like a 5 million fine. It's not in the same category.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Lakers will be fine. They are one of the greatest NBA franchises and it's ok if they don't win a title for a few years. In the end, Lakers will be fine because enough great players will want to come play there to play basketball.

Maybe. No guarantees though. The Knicks were considered a great franchise once in the #1 city in the country and how long has it been for them? They need to get a superstar though the draft.

The Knicks? The f**king Knicks?

There are other franchises besides the Lakers.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Lakers will be fine. They are one of the greatest NBA franchises and it's ok if they don't win a title for a few years. In the end, Lakers will be fine because enough great players will want to come play there to play basketball.

Maybe. No guarantees though. The Knicks were considered a great franchise once in the #1 city in the country and how long has it been for them? They need to get a superstar though the draft.

The Knicks? The f**king Knicks?

There are other franchises besides the Lakers.

I think his point was that the Knicks have won 2 titles in their history, and none in 40 years. Sort of a large jump to so easily compare them to the Lakers. I get what he's saying, but I get sincal too. lol
Originally posted by susweel:

comparing Knicks to Lakers, lol

go pick up a history book.

The Knicks were a great franchise once. Earl the Pearl, Walt Frazier, Dave Debucchere, Willis Reed. Knicks games at Madison Square Garden were the event back in their time. My point was........... even playing in NY and having a rich history hasnt helped them in many years. It is not beyond comprehension that it could happen to the Lakers. It isnt beyond belief that the Clippers could be THE team in LA. It COULD happen that the great Dr. Buss' children arent too smart when it comes to running a team.

Nothing lasts forever. There are simply no guarantees that the Lakers will get back on top anytime soon. And as for the history book... Im quite aware of who has won titles.
Lakers amnestied Artest, saving $30 million in Luxury Tax.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think his point was that the Knicks have won 2 titles in their history, and none in 40 years. Sort of a large jump to so easily compare them to the Lakers. I get what he's saying, but I get sincal too. lol

I wasnt saying that the Knicks franchise was ever as good as the Lakers. People get so butt hurt sometimes. I was simply making a point, as you just said, that long runs of failure (or at least not winning titles) can happen to any franchise even those in the biggest cities where you wouldnt think it would happen.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I wonder if he knows about that.

Hopefully the Kings put a bid on him.

I wasnt saying that the Knicks franchise was ever as good as the Lakers. People get so butt hurt sometimes. I was simply making a point, as you just said, that long runs of failure (or at least not winning titles) can happen to any franchise even those in the biggest cities where you wouldnt think it would happen.

I get all that. I really do. There's a possibility that the whole run of unbelievable success is all over for years to come. Anything is possible. But there's been absolutely no record of that in the history of this franchise, so until it happens, I think it's fair to consider the possibility of them reloading and being a contender just as possible, if not more than likely. It was Kobe and a bunch of hacks when Mitch took over, and everybody said it was over. Badda-bing, badda-boom, they went to 3 straight Finals and won 2.

Originally posted by 9erReign:

I get all that. I really do. There's a possibility that the whole run of unbelievable success is all over for years to come. Anything is possible. But there's been absolutely no record of that in the history of this franchise, so until it happens, I think it's fair to consider the possibility of them reloading and being a contender just as possible, if not more than likely. It was Kobe and a bunch of hacks when Mitch took over, and everybody said it was over. Badda-bing, badda-boom, they went to 3 straight Finals and won 2.

No doubt that is true. However, you had Dr. Buss and the 2nd greatest SG and fiercest competitor ever. I really believe the Lakers will need some luck to get there this time. When I say luck, I mean to get lucky in the lottery and get a superstar. I dont think you can win a title these days without that happening.

I am not hating on the Lakers here by the way.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Let's be real. No one liked Howard, but we all realized he was a huge defensive presence. I was really pissed we put up billboards asking him to stay, cuz that's chickensh(t....

Having said all that I'm bummed he chose Houston, but I'm already over it. I couldn't stand the guy. He's a mental midget and an offensive liability IMO. If it wasn't a layup, or an alley-oop, his post moves were a rich man's Kwame Brown. We're gonna have the same if not better record next year without him, and a ton of more money.......So what does it really matter? We just got swept as an 8 seed, really what are we missing? Better to clean up, move on from that d-bag.
I stand by what I think, that Howard had not fully recovered from his back surgery. Coming from someone who has had two, some people never get back to 100%.
No one liked Howard? All the Laker fan's I know were thinking championship, I know a guy who plunked down $1,000 that he didn't have on the Lakers winning it all the second that Dwight signed. He is just a scape goat for an aged team that had a lot of injuries.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Yes and he changes his name back
Share 49ersWebzone